flower.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I thinking to pick psychology for a-levels and i just want your guys opinion on it and if its hard or not. Also what topics do you learn and does it involve a lot of science. thanks x
Appazap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I take psychology i don't know "if its hard or not" is quite a subjective question i mean obviously in comparison to like maths and biology of course not. I take Psychology, Chemistry and Maths so its my easiest subject.

Id say its not really sciency at a-level probably more so at degree level but we do have a section for research methods and you often have to learn and memorise quantitative data.

I am on ocr and i believe i have to learnt total of 40 studies by the end of year 13 so i mean the topics you cover is pretty vast. It can be a bit long sometimes but i dont regret taking it tbf, just be prepared for physics and chem lovers to say its not a proper science lol
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Psychology is easy.

You study five approaches (biological, behavioural, cognitive, psychodynamic, positive), some key studies (e.g. Raine et al 1997), some additional studies (e.g. the Little Hans study), methods (sampling and types of sampling, types of studies, tests like the sign test), and a bit about ethical issues.

It does not involve a lot of science or mathematics. The papers have plenty of small questions worth a few marks and like three or four essay questions worth 10 or 20 marks (the 20-marker was unique to the first paper under the specification I studied).
flower.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Appazap)
I take psychology i don't know "if its hard or not" is quite a subjective question i mean obviously in comparison to like maths and biology of course not. I take Psychology, Chemistry and Maths so its my easiest subject.

Id say its not really sciency at a-level probably more so at degree level but we do have a section for research methods and you often have to learn and memorise quantitative data.

I am on ocr and i believe i have to learnt total of 40 studies by the end of year 13 so i mean the topics you cover is pretty vast. It can be a bit long sometimes but i dont regret taking it tbf, just be prepared for physics and chem lovers to say its not a proper science lol
:] thanks for the info
flower.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michiyo)
Psychology is easy.

You study five approaches (biological, behavioural, cognitive, psychodynamic, positive), some key studies (e.g. Raine et al 1997), some additional studies (e.g. the Little Hans study), methods (sampling and types of sampling, types of studies, tests like the sign test), and a bit about ethical issues.

It does not involve a lot of science or mathematics. The papers have plenty of small questions worth a few marks and like three or four essay questions worth 10 or 20 marks (the 20-marker was unique to the first paper under the specification I studied).
Thanks for the help x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (178)
61.38%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.14%
No- I want it (78)
26.9%
No- I don't want it (22)
7.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise