How hard is an undergraduate midwifery degree? and how does it around personal life? Watch

ashleighleech1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm considering doing a degree in midwifery, i'm only 17 but will be 18 next year. I'm wondering how demanding the course is, time spent in lectures etc.

Is it possible to have a part time job while studying to earn a bit of money, is it possible to balance out studies and work along with family, friends and social life etc
aspire.1a
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there! I am in year 12 and I am also interested in pursuing this degree next September! I went to a couple of open days and there I went to a couple of Midwifery talks they had there. They told us that you will be working in shifts so you would have to work in day and night shifts and that you would have to study alongside side your given hospital placement. With regards to having time for social life etc, you will have a chance to get annual leave so you would get days off. With regards to time spent in lectures , you would would spend 50% of your time in a lecture hall and 50% in your work hospital p[placement!
It should possible, I don't know about that? Im sorry.
I hope this helps!
Just as a little side note I have an extreme passion with this course!
May I ask what A levels you are doing? Or BTEC?
ashleighleech1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by aspire.1a)
Hi there! I am in year 12 and I am also interested in pursuing this degree next September! I went to a couple of open days and there I went to a couple of Midwifery talks they had there. They told us that you will be working in shifts so you would have to work in day and night shifts and that you would have to study alongside side your given hospital placement. With regards to having time for social life etc, you will have a chance to get annual leave so you would get days off. With regards to time spent in lectures , you would would spend 50% of your time in a lecture hall and 50% in your work hospital p[placement!
It should possible, I don't know about that? Im sorry.
I hope this helps!
Just as a little side note I have an extreme passion with this course!
May I ask what A levels you are doing? Or BTEC?
Thank you for your reply, you made useful points for me to take into consideration. During my gap year next year I will look into the midwifery course and attend taster days to find out if it's for me or not. I've chosen to take a gap year as our course has been let down a couple of times due to poor teaching and i'm currently debating if unit is for me, I'm currently studying health and social care level 3 and i'm in year 13.
midwife101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi girls...I belive i attended 6 open days to gather lots of information before i made decisions! I am going to Kingston & St Georges university to do my degree this september! I am beyond excited! Have you done volunteering as I think it can help you make your mind up and see if you like it! Personally, i did volunteering in my local hospital, care home, and for the NCT! I loved doing it and that's how i knew i wanted to go into the profession! You really will have the light bulb moment if you believe you want it enough! xxxx
aspire.1a
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
May I ask how you joined the NCT? I am looking for relevant work experience this year.
aspire.1a
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ashleighleech1)
Thank you for your reply, you made useful points for me to take into consideration. During my gap year next year I will look into the midwifery course and attend taster days to find out if it's for me or not. I've chosen to take a gap year as our course has been let down a couple of times due to poor teaching and i'm currently debating if unit is for me, I'm currently studying health and social care level 3 and i'm in year 13.
So you do not wish to enter university next year but in 2019?
midwife101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aspire.1a)
May I ask how you joined the NCT? I am looking for relevant work experience this year.
Yes ... I looked on the NCT website, contacted someone from my local branch by sending them an email telling them why I wanted to volunteer! If they don't respond, you could give them a ring instead but that's how I did it! xxxx
aspire.1a
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for your advice! So what work did you actually do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads