Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was set some work to do over the holidays for psychology, and seeing as we havent even started the course it seems a bit stupid.

but if anyone has any help on the following question, it will be greatly appreciated.

"Briefly outline the contributions of Wundt, Skinner, Freud, Rogers and Darwin to the development of Psychology"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enigmatic)
    I was set some work to do over the holidays for psychology, and seeing as we havent even started the course it seems a bit stupid.

but if anyone has any help on the following question, it will be greatly appreciated.

"Briefly outline the contributions of Wundt, Skinner, Freud, Rogers and Darwin to the development of Psychology"
    How about searching on the internet for some of their work?
    Or going to a library to see if there's any books on their work...

I personally have no idea since I'll be starting psychology in september (if I get onto the course, as there's about 81 people who applied for it, and a total of about 40 can get in) so I can't be more helpful than that. But surely actually doing the work yourself would be better on the whole than asking for help from the start. Use your initiative!

ReputationRep:

Well basically they're the people who developed all the major approaches to looking at human behaviour - eg darwins theory of evolution so we behave like we do because of evolutionary factors and freuds theory about the repressed unconcious mind determining our actions and leaking out through dreams, slips of the tounge etc. I'm not too sure about the others but I'm sure you could find it easily.

I think you need to discuss each of their approaches and how they've given us a different angle on human behaviour and each approach enables us to explain some kinds of human behaviour which the others cant. You could then say about how the ideas of the people your're writing about has encouraged research which has had valuable research. I'm just thinking about the phrase "development of psychology" .... i think you should put in something about how the ideas of these people have allowed psychology to contiune developing as a science as they've added a new perspective to things.

Sorry this is so all over the place, I'll try and think of something better to write later

Do some google searched and you should come up with loads of stuff on the psychologists you mentioned as they're all really famous....it's just the tying together of the essay which will be hard.

ReputationRep:
    Noooo don't remind me of psychology!!!!!

ReputationRep:

I don't know about Wundt, however I do know a little about the others.
    Skinner was a psychologist in the behaviourist approach, and conducted animal learning studies. It was as a result of his work, that we learned about operant conditioning (e.g. punishment, positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement), which can be applied not only to animals, but to humans. It can explain mental disorders, e.g. anorexia might be positively reinforced in the form of praise given for losing weight, or attention. Also, it has been helpful in learning how to train guide dogs. Also, it has been used in prisons and mental hospitals, e.g. there is a token economy system, whereby prisoners are given 'tokens' which they can exchange for luxury items, as a reward for good behaviour.

Freud's main ideas included defence mechanisms, e.g. denial and repression, sexual stages of development, dream theory, and theory of personality. The defence mechanisms have been helpful in therapy. Different types have been developed, e.g. 'play therapy' where children can express their feelings through play, e.g. by punching a doll to express anger at someone. The sexual stages of development I've always felt are a bit dodgy, so moving on to dream theory... Freud believed that dreams could be analysed, and that there was the content that was actually in the dream, e.g. a rollercoaster, and what the item in the dream could be translated into (e.g. according to Freud, a rollercoaster would mean sex), and the idea is that through dreams, you can understand what is going on in the unconscious mind, which can be helpful to understand yourself and in therapy, too. The theory of personality is the id, ego and super ego. The id is the little devil if you like, the super ego, the angel, and the ego is what tries to balance out the two. The development of this theory can explain why we feel torn two different ways when making decisions etc.

Carl Rogers came up with humanistic theory - client centred therapy. The idea is that a client can become happier through self-actualisation. It's a good kind of therapy, and useful in that it's not as harsh as some, like cognitive and behavioural, and recognises the complex and unique nature of human beings.

I didn't learn much about Darwin but I do know it's survival of the fittest and all that kind of thing.

I hope that helps!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.