Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law Divorce - should it be 50% split? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    Another guy i knew, when he heard his wife wanted a divorce, he sold his car, boat, and cabin for a dollar each to his friends. After the divorce, he bought it all back for 3 dollars.
    Excellent Do you have a link by chance? Sounds quite good to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    Most certainly not.

If I work hard my whole life too keep my wife, who subsequently cheats on me with the milkman, why should she be entitled to ANYTHING from me let alone half ?
    I think we can all agree on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What if one works harder than another?

This reminds me of a programme I saw on TV, Judge John Deed. Sir Iain Rochester would not divorce his current wife because she knew she would get half of the lot and he was not prepared to do this, even though she was basically cheating and the marriage had really become nullified. People talk about how sanctiful marriage is usually when they argue against single sex 'marriages', but how can tey be this sanctiful if the husband would lose what he earnt by himself and the marriage was nothing special?

I realise this can happen the other way round too.
    I'm aware of the reality of marriage today. Nevertheless, I still think of it as something holy, not in the religious sense though. I'm also glad it has a special status in the Law. I'm quite sure that one day people will realise the benefits of being in a normal family and then I think marriage will gain its sanctity again. I might naive, but I believe no society can really work without solid families and marriage is the cornerstone of every family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    I might naive, but I believe no society can really work without solid families and marriage is the cornerstone of every family.
    I disagree. What did you think this country did in 100BC?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. What did you think this country did in 100BC?
    lol... Not too much much we'd know about... Besides, I was talking about modern civilisations...

ReputationRep:
    lol... Not too much much we'd know about... Besides, I was talking about modern civilisations...
    Define modern. I don't consider 1700s that modern!

ReputationRep:
    Define modern. I don't consider 1700s that modern!
    I was thinking from about 19th century to nowadays. I was especially getting at our times of course.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking from about 19th century to nowadays. I was especially getting at our times of course.
    Say as you're in Germany (I think). What is the attitude towards divorce over there? What is like?

ReputationRep:
    Say as you're in Germany (I think). What is the attitude towards divorce over there? What is like?
    From what I've noticed, not very much different to Britain or France. To be honest, I believe it's a problem all "Western" civilisations have to face. Ok, maybe not Spain, I don't know, but I think since they're mostly Catholic they probably place more emphasis on marriage.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've noticed, not very much different to Britain or France. To be honest, I believe it's a problem all "Western" civilisations have to face. Ok, maybe not Spain, I don't know, but I think since they're mostly Catholic they probably place more emphasis on marriage.
    What about Poland? I don't see how the split difference makes that much of a difference on the views of marriage in general. If you care to explain I'd be glad to hear it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    there's only so many ways in splitting a £5 note
    I'll split it over your right eye if you persist with these jokes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I'll split it over your right eye if you persist with these jokes.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    lol
    And I don't waste money easily, you know. Afterall, that's why I'm not planning to get married for a while.

ReputationRep:
    When I get married I inted to have a pre-nuptual[sp!] agreement so that nothing of this sort would ever have to be considered, but if I had not had an agreement I would be very annoyed if i was earning 100K a year and my husband was earning 25K a year, and he went off with another woman and I lost my share of out wealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    When I get married I inted to have a pre-nuptual[sp!] agreement so that nothing of this sort would ever have to be considered, but if I had not had an agreement I would be very annoyed if i was earning 100K a year and my husband was earning 25K a year, and he went off with another woman and I lost my share of out wealth.
    I agree. But as men are generally speaking paid more, it is more likely to be the other way round. Maybe they could make certain conditions which would disqualify you from certain divorce settlements such as cheating and so on. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    What about Poland? I don't see how the split difference makes that much of a difference on the views of marriage in general. If you care to explain I'd be glad to hear it.
    I don't know anything about the views of marriage in Poland... I can only speak for the countries I know.

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak for the countries I know.
    Which are all the ones who have stated already or are there any more? j/w

ReputationRep:
    After reading various comments on divorces. Should it be a 50:50 split of money etc?
    Depends on the circumstances. If there are no children involved i wouldnt have any type of split, each party can earn their own living rather than leech off their former spouse.

ReputationRep:
    Which are all the ones who have stated already or are there any more? j/w
    lol, ok, I am German and I've also lived in France and Britain. One of my friends is half-Spanish

ReputationRep:
    I've actually found a pearl of wisdom, from a gangsta rapper of all people. For the more prudent and forward looking gentlemen on UKL...

"Can I hit in the morning,
    without giving you half of my dough?"

Can I Get a F*ck You? - Jay-Z

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.