The Student Room Group

How do you atudy maths?

I want to know how different people approach to learning maths :smile:

I don't :colonhash:
Original post by Rakkidoesscience

It depends if you want to do it the good old fashioned way you can buy various books, algebra, trig etc or if you want to just get good at solving problems there are dozens of problem sheets available online.

What kind of math do you want to learn?
i look at youtube tutorials and do textbook questions.
Then closer to the exam i purely do past paper questions.
Reply 4

If you are talking about A-level then this applies very successfully, but can also be used for almost any other type of maths exam you are studying for.

First of all, what you do is look at your textbook, read the whole thing front-to-back and read the examples until you make sure you understand them. Any topic you don't quite get, do some questions from the book, if you still don't get it, search it up on youtube or go to examsolutions, theres loads of resources.

Second, once you are done with the textbook, take two or three papers and write down every single formula, definition, or process that you need to remember (even if its on the formula sheet), once you're done, you can refer it to any time and eventually you'll start remembering all of it and won't need it anymore.

Thirdly, you start doing past papers, non-stop, all day past-papers. There is no other way to guarantee top marks. You should be looking at min. 4 past papers in one day and 6 if you stay focused. By the time your exams come, your going to get so used to it, that you'll be going into the hall and doing the paper as if it's like another past paper, which will help ease the tension. Also, with maths, there's not a lot to memorize, in the sense if you do a particular question enough times, you'll be able to do it every time in whatever way it comes up, because you have the method nailed. The questions in past-papers also tend to repeat themselves endlessly, maybe with different information or wording, but the method and approach stays the same albeit for some unusually difficult questions.
Reply 5
Books and videos mainly.
Then I just use what i've learned and apply to the paper.
Original post by AishaGirl
It depends if you want to do it the good old fashioned way you can buy various books, algebra, trig etc or if you want to just get good at solving problems there are dozens of problem sheets available online.

What kind of math do you want to learn?

I am currently doing gcse and I'm struggling at doing probabilities :smile:
Original post by mathcon
If you are talking about A-level then this applies very successfully, but can also be used for almost any other type of maths exam you are studying for.

First of all, what you do is look at your textbook, read the whole thing front-to-back and read the examples until you make sure you understand them. Any topic you don't quite get, do some questions from the book, if you still don't get it, search it up on youtube or go to examsolutions, theres loads of resources.

Second, once you are done with the textbook, take two or three papers and write down every single formula, definition, or process that you need to remember (even if its on the formula sheet), once you're done, you can refer it to any time and eventually you'll start remembering all of it and won't need it anymore.

Thirdly, you start doing past papers, non-stop, all day past-papers. There is no other way to guarantee top marks. You should be looking at min. 4 past papers in one day and 6 if you stay focused. By the time your exams come, your going to get so used to it, that you'll be going into the hall and doing the paper as if it's like another past paper, which will help ease the tension. Also, with maths, there's not a lot to memorize, in the sense if you do a particular question enough times, you'll be able to do it every time in whatever way it comes up, because you have the method nailed. The questions in past-papers also tend to repeat themselves endlessly, maybe with different information or wording, but the method and approach stays the same albeit for some unusually difficult questions.

Thank you. I am currently trying to do it this way but in gcse , the thing stoping me to do so is timing with one past paper a day I take about 2h mainly look for similar question , then seeing mistakes it then takes most of my after school hours
I am currently doing gcse and I'm struggling at doing probabilities :smile:

Try this https://www.khanacademy.org/math/statistics-probability/probability-library
Reply 9
Best way I studied maths was by having a theory book, with instructions and examples for solving different maths problems inside, then practice them in a different book.

Study groups helped in every subject, and was always good for maths.
Original post by Smud
Study groups helped in every subject, and was always good for maths.

Highly recommend study groups, by far the most efficient way of learning mathematics in my opinion. Just make sure you have some smart kids in your group lol
I write up notes on the hard things like f(x) notation and sine and cosine graphs. Once I have made notes I just to questions. Use https://corbettmaths.com
I am learning mathematics by understanding the coherences, relations and principles. And the methods of my own were different with respect to the lessons and topics.

Quick Reply

Latest