SNOWY_18a
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ABB, Economics at Bristol. Any chance for spring weeks? Will this whole corona/ predicted grades stuff count as contextual consideration?? Thinking of retaking A-Level next year during summer between first and second year. Should I take a whole gap year out instead? How important are spring weeks? Are they worth taking a whole gap year out?
astha3011
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was wondering the same for 2021
fgur987
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SNOWY_18a)
ABB, Economics at Bristol. Any chance for spring weeks? Will this whole corona/ predicted grades stuff count as contextual consideration?? Thinking of retaking A-Level next year during summer between first and second year. Should I take a whole gap year out instead? How important are spring weeks? Are they worth taking a whole gap year out?
you will be fine with ABB. Instead do a masters if you can't find a job which will counter balance ur levels. But with ABB you meet cut off which is most important.
boyiw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you get a spring week with AAD
boyiw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by boyiw)
Can you get a spring week with AAD
??
fgur987
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by boyiw)
??
Possibly as threshold is BBB for big 4 and ABB for most investment banks.
royalty1702
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
wait so the higher your grades, the better your chances?
royalty1702
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
also do spring weeks require a lot of experience because surely they are insight weeks.

What can I do to increase my chance of getting in?
Shay7849738
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
As AAA is the same ucas points as A*AB, will A*AB put me at a disadvantage and the A* is in maths ?
Shay7849738
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by IBDMaster)
The truth is yes. Lots of banks have an A-Level cut-off (usually ABB - AAB) but even meeting this, the competition is so intense that most successful people have AAA+ for front office positions.

I advice you to acquire as much work exp as possible and apply everywhere.

You can always do a masters at a target uni if need be.
As AAA is the same ucas points as A*AB, will A*AB put me at a disadvantage and the A* is in maths ?
CameronWS
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Spring week offerers won't give a toss about your grades if you don't have an amazing application.
guestuser19
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I applied for a SW programme for HSBC, the deadline was mid jan and I applied at the start of December, I got through to the last stage weeks ago and passed it but I still haven't heard back, how quickly did you hear back from yours?
Buttmuffin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
tbh in 2021, as long as you're black, study STEM/Economics, went to a semi-target and relatively motivated, you're pretty much guaranteed to land 5+ spring weeks

and if you're female too? +3 more spring offers

I'm only half trolling, my Linkedin feed literally has diversity dudes/dudettes from Notts with 9 spring week offers lol
Last edited by Buttmuffin; 5 months ago
danishh0007
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Deloo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello. I have secured a place at LSE for Sociology this year and I am thinking of applying to IB spring weeks. I am concerned that I don't know a lot about Investment banking. I know the basic idea behind it, but as I have never studied Economics, when it gets deep I struggle with jargons. I will keep teaching myself though. My question is: in order for me to be a successful candidate for an investment bank spring week, do I need to know a lot about investment banking, the sectors and what they do and all sorts of stuff?
Last edited by Deloo; 2 weeks ago
leviticus.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Deloo)
My question is: in order for me to be a successful candidate for an investment bank spring week, do I need to know a lot about investment banking, the sectors and what they do and all sorts of stuff?
Yes but you don't need to know technical knowledge for most places - you just need to be able to answer the "why investment banking" "why us" "biggest strength/weakness" stuff and have decent commercial awareness, if you're black or a girl you can apply to some diversity schemes which are much less competitive than normal applications to boost your chances.
Deloo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by leviticus.)
Yes but you don't need to know technical knowledge for most places - you just need to be able to answer the "why investment banking" "why us" "biggest strength/weakness" stuff and have decent commercial awareness, if you're black or a girl you can apply to some diversity schemes which are much less competitive than normal applications to boost your chances.
Okay final question: when I apply to one, I apply to one of the sectors at the bank right? And therefore, I should have a knowledge of that sector and tell them why I chose this sector (lets say consultancy) in the interview

Thanks a lot leviticus for answering my queries today! Best wishes!!
leviticus.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Deloo)
Okay final question: when I apply to one, I apply to one of the sectors at the bank right? And therefore, I should have a knowledge of that sector and tell them why I chose this sector (lets say consultancy) in the interview

Thanks a lot leviticus for answering my queries today! Best wishes!!
Consulting isn’t a division of a bank, they’re completely different companies. But yes, have an understanding of what they do: IBD, S&T, ER etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.18%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.67%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.96%
I need help with my personal statement (57)
40.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.09%

Watched Threads