Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Allister watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    lol

RX Bandits are boring and average, and if you read what I said further up my description of Allister was fairly similar, nothing great just your average pop punk band

what would you class Taking Back Sunday, FFAF etc as then.

They certainly arent Pop punk in the same way as Blink 182 and new Found Glory etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    lol

RX Bandits are boring and average, and if you read what I said further up my description of Allister was fairly similar, nothing great just your average pop punk band

what would you class Taking Back Sunday, FFAF etc as then.

They certainly arent Pop punk in the same way as Blink 182 and new Found Glory etc
    Three points here.

(1) Yes, I basically agree with you about Allister. Which is why I don't get why you were so confrontational, but that's not really the point...

(2) I'm not sure how you're coming to the conclusion that Rx Bandits are "boring and average". The Resignation is one of the most interesting records I own, both from the perspective of a musician and just someone who likes listening to records. Structurally it's inventive, musically it's accomplished, and lyrically it's impressive. Look for "Sell You Beautiful" (which I think is free somewhere) to see what I mean.

(3) I agree that TBS et al aren't pop-punk in the same way that Blink and NFG are, but then again neither are The Ramones,The Buzzcocks or The Queers, and nobody has a problem with describing them as pop-punk. I'm not a big fan of the term "melodic hardcore", but it's probably as close as you'll get.

For reference, www.fourfa.com is pretty much where you'll get the best description of emo.

ReputationRep:
    i actualy agree with most of what you say, and 'melodic' was the word i was looking for before but couldnt think of it

Matchbook Romance are the best band that fit that category :cool:

anyway RXB are just not for me, I do like Ska stuff but i just think the likes of Less Than Jake, Goldfinger and even Spunge do it better. SKA seems to be dying anyway, all the UK ska bands seem to be finishing which is a bit of a shame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    i actualy agree with most of what you say, and 'melodic' was the word i was looking for before but couldnt think of it

Matchbook Romance are the best band that fit that category :cool:

anyway RXB are just not for me, I do like Ska stuff but i just think the likes of Less Than Jake, Goldfinger and even Spunge do it better. SKA seems to be dying anyway, all the UK ska bands seem to be finishing which is a bit of a shame
    That's fair enough about Rx Bandits, they're pretty eclectic and obviously not for everyone; they're really not a typical ska band. I wouldn't really call Goldfinger a ska band after their last few albums; since Feldman became a vegan activist and fired his band's horn section, anyway.

Lightyear disappearing was a pity, but TBH I don't think the ska scene's dying. Howard's Alias are getting bigger, as are Adequate Seven, but if you don't like Rx Bandits you might well not like them as they're both pretty similar.

Edit: OK, I'll stop derailing... I promise to stop turning every media thread I post in into a discussion of what emo is. I guess I should stop posting in this forum...

ReputationRep:
    lol I remember lightyear

they tried to illegaly play at Reading in our actualy campsite after hours, somehow smuggled all the equitment in

they were alrite, quite a laugh

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.