Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Rejected by St. Andrews for Computer Science with grades A*AA Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I recently checked UCAS track and I saw that the university of St. Andrews has rejected my application. I am so depressed now, as it is my dream to get there.
    My predicted grades are A* A A at maths physics and CS respectively and my AS grades are A A C at maths physics and CS respectively. Bare in mind that English is not my first language, as I moved to UK one and a half year ago to do A levels. St. Andrews wants at least A A A with an A at maths and I got rejected with A* A A with an A* in maths. How is that possible???

I also applied for the university of Edinburgh and I am very scared that I will get a rejection from there too. University of St. Andrews was my first choice and my favorite university for a while. Edinburgh entry requirements are a minimum of A B B with an A in maths and standard with A A A with an A in maths.

What can I do? I really want to go to St. Andrews. Do I have a second chance? What if I get 3 A* at the A2 exams?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Chill. I got accepted by Edinburgh like a week ago with predicteds AAA for the exact same course. There is no way they'll decline you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It may have been your personal statement or your fee status (EU students are capped in Scottish unis), there is a whole range of factors.

ReputationRep:
    You were probably rejected because of your C grade at AS level computer science - because of that, they may feel that your A prediction is a bit unrealistic.

I doubt you'll have the same problem with Edinburgh as they only need a B in that subject.

If you do get at least A*AA in your actual a-levels, then I'm sure you'd have an excellent chance reapplying to St. Andrews, although you will have to take a year out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balabanator)
    Chill. I got accepted by Edinburgh like a week ago with predicteds AAA for the exact same course. There is no way they'll decline you.
    Thanks for your reply.

What did you get on your AS level? What do you do outside of school?

Apologies for asking the second question but I need to understand what universities are looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    You were probably rejected because of your C grade at AS level computer science - because of that, they may feel that your A prediction is a bit unrealistic.

I doubt you'll have the same problem with Edinburgh as they only need a B in that subject.

If you do get at least A*AA in your actual a-levels, then I'm sure you'd have an excellent chance reapplying to St. Andrews, although you will have to take a year out.
    I know, but A level CS is full of theory and written questions and I am bad at it due to my low English level.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geo 14323)
    I know, but A level CS is full of theory and written questions and I am bad at it due to my low English level.
    Did you reach St Andrew's minimum English requirement? eg IELTS

ReputationRep:
    Bare in mind that English is not my first language, as I moved to UK one and a half year ago to do A levels. St. Andrews wants at least A A A with an A at maths and I got rejected with A* A A with an A* in maths. How is that possible???
    You should ask for feedback. They can give you the real reason(s), whereas we're all guessing.

ReputationRep:
    I understand, but because of that, St Andrew probably thinks that you're unlikely to get an A in the A-level, so even if they did make you an offer, you'd be unlikely to meet it.

If your English level is really so low, are you likely to get an A in the A-level? Look at it from St A's perspective.

Universities generally accept predicted grades where you've gone up one grade from the AS (e.g. B to A) but they tend not to trust them when you've gone up 2 (e.g. C to A).

If your English has improved, and you prove them wrong by getting an A or A*, then by all means reapply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Did you reach St Andrew's minimum English requirement? eg IELTS
    I hanen't got any English qualifications. I called them a while ago and they mentioned to me that many applicants don't have English qualifications. Also, I would be tested for English.

ReputationRep:
    I understand, but because of that, St Andrew probably thinks that you're unlikely to get an A in the A-level, so even if they did make you an offer, you'd be unlikely to meet it.

If your English level is really so low, are you likely to get an A in the A-level? Look at it from St A's perspective.

Universities generally accept predicted grades where you've gone up one grade from the AS (e.g. B to A) but they tend not to trust them when you've gone up 2 (e.g. C to A).

If your English has improved, and you prove them wrong by getting an A or A*, then by all means reapply.
    Ok. Can I ring them once I get my A2 results or they will see my results immediately once I get them and then, they will email me again to offer me a place?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.

What did you get on your AS level? What do you do outside of school?

Apologies for asking the second question but I need to understand what universities are looking for.
    I'm doing all my exams this year, including AS and A2.

We were given predicteds by our schools based on our internal mocks.

I did a lot of work experience and worked really hard on my personal statement too.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I hanen't got any English qualifications. I called them a while ago and they mentioned to me that many applicants don't have English qualifications. Also, I would be tested for English.
    You would have to have a minimum proficiency at English, check here and click your country to see what it would be for St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balabanator)
    I'm doing all my exams this year, including AS and A2.

We were given predicted by our schools based on our internal mocks.

I did a lot of work experience and worked really hard on my personal statement too.
    Therefore that implies that you are doing A levels in 1 year? I do work experience with the technicians where I repair broken computers and devices at my school.

ReputationRep:
    Therefore that implies that you are doing A levels in 1 year?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Either your PS or the C at AS let you down. You can reapply next year if you really want to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    Either your PS or the C at AS let you down. You can reapply next year if you really want to
    By taking a gap year or at the summer when I get my results? I will be 19 years old though.

ReputationRep:
    If you actually get those grades, you should get in next year (as long as you meet the minimum requirements etc.)

ReputationRep:

I got for AS: AABCC and still got accepted into Imperial College.
    Pretty sure it's more about the personal statement.
    • Very Important Poster

By taking a gap year or at the summer when I get my results? I will be 19 years old though.
    If its really important to you then you would take a gap year. !9 isnt old. If you cant wait a year then it cant have been that important.

You dont appear to have gotten any feedback, so it would make sense to find out from them whether it was your PS or level of English.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.