What to study at university?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12, and I'm not sure what I'd like to study at university. My problem is that I'm basically good at everything. I either want to study maths/science or something language-oriented. I'm very good at maths, but from the feedback I've received, I'm even better at languages - they seem to think I'm *really* good at them (telling me I'm the best pupil they've ever taught, etc.). I might enjoy languages very slightly more. I'm concerned about the job prospects of language/linguistics graduates, though. I'm also concerned about wasting time - I don't particularly want to spend 3 years at university studying something that will only be tangentially related to my job (and I've never really understood how a humanities degree helps with 'personal development' or any of that kind of stuff). I also know that I can teach myself languages effectively and efficiently without going to university to do it. I just don't know if it's best to do something I know will be useful to me, or something that I'm slightly better at.

I've got 11A* at GCSE, to give you an idea of my academic ability.

I'm now studying maths, further maths, physics, French and Spanish, and I know I want to drop either physics or Spanish, I'm just not sure which to drop in terms of uni choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archipelaglobule)
    I'm in Year 12, and I'm not sure what I'd like to study at university. My problem is that I'm basically good at everything. I either want to study maths/science or something language-oriented. I'm very good at maths, but from the feedback I've received, I'm even better at languages - they seem to think I'm *really* good at them (telling me I'm the best pupil they've ever taught, etc.). I might enjoy languages very slightly more. I'm concerned about the job prospects of language/linguistics graduates, though. I'm also concerned about wasting time - I don't particularly want to spend 3 years at university studying something that will only be tangentially related to my job (and I've never really understood how a humanities degree helps with 'personal development' or any of that kind of stuff). I also know that I can teach myself languages effectively and efficiently without going to university to do it. I just don't know if it's best to do something I know will be useful to me, or something that I'm slightly better at.

I'm now studying maths, further maths, physics, French and Spanish, and I know I want to drop either physics or Spanish, I'm just not sure which to drop in terms of uni choices.
    Order yourself a big stack of prospectuses and read about all the courses available to you, the more your read hopefully one will stick out to you

ReputationRep:
    Had a similar conflict of interests, I love and am good at both humanities and technical stuff.

My compromise was to apply for Bsc Cognitive Science at Edinburgh, a subject which gives you the opportunity to study informatics, philosophy, linguistics and psychology.

Whether that will turn out to be a wise decision in terms of job prospects I dont know, but it will allow me to learn more about the things that fascinate me.

If those areas do also interest you, it may be worth a shot for you too
    If not, there are plenty of other interdisciplinary programmes out there! Just click through all the websites until you have found exactly what you need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go to taster courses, really helped me. And go to ones for courses you think are completely out of the question, you might be surprised.
    I would say languages prospects are lower, but then again with maths there's not a great deal you can do I don't think, both of them are more of a degree that opens doorways into general careers. What about Economics if you're good at maths?
    Also maybe consider joint honours, a lot of courses you can join 50% or 25% with a language. I've applied for Economics and Spanish for example.

(Original post by ions)
    Go to taster courses, really helped me. And go to ones for courses you think are completely out of the question, you might be surprised.
    I would say languages prospects are lower, but then again with maths there's not a great deal you can do I don't think, both of them are more of a degree that opens doorways into general careers. What about Economics if you're good at maths?
    Also maybe consider joint honours, a lot of courses you can join 50% or 25% with a language. I've applied for Economics and Spanish for example.
    Maths does open quite a lot of doors tbh. But I agree joint honours would not be a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    Stick to a STEM degree since it will give you better career prospects, and I know uni's such as UCL allow you to do language modules within your degree so you wont be cutting of your languages completely. Or, do a joint honours, Maths with french?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Maths does open quite a lot of doors tbh. But I agree joint honours would not be a bad idea.
    Ah, I wasn't really sure, but I don't know anything about it so there you go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archipelaglobule)

Consider degrees such as the BASc in Arts and Sciences at UCL. As well as studying a variety of subjects there is a compulsory language element.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 15, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is stopping you from being in a happy relationship?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.