How hard is a social work degree? and how does it around personal life?

Watch this thread
ashleighleech1
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm considering doing a degree in social work, i'm only 17 but will be 18 next year. I'm wondering how demanding the course is, time spent in lectures etc.

Is it possible to have a part time job while studying to earn a bit of money, is it possible to balance out studies and work along with family, friends and social life etc
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
The social and work life fits around the degree, not the other way round.
EmEmTheFairy
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
In all honesty it depends on a number of things; a) the uni you want to go to, b) the effort you want to put in and c) how good you are at balancing your time.

My course can be quite intense, first year I struggled with a part time job and found that sometimes it meant I had to put some essays etc on hold. There is no worse feeling being at work and thinking you could be doing the essay or the reading, especially if work isnt that busy. The course is also made up of placements, which are usually full time 9-5, leaving only your weekends free, lasting for 70 days and 100 days respectively. I know people who do go out, who have part time jobs, and some are still managing it fine, whereas others have struggled. It entirely depends on you as a person and those three things I mentioned above
HB/x
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The social work degree what you may not know, things to consider before deciding to enter this career.- Academically it is hard compared to other normal courses, you have to remember it is a professional course and I believe the first year does count. be prepared to write upto 3,000 and 4,000 word essays as if you fail a module even after a retake, you may have to stay an extra year at uni to finish off that module, 4 years of uni in total! - It really is very challenging, 1st year they will train you to be able to adapt to 2nd and 3rd year placements, make sure to be in the right mental state before entering this career path as you will have to be emotionally strong. - if you are unsure about entering this career, speak to student adviser about your options because it is a big decision. - I personally wouldn't recommend this career path to younger students without experience as it may be shocking some of the case studies you may have to deal with. - really make sure you do your research!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
29.55%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (17)
38.64%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.55%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.82%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.27%

Watched Threads