Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennLlama)
    Does 1984 come under 'old classic'? I did it for my SSL (couple of years ago now so I'm pretty sure that's what the personal study is) cos it was nice and short and apparently not tooooo overdone! Probably not going to grab the attention of the marker but I think it's well-known without being too popular.
    Jenn xx
    Would have thought it's quite a popular one. It's not toooooo ancient, but I probably would term it a classic. Classics are books that everybody's heard of, even if they haven't read them. One of those books you always feel you should read .
    It's probably quite a good one. I know one of the guys in my class did it last year anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Would have thought it's quite a popular one. It's not toooooo ancient, but I probably would term it a classic. Classics are books that everybody's heard of, even if they haven't read them. One of those books you always feel you should read .
    It's probably quite a good one. I know one of the guys in my class did it last year anyway.
    1984's great!!! a bit depressing though... I wouldn't call it a piece of literature, any the same with many others, because it has a powerful plot, but in other areas it's not really groundbreaking...
    Great read though..

Ever read ctacher in the rye?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I wouldn't really call that literature
    At least, I didn't get why people love it so much, although it was a reasonable read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Yeah but I wouldn't really call that literature
    At least, I didn't get why people love it so much, although it was a reasonable read.
    NOOOO! I want to slap Holden! *******! I did George Bernard Shaw plays - classic, funny and unusual.

However, I do have some exciting Higher English news - I got published in one of the markers packs as an example answer! Apparently, humour is a good thing in Higher English (personally, I thought I was bloody mad at the time when I answered the final question talking about how all the poepl in the exam hall looked to me.) Anyway, apparently there are no names attached but my teacher could "just hear me saying it" and asked me. Hoho - I'm an example. Lots of little platinumkis running around.

ReputationRep:
    What did you write about?

ReputationRep:
    hey! :hello: i got 5 A's too! WOOHOO!!!

Similarly, I had a lot of trouble with english last year, my teacher may have been the nicest one eva but she was absolutely hopeless @ teaching.

However, START WORKING NOW!!!

I worked all the way from a prelim fail to an A - band 1

There is hope yet!!
    GOOD LUCK!!

Leanne xx

ReputationRep:
    How do you know what 'band' you are?

ReputationRep:
    Ask your subject teacher - they'll tell you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh goodness no, I'drather get it explained on the net. My teachers think anyone that asks that type of question is too full of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (In my experience they usually are But I'm sure you're not like that)

You could always ask a head of dept. if you didn't want to ask your class teacher. In maths, the head of dept. came into our Advanced Higher class to tell us our bands. I just told him I didn't want to hear it (didn't want to hear the girl who got a band 1 A gloating if I got a band 2 to be honest).
    Mind you I know I got a band 2 in Computing cos my teacher got all confused over the marks he got back and I had to prove to him I got 80% rather than 56% or something he thought I'd got.
    And my friend went and asked the head of physics behind my back :mad:

ReputationRep:
    This is what the bands usuallly are, but it depends on the difficulty of the exam and how every1 else performed.

Band 1 - 100%-85%
    Band 2 - 85%-70%
    Band 3 - 70%-65%
    Band 4 - 65%-60%

..... etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I got AAABB at higher B's 4 chem and english, and have just got an offer of BB for Edinburgh, and have an interview 4 Glasgow 4 vet medicine. So it is important to work really hard for your exams, but I think for vet medicine you should make sure you get as much work experience as possible done 2!! Thats the only reason I got an offer. Try to get as wide a variety as possible. If you get your results back and you dont have the 5 A's tht you want, as long as you've shown commitment to vet medicine and can show them you'll make a good vet, despite others having better marks, there's still a good chance you'll get a place!! So work hard in school , get as much experience as you can and you should get in!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.