The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why does the left love Islam so much?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Indeed, it is. Religion is institutionalised superstition. Both are irrational beliefs.

Well not everyone believes that religion is superstition that's only your point of view.
Original post by Sabz152
Well obviously Muslims will react in this way if their religion was being disrespected

oh dear
Original post by RedManc
For the millionth time. The left doesn't like Islam. It is the liberals who do. The Soviet Union banned anyone travelling to Mecca.

And even then, the (actual) liberals don't like Islam, they just believe in religious freedom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RedManc
For the millionth time. The left doesn't like Islam. It is the liberals who do. The Soviet Union banned anyone travelling to Mecca.

You can't really generalise like that.

I am extremely socially liberal (yet right-wing), and I despise the teachings of Islam.
Reply 24
Original post by Sabz152
Well obviously Muslims will react in this way if their religion was being disrespected what else do expect them to go and shower them with flowers. I am sure an intelligent individual like you would understand that . Also Christians have never had to face their religion being disrespected on such a large scale or otherwise they would do the same what was the crusades about?

The aim of the crusades was to take back land captured by Muslim invaders. It was defensive rather than an attack.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

People shouldn't be punished for disrespecting a religion, especially not by death. And if people are protesting against others using their freedom of speech to criticise or disrespect religions, that shows a lack of respect for freedom of speech by those protesters.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sabz152
Well not everyone believes that religion is superstition

Not everyone believes that Earth is an oblate spheroid planet.
Can I ask what you were trying to get out of this thread?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Are you actually trying to justify the Charlie Hebdo attacks? No I don't understand you because I'm not deluded or a disgusting excuse for a human being.

Hindus/Christians/Jews get fun of in comedy shows all the time. I laugh along with the jokes about Hindus. You don't see me killing people and destroying families.

Well I am sure not all Hindus would react in the same way as you if you would actually want to see how Hindus react to their religion being disrespected go to India you would see plenty of it where intolerance is very high!
Original post by Sabz152
Well I am sure not all Hindus would react in the same way as you if you would actually want to see how Hindus react to their religion being disrespected go to India you would see plenty of it where intolerance is very high!

We're talking about Europe here. Not South Asia.

And address my point. Are you sick enough to justify the Charlie Hebdo attacks?
Original post by Mathemagicien
I'm guessing a lot. Which means either TSR is majority muslim and there is a significant minority who agree with ISOC's views, or TSR is minority muslim and most muslims agree with the ISOC.

If so many muslims agree with the ISOC, it surely can't be that extreme?

You are clearly unaware that the poll concerned was decided by the grand total of 151 votes cast. I suspect it took only a dozen or two to reach third place.
Reply 30
Original post by _gcx
You can't really generalise like that.

I am extremely socially liberal (yet right-wing), and I despise the teachings of Islam.

I am on the left and I despise the teachings of Islam as well.
Reply 31
Original post by Sabz152

We aren't dealing with a refugee crisis from India. The only immigrants we now take in from India are people who are educated and who are more likely to assimilate. Those are the only types of people we should take in from Muslim countries as well.
Original post by biglad2k16
Most Christians still believe that homosexuality is morally wrong. That's fine. But to believe that it is a crime that we should punish is nonsense. Most Muslims in the UK think it should be punished and if the refugees coming from Muslim countries are going to be far more radical since they come from societies where gays are executed. That has no place in our society.

Christians don't follow the laws of the Old Testament. With the coming of Christ, God established a new covenant with mankind (Ephesians 2:15). We are to love all people as we are all sinners and in need of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.

Fundamentalist Christians coming from the Bible Belt of America should also be prohibited from entering the UK as quite a few believe homosexuality is a crime that should be punished with many evicting their own children from their homes for the crime of being gay since that has no place in your society.

Also I don't remember Jesus saying that the Old Testament laws were cancelled.
As far as I know it's just an excuse certain Christians give to legitimise their cherry picking of the bible.

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (NIV, Matthew 5:17–18)

Also I'm sure the Quran has many feel good, fuzzy feeling verses that Muslims can cherry pick to make it out like Islam is a wonderful peaceful religion.

Moral of the story: All Abrahamic religions are a challenge to 'western values' not just islam and to be a firm believer in one ideology but then criticise another ideology which exhibit clear similarities is hypocrisy.
Western nations are fortunate compared to Muslim nations in the sense that there is a separation of church and state and the religious fanatics don't have a say in the country's legislation.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Are you actually trying to justify the Charlie Hebdo attacks? No I don't understand you because I'm not deluded or a disgusting excuse for a human being.

Hindus/Christians/Jews get fun of in comedy shows all the time. I laugh along with the jokes about Hindus. You don't see me killing people and destroying families.

An another thing I will lik to make it very clear to you because perhaps you don't understand o don't want to understand joking about a religion is very different to disrespecting a religion and if you don't see the difference it will be best for you to not comment!
Reply 34
Original post by Sabz152

That's North Indians, South Indians don't give a **** about their religion.
Reply 35
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Can I ask what you were trying to get out of this thread?

I'm concerned about how the left, which I agree with on some issues, is supporting mass migration from Islamic societies.
Research shows that the Bible has more violent verses in it that the Quran, even the New Testament.

Mr Anderson summarises: "Of the three texts, the content in the Old Testament appears to be the most violent. "Killing and destruction are referenced slightly more often in the New Testament (2.8%) than in the Quran (2.1%), but the Old Testament clearly leads—more than twice that of the Quran—in mentions of destruction and killing (5.3%)."

However, If I were in charge, I would put a total stop to immigration until the governments find a very secure and effective way of moderating who they let in. Also, I agree that Muslim immigrants have a higher likelihood of being radical because they have come from war torn countries; countries where conflicts have been started by America and European countries. And then you have Saudi Arabia, which is constantly buying weapons from America and destroying Yemen and other Middle Eastern countries with them. You are right, they should be going to Saudi instead of Europe. But Saudi and the West are playing the same game. Wonder why Trump didn't ban Saudi Arabia in his Muslim ban. It's because of money and the fact that it would effect their relationship.
Original post by Sabz152
An another thing I will lik to make it very clear to you because perhaps you don't understand o don't want to understand joking about a religion is very different to disrespecting a religion and if you don't see the difference it will be best for you to not comment!

The Charlie Hebdo attack sparked off from a cartoon making a joke of Islam.

Answer my question. Do you really think the writers/staff of Charlie Hebdo deserved the painful death they got?
Original post by Sabz152
Well obviously Muslims will react in this way if their religion was being disrespected what else do expect them to go and shower them with flowers. I am sure an intelligent individual like you would understand that . Also Christians have never had to face their religion being disrespected on such a large scale or otherwise they would do the same what was the crusades about?

See that right there is why Islam is incompatible with western society. If your religion is being offended the correct response is to simply walk away and shrug it off. Maybe at most have a violent argument.The correct response is not to take an ak47 and kill people.How is that an appropriate response? Christians have their religion disrespected all the time,they can handle it unlike Muslims.
Original post by RedManc
That's North Indians, South Indians don't give a **** about their religion.

Speaking as someone who grew up in North India, I can confirm they're very religious.

Latest

Trending

Trending