Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi iiikewldude, did you get told how you performed in your standard grade exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilal786)
    Hi iiikewldude, did you get told how you performed in your standard grade exam?
    I got a 2,3,2 in reading, writing and talking respectivly. I hate my school english dept. I showed them up by getting my band 1 at higher! They predicted me a C band 5.

ReputationRep:
    Uff, dont remind me. I heard about how some students take caffeine pills to get through all their work, is there any point in doing this?

ReputationRep:
    At school, students should be eating well and trying to sleep well and not faffing about toooo much the rest of the time. A good balance is key to being successful in the exams - caffeine pills will do no good.

ReputationRep:
    Caffeine pills? Oh god!
    Well I may need them but I won't be taking them. Can't be good for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Caffeine pills? Oh god!
    Well I may need them but I won't be taking them. Can't be good for you.

Terrible, what's wrong with a bottle of Bru? My higher excellence plan has a hitch in it. I have been off sick the first 2 days of SCHOOL!!!! Arggghhh, I will try and get back tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Awww what's wrong? {huggles}
    I'm so tired I wish I could take tomorrow off!
    Ah well spares periods 1 and 2 and assembly third. Hopefully I can sleep on the couch in the common room :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally, I know a guy with AAAAC (C in English) at Higher who got in to Vet Med at Glasgow, I think. He had done LOTS of work experience, but that was all.

ReputationRep:
    What's the advice for getting As in Advanced Highers? Advice needed asap so I can implement it asap. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    What's the advice for getting As in Advanced Highers? Advice needed asap so I can implement it asap. Thanks
    Keep up - I was terrible at not doing this as I did two of my subjects on my own, which meant a mad panic in the last few months especially since both of them required investigations. That's another thing - find out what investigations/assesments/NABs/practicals you need to do early and make sure they all get done.

Aside from that, do LOADS of revision. There really is no comparison to Higher here - at Higher you could flick through a chemcord book a few days before the exam and come out with an A, here there aren't even any revision books! Past papers are also very useful - I did at least a decade of AH/CSYS maths past papers and 6 from a book of "practice papers" (one of the few subjects I managed to find these for) in the 2 days before my exam and it made the exam seem so much easier that I actually enjoyed it!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - I'm the first and indeed, only person doing AH Modern Studies in my school. What should I do to ensure I get through it all and get a good grade in the end? Where can I acquire Advanced Higher past papers?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Daibhidh Thankyou very much. These are helping although the papers may cost me a bit.

HOw many people in Scotland got 5 As if the statistics are out there.
    The statistics are available on the SQA website. I think they're kind of hidden but they are very complete - you can get statistics for how many people got A's (or indeed passes, fails, etc.) for each subject offered at each level.

RyanW Yeah - I'm the first and indeed, only person doing AH Modern Studies in my school. What should I do to ensure I get through it all and get a good grade in the end? Where can I acquire Advanced Higher past papers?
    Don't think AH past papers are actually published - at least they weren't when I did mine last year. Ask your school though because they might have some lying around - or might be able to acquire some from somewhere else if they don't.

Hope that helps!
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    AH past papers will be published this year. They should be released about late September.

They will only be published for the science subjects and also english, i.e. subjects with a high-uptake.

ReputationRep:
    im doing crash higher biology and crash higher geography.... im finding it okay just now..... im also doin higher english, maths n chemistry..... i used to love chemistry but my teacher left n now we have 1 hell of a bitc* so i just dread goin 2 class.... :mad: im abit stuck in english.... i dnt kno what 2 do 4 my personal study.... any ideas ppl??? :confused: i was thinkin bout "wild swans" by "Jung Chang" but just lookin at the thickness of the book puts me off it....

hmmmmm......

ReputationRep:
    Short books can sometimes be good. Maybe something like To Kill a Mockingbird?

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm...... i dont think my teachers gonna let me do sumthin like that..... she's got this theory that we should all do a personal study on a "new n modern" book instead of "old classics" because too many ppl do that n it gets borin 4 the ppl marking them n by doin sumthin different its gonna get the markers attention or something like that!!!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Something different is good, but I would say more people tend to do modern books because they're on average easier to read. Classics are classics for a reason .

ReputationRep:
    yeahhh.... good point!!! try tellin my teacher that.... lolzzzz
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by maryam786)
    hmmmm...... i dont think my teachers gonna let me do sumthin like that..... she's got this theory that we should all do a personal study on a "new n modern" book instead of "old classics" because too many ppl do that n it gets borin 4 the ppl marking them n by doin sumthin different its gonna get the markers attention or something like that!!!! :confused:
    Does 1984 come under 'old classic'? I did it for my SSL (couple of years ago now so I'm pretty sure that's what the personal study is) cos it was nice and short and apparently not tooooo overdone! Probably not going to grab the attention of the marker but I think it's well-known without being too popular.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    No

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.