STEP Solution Thread Index Watch

DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm trying to setup an index for the STEP Solution Threads. I've pulled these off the old threads (since SimonM kindly added a "master index" to the bottom of each thread), but it would be good to complete it. (I know some years there's a thread per paper, so we'd need 3 links or somehow merge the threads).

If anyone cares to post links to threads for subsequent years I'll add them to this list. Also let me know of any errors etc. of course.

(Also, I've tagged people I think might be interested and are active, but if there's someone else you think I should tag feel free...)
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Also, some of the older threads have badly broken LaTeX (because the LaTeX plugin changed, so what worked then doesn't work now). I don't know if there are thoughts on pros/cons of trying to fix the LaTeX v.s. simply doing the questions again (would be good practice for current STEP candidates... )
solC
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
Also, some of the older threads have badly broken LaTeX (because the LaTeX plugin changed, so what worked then doesn't work now). I don't know if there are thoughts on pros/cons of trying to fix the LaTeX v.s. simply doing the questions again (would be good practice for current STEP candidates... )

I will happily redo/rewrite some of the questions with broken LaTeX as I do them.
SherlockHolmes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Links to all the solutions can be found here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Step_solutions

There are no solutions for STEP I 2009 though.
solC
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SherlockHolmes)

Solutions were provided for the more recent papers so I guess there wasn't much of a point writing them out on here.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
(Original post by SherlockHolmes)

Thanks - I did search briefly for it, but the TSR search system is not quite google...
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by solC)
Solutions were provided for the more recent papers so I guess there wasn't much of a point writing them out on here.
Nah, we write out solutions for papers with official solutions because

(i) we tend to make solutions right after the exam whilst official solutions take several months to come out
(ii) the official solutions tend to have rather scant detail sometimes

We wrote up STEP II/III 2009 last year precisely because of (ii), the official solutions were very sparse with detail. But STEP I 2009 had a really good writeup (the guy who writes them is very good, he's a first year DoS at Jesus now I believe)
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
FWIW, we have an index on the STEP Prep thread as well, in the OP, under "4. Solutions".
solC
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zacken)
Nah, we write out solutions for papers with official solutions because

(i) we tend to make solutions right after the exam whilst official solutions take several months to come out
(ii) the official solutions tend to have rather scant detail sometimes

We wrote up STEP II/III 2009 last year precisely because of (ii), the official solutions were very sparse with detail. But STEP I 2009 had a really good writeup (the guy who writes them is very good, he's a first year DoS at Jesus now I believe)
Oh right, that's interesting, I had always assumed it was the same person doing the writeups for all 3 papers.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
FWIW, we have an index on the STEP Prep thread as well, in the OP, under "4. Solutions".
As everyone's telling me "you idiot, couldn't you find the index?" (j/k), I should in my defense say the lack of index came up in some private discussion and so I said "OK, I'll try to compile a new one".

Very happy to find it's already been done!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Geography Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (0)
0%
The paper was reasonable (0)
0%
Not feeling great about that exam... (0)
0%
It was TERRIBLE (0)
0%

Watched Threads