Russian jets fly simulated attack run against US destroyer

Watch
AlexanderHam
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
This is absolutely insane. Wars have started this way.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN15T2MU
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The "simulated attack runs" were last year. The Russians often pull stunts like this to show off/chest thump, then the media publish enticing articles about it because it looks worrying. Nothing new. NATO is very familiar with the routine. Calm down. Yaaawn.
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
The "simulated attack runs" were last year
You're confused, fella. This is a new incident that occurred the other day. When Russian aircraft fly at/over US vessels at low level, they are undertaking a simulated attack run.
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AshEntropy)
AlexanderHam 's threads are boring and silly. I miss the days when I could talk to him normally and he wasn't politically angry all the time
He's got a real hate-boner for Trump, too. Like 90% of his thread topics are about him. It's getting a little sad.
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AlexanderHam)
You're confused, fella. This is a new incident that occurred the other day. When Russian aircraft fly at/over US vessels at low level, they are undertaking a simulated attack run.
I'm quoting the article. The most recent Russian fly-by was not described as a simulated attack pass - that was the other one last year.

Attack passes follow a specific flight profile and sequence of manoeuvres. It's not just flying low near a ship.
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A US Arleigh-Burke class Aegis missile destroyer perhaps isn't the wisest ship to annoy. It's certainly among one of the most feared anti-aircraft ships in the world due to its SPY radar system & SM-2 missiles.

The Russians were being somewhat reckless but I'd imagine (and hope) the US would repay the favour if any of Russia's tinpot navy attempted to sale near American waters. Maybe the next time Ivan sends his ships through the Channel we should send the Red Arrows to fly at 250ft over them?
ManiaMuse
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tempest II)
A US Arleigh-Burke class Aegis missile destroyer perhaps isn't the wisest ship to annoy. It's certainly among one of the most feared anti-aircraft ships in the world due to its SPY radar system & SM-2 missiles.

The Russians were being somewhat reckless but I'd imagine (and hope) the US would repay the favour if any of Russia's tinpot navy attempted to sale near American waters. Maybe the next time Ivan sends his ships through the Channel we should send the Red Arrows to fly at 250ft over them?
Well the red arrows don't have guns and the smoke trails are the same colours as the Russian flag so might be giving off mixed messages...
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ManiaMuse)
Well the red arrows don't have guns and the smoke trails are the same colours as the Russian flag so might be giving off mixed messages...
It would take a couple of hours to fit the Hawks with gun pods and missiles. All the aircraft are capable of having them fitted. Indeed, in the 'bad old days' the Hawks were considered an ancillary defence force.
Flying Lotus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
It would take a couple of hours to fit the Hawks with gun pods and missiles. All the aircraft are capable of having them fitted. Indeed, in the 'bad old days' the Hawks were considered an ancillary defence force.
Slightly off topic, but would the Red Arrows ever be upgraded to the Hawk T2? (I'm assuming it's the T1 variant still)
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Flying Lotus)
Slightly off topic, but would the Red Arrows ever be upgraded to the Hawk T2? (I'm assuming it's the T1 variant still)
We've only got a few T2s and they're needed for training. The pool of T1s is bigger and can be rotated through the airframes with less hours. So there's no pressing need to move up just yet, but in a few years time they'll be a need to replace them, then who knows?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (392)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (301)
43.43%

Watched Threads