Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article: 15 things that only happen in university halls Watch

• TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Moving into halls is one of the most exciting parts of the whole uni experience; a lot of memories will be made in your little dorm room.

So whether it’s new eating habits, questionable sleep patterns or living with hundreds of other students, here’s a glimpse at what you can expect when you move into uni halls…

1. Stepping over a sleeping Smurf when you leave for your 9am lecture
    It’s usually a medic. Or a lawyer. Have fun trying to scrub blue paint off the carpet for the rest of the year.

2. There’s always a stranger at your kitchen table… and nobody seems to mind
    You shuffle into the kitchen in your sunglasses to make yourself a coffee, and there’s someone flicking through Tinder at the table. “Hey, I’m Tom, I’m Greg’s mate from home”, says the stranger. You nod blearily, before realising you don’t know a Greg either.

Read more>>
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    HAHA lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    HAHA lol
    Literally can't wait to start uni

ReputationRep:
    The last one got me.

ReputationRep:
    Number 8 and 15 was pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    16. Somebody, usually quite early in the first term, will be spotted getting the baked beans out of a can one at a time after piercing a hole with a hand-operated can opener and not taking the top fully off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    16. Somebody, usually quite early in the first term, will be spotted getting the baked beans out of a can one at a time after piercing a hole with a hand-operated can opener and not taking the top fully off.
    I only recently learned that people eat beans without heating them first. Barbarians!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athematica)
    I only recently learned that people eat beans without heating them first. Barbarians!
    Hehe. That beats the old staple meal: tomato soup followed by Instant Whip.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe. That beats the old staple meal: tomato soup followed by Instant Whip.
    An irrelevent comment: I appreciate the advice you wrote on your profile regarding personal statements. Recently, we were asked to write first drafts of our own PSs and in reading "Ever since I was 6--" and "From the vastness of space to the intricacies of time!" in others' initial attempts, and not seeing the tutors correct this, I cringed, giggled, and felt content in my relatively mature approach in what feels like a more meaningful communication of my interests, achievements and compatibility for the course I'd like to study. Thanks for using that space to help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athematica)
    An irrelevent comment: I appreciate the advice you wrote on your profile regarding personal statements. Recently, we were asked to write first drafts of our own PSs and in reading "Ever since I was 6--" and "From the vastness of space to the intricacies of time!" in others' initial attempts, and not seeing the tutors correct this, I cringed, giggled, and felt content in my relatively mature approach in what feels like a more meaningful communication of my interests, achievements and compatibility for the course I'd like to study. Thanks for using that space to help!
    Thank you. How unexpected! And welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for uni, so excited!

ReputationRep:
    that was very funny well done
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Number one :lol:

I used to wake up most Thursday morning's still in my fancy dress costume :ninjagirl:

Snakebite is the devil :devil3:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Loveeeee this. :laugh:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I wanna go to uni so bad :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Sammeee! how long do you have left? For me only 1 and a bit years

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit glad I got rejected for halls, it means I didn't have to deal with this (though one of my housemate is extremely lazy and makes the house smell like weed).

One thing that I can relate to is finding a stranger in the kitchen: almost every week whichever accommodation I go to, there's always that one guy no-one knows.

(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Your time will come soon.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheYearNiner)
    Sammeee! how long do you have left? For me only 1 and a bit years
    This year if I get my A2 game on
    :hugs:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    I'm a bit glad I got rejected for halls, it means I didn't have to deal with this (though one of my housemate is extremely lazy and makes the house smell like weed).

One thing that I can relate to is finding a stranger in the kitchen: almost every week whichever accommodation I go to, there's always that one guy no-one knows.

Your time will come soon.
    I hope so
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Can only relate to the laundry one

goddamnit

have developed a habit for Saturday 6am laundry after an all nighter
    -WILD ik :cool:

ReputationRep:
    And I happen to be that "somebody".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.