Dropping out of sixth form after the first year

Watch
m8898
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm thinking of dropping out of sixth form after my first year, I'm currently 16 and studying Business, Financial studies, Health and Social and Philosophy and Ethics and I think I will pass all my AS levels but I only really care about business. I'm thinking about going to college for my second year and complete my level 3 in business but I don't know if this is possible. I don't like being there everyday and how you get treated like a child there, I've talked to people at college and they said that they are enjoying college and feel more independent there so I'd like to do my second year there. I've also thought about the possibility of doing an apprenticeship and wouldn't mind doing that but would rather get the full level 3 qualification in business. I'm also considering the possibility of going to university and would like to know if you could go to uni to study a business course with just a full level 3 qualification and 3 AS levels? I've also thought about a higher level apprenticeship once I've left full time education and want to know if the qualifications I intend on getting can help me get a higher level apprenticeship?
ScienceGeek1878
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I left sixth form before the end of my first year, to pursue an apprenticeship. It never worked out and I restarted my A Levels in college this year and for some reason am much more motivated and am getting far superior grades. Apprenticeships are very competitive and most are just an excuse for cheap labour, however some are very good and beneficial.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by m8898)
I'm thinking of dropping out of sixth form after my first year, I'm currently 16 and studying Business, Financial studies, Health and Social and Philosophy and Ethics and I think I will pass all my AS levels but I only really care about business. I'm thinking about going to college for my second year and complete my level 3 in business but I don't know if this is possible. I don't like being there everyday and how you get treated like a child there, I've talked to people at college and they said that they are enjoying college and feel more independent there so I'd like to do my second year there. I've also thought about the possibility of doing an apprenticeship and wouldn't mind doing that but would rather get the full level 3 qualification in business. I'm also considering the possibility of going to university and would like to know if you could go to uni to study a business course with just a full level 3 qualification and 3 AS levels? I've also thought about a higher level apprenticeship once I've left full time education and want to know if the qualifications I intend on getting can help me get a higher level apprenticeship?
Some apprenticeship do offer a degree along with it, but you'll have to complete A-levels. You'd be required to have at least 3 A-levels or equivalent (go to a uni website and check entry requirements, also note that each uni has different requirement).

My advice will be to sit A-levels as a private candidate during your apprenticeships if you are deciding to go to university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.63%
Note taking apps (6)
2.45%
Flashcards (47)
19.18%
Revision guides (15)
6.12%
Past papers (116)
47.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.27%

Watched Threads