Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!!

I'm a first year UCL student. I'm writing you as I would like to have an advice. I currently speak four languages: English, italian (mother tongue), Spanish (B2) and French (B2). This summer I wanna improve my Spanish and my French, but I feel that has come the moment to start learning a new language!

My options are:

1)German - even If I think I'm not really into it. It would be useful though as I'm European and with Brexit who knows
    2)Portuguese - Since I know Spanish and Italian it wouldn't be difficult but you speak it only in Brazil and Portugal
    3) Chinese - I love it and I already know a bit of it, BUT it's VERY hard to learn and it takes a lot of time
    4) Japanese - I have been told that it's a bit easier than Chinese and it fascinates me at the same time

so what do you think? I'd love to start an Asian language, but isn't it going to take so long?

Ps consider I'd like to work either in finance/consulting or in politics (UN, diplomacy)

xx
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibac)
    Hey guys!!

I'm a first year UCL student. I'm writing you as I would like to have an advice. I currently speak four languages: English, italian (mother tongue), Spanish (B2) and French (B2). This summer I wanna improve my Spanish and my French, but I feel that has come the moment to start learning a new language!

My options are:

1)German - even If I think I'm not really into it. It would be useful though as I'm European and with Brexit who knows
    2)Portuguese - Since I know Spanish and Italian it wouldn't be difficult but you speak it only in Brazil and Portugal
    3) Chinese - I love it and I already know a bit of it, BUT it's VERY hard to learn and it takes a lot of time
    4) Japanese - I have been told that it's a bit easier than Chinese and it fascinates me at the same time

so what do you think? I'd love to start an Asian language, but isn't it going to take so long?

Ps consider I'd like to work either in finance/consulting or in politics (UN, diplomacy)

xx
    If you want to work in diplomacy/the UN then you would be well advised to get your French up to C1 (ideally C2) before you begin a new language.

I think you should discount German and Portuguese, there's no point trying to learn a language you don't enjoy, no matter how useful or easy it is. Go with Chinese or Japanese. I've never heard that Japanese is easier than Chinese. The Foreign Service Institute language difficulty rankings puts both Japanese and Chinese into category 5 ("Languages which are exceptionally difficult for native English speakers") - but says Japanese may even be a bit harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    If you want to work in diplomacy/the UN then you would be well advised to get your French up to C1 (ideally C2) before you begin a new language.

I think you should discount German and Portuguese, there's no point trying to learn a language you don't enjoy, no matter how useful or easy it is. Go with Chinese or Japanese. I've never heard that Japanese is easier than Chinese. The Foreign Service Institute language difficulty rankings puts both Japanese and Chinese into category 5 ("Languages which are exceptionally difficult for native English speakers" - but says Japanese may even be a bit harder.
    First of all, thank you very much!

I think you're right about French, in fact I was thinking of attending the Sciences Po summer school to improve it.

Regarding Chinese, I said that as I know that in Chinese there are 4 tones (which Japanese has not) for a word and each tone has a different meaning... but I still don't know

ReputationRep:
    Hey there !
    German is difficult(you have lots of declinaison like in latin) and the determinants are hard to learn, also if you are more in the latins languages it's nothing similar.(and we speak only german in germany !) but when you've learn bit of vocabulary it's a fun language !
    Chinese take a really long time to learn
    Japoneese sounds really great
    Portuguese sounds like spanish with a weird accent
    Its all i know !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jujubar)
    Hey there !
    German is difficult(you have lots of declinaison like in latin) and the determinants are hard to learn, also if you are more in the latins languages it's nothing similar.(and we speak only german in germany !) but when you've learn bit of vocabulary it's a fun language !
    Chinese take a really long time to learn
    Japoneese sounds really great
    Portuguese sounds like spanish with a weird accent
    Its all i know !
    I think I'll go either for chinese or japanese

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.