Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you know how much loan you're getting yet? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucykins)
    £5332 + £1000 HE grant yey! but in London i doubt that will buy me a cardboard box...
    That's a fairly impressive loan! Good point about the cardboard box

ReputationRep:
    £1960 - basically 800 quid plus tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    £4095 + £1000 HE grant. WOOOOO
    hey fishpaste - did you get told about the grant on the same bit of paper as the loan?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard anything about my loan :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Not heard anything either except my art ID. Not too bothered though as there is another 6 weeks and I know they'll deal with it. Might not even need to use the loan at this rate anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get hardly anything. So my mum giving me £6500 each year.
    I told her that people get about 6000, but by the looks of it people get 5000, ah well. lou x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    hey fishpaste - did you get told about the grant on the same bit of paper as the loan?
    I got the same as fishpaste and you do get told about the grant on the same bit of paper.

(Or same 3 bits of paper in my case!)

Are we meant to get the same sheet 3 times?

They also had my sex as female (i'm male!), and an incorrect date of birth.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Goat)
    I got the same as fishpaste and you do get told about the grant on the same bit of paper.

(Or same 3 bits of paper in my case!)

Are we meant to get the same sheet 3 times?

They also had my sex as female (i'm male!), and an incorrect date of birth.
    If you read the letter, it says you might want to give one copy to your parents, one is for your uni, and one is for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    just over £3000. no idea how i'm gonna do this... parents hopefully going to pay the tuition fees
    I will get around £3000 and my accomodation alone is well over this :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    I sent off all the correct forms about 7/8 weeks ago now, but havent heard anything back yet (well, i've got my ART id thingy and i know they have received my application..) - how long should it take ? I really want to know how much i'm going to have to live on!!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3557902.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I will get around £3000 and my accomodation alone is well over this :eek:
    Only at Pembroke... see this is why I've ****ged the place off so much on this site. It's a great place and I've got lots of good friends there, but it's gotta be the only college where your accommodation alone exceeds the basic student loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouiseC)
    I don't get hardly anything. So my mum giving me £6500 each year.
    I told her that people get about 6000, but by the looks of it people get 5000, ah well. lou x
    If you're mum's got any spare money floating around...

ReputationRep:

What happens if you dont have your loan at the start of term? Do they let you still study and pay it later? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Only at Pembroke... see this is why I've ****ged the place off so much on this site. It's a great place and I've got lots of good friends there, but it's gotta be the only college where your accommodation alone exceeds the basic student loan.
    It's my fault for randomly picking a college without looking into accomodation costs, it didn't occur to me that there could be such a disparency between them.

ReputationRep:
    I am getting £5,000 and a £1,000 HE Grant...it should be okay for London, because mum is giving me money for food so hopefully my loan will pay the rent and then I will just get a part time job to go out, plus I have store cards for clothes and my parents will pay for them so it should be okay...hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    It's my fault for randomly picking a college without looking into accomodation costs, it didn't occur to me that there could be such a disparency between them.
    I said repeatedly last Autumn not to apply there... wasn't it you who told me if your heart's set on a college then a bit of extra cost doesn't matter in the long run?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I said repeatedly last Autumn not to apply there... wasn't it you who told me if your heart's set on a college then a bit of extra cost doesn't matter in the long run?
    I joined UKL in November. I had already applied to Pembroke in October. I really felt at home at Pembroke, i liked the atmosphere when i was there and one of my best friends is already there. If i said that, I meant that in 15 years time i doubt that i will hold any regrets concerning college choice. However, in the short term i will suffer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I said repeatedly
    You sound like my mum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlondeFunkyChic)
    I am getting £5,000 and a £1,000 HE Grant...it should be okay for London, because mum is giving me money for food so hopefully my loan will pay the rent and then I will just get a part time job to go out, plus I have store cards for clothes and my parents will pay for them so it should be okay...hopefully!
    Another someone who's getting shed loads of money, and STILL getting loads of help from family as well.

Makes me realise how rough I must be having it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Another someone who's getting shed loads of money, and STILL getting loads of help from family as well.

Makes me realise how rough I must be having it.
    Yep, I agree. I don't get this, how come so many people are getting tons of help from their parents AND large loans + grants...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.