The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Cambridge: Guide for Reapplicants

Disclaimer: Most of my experience have been with the Cambridge admissions process and I am unfamiliar with the nuances with the Oxford admissions process. Nevertheless, most of the information provided here can be applicable to most situations. I have no official affiliation with either university and a lot of my information come from personal experience and anecdotes but I hope some of the information here will be useful.

This is still a WIP.

CHAPTER I - Preface:

Spoiler

CHAPTER II - Exams and Grades

Spoiler

CHAPTER III - Gap Years

Spoiler

WIP
CHAPTER IV - Choosing a Course and College
CHAPTER V - Personal Statement
CHAPTER VI - Admissions Assessments
CHAPTER VII - Interviews
CHAPTER VIII - Decisions

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

@NeverLucky

Thanks for the insightful posts :smile:

Spoiler

Ah, awesome thread, thanks for tagging me!

My only suggestion at the mo is to break up the paragraphs if pos

I assume, although I could be wrong that A*AA is competitive for Oxford for those subjects asking AAA and A*A*A for those asking for A*AA. But of course, the more A* grades the better. Also the grades would be contextualised and as Never_Lucky suggests, extenuating cicrumstances would apply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the tag. I'll have a read! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by wolfmoon88

Spoiler

O rly?
If I do get the grades to reapply, there might be an Oxford specific version of these lmao
Reply 7
@NeverLucky I'm still reading it (! :wink: ), but just on the 3 or 4 A-level bit: Cambridge are very clear that 3 A-levels are as competitive as 4. In particular, the point about it being useful having 4 for NatSci is just that it can give you more options when selecting your modules - not that it makes an applicant more competitive.

Also a re-applicant can't really change their A-level profile - it's too late - so I wouldn't want to in any way discourage a 3 A-level applicant just on that basis. Ok?
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
@NeverLucky I'm still reading it (! :wink: ), but just on the 3 or 4 A-level bit: Cambridge are very clear that 3 A-levels are as competitive as 4. In particular, the point about it being useful having 4 for NatSci is just that it can give you more options when selecting your modules - not that it makes an applicant more competitive.

Also a re-applicant can't really change their A-level profile - it's too late - so I wouldn't want to in any way discourage a 3 A-level applicant just on that basis. Ok?

Noted, I'll rewrite that bit and update it in the next few days.
What a wonderful and informative guide :biggrin: Thanks for doing this @NeverLucky, I think that it will be invaluable for future re-applicants. :smile:
Tagging some (successful) Oxbridge re-applicants: @scblx @TheTechN1304 @Duke Glacia @physicsmaths @BritishBean
Also 'Indeed, it is actually very rare for a reapplicant to be successful having only met the minimum requirements and it is the case that the majority of successful reapplicants exceeded the requirements.'

This is definitely true however it does depend on interview performance and the course in question. Don't know about Cambridge but I know that for my course (music) if you get an "A*" grade at interview that equates with an 'offer' - hence why there was at least one person accepted with a C at A level from the statistics they gave me (although that person could have gotten A*A*AC or such). The average grades of post-qual people given offers were A*AA (so exceeding the standard offer) but they'd take into account any extenuating circumstances and contextual factors (eg illness, terrible school etc). The more competitive the course obviously the higher the grades you'll need to get.

Just noticed this @NeverLucky 'decide to apply to Cambridge instead because you decided Cambridge was better' :tongue: :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
This is a useful resource, but as @Doonesbury says there are some mistakes in Chapter 2. In particular, the second paragraph contains some errors. The standard offer for NatSci is A*A*A, and I don't think any student should be advised to 'take another A level in your gap year' if they've 'only' got 3. I suspect that for many applicants who've been rejected post interview, looking at how they could have improved their interview or any admissions tests would be more relevant advice than the A levels, because the college has already assessed those (assuming that the applicant met the predicted grades of A*A*A) and offered an interview on the back of them.
Original post by Reality Check
I suspect that for many applicants who've been rejected post interview, looking at how they could have improved their interview or any admissions tests would be more relevant advice than the A levels, because the college has already assessed those (assuming that the applicant met the predicted grades of A*A*A) and offered an interview on the back of them.

This is true. As long as someone exceeds the requirement for their course (eg A*AA for most arts at Oxford, A*A*A for arts at Cambridge, A*A*A for most sciences at Oxford, A*A*A* for sciences at Cambridge) the grades won't be the issue - but obviously, the higher the grades the more it 'compensates' (for lack of a better term) at interview.

I suspect however if someone had less than ideal AS grades (eg AABB), even with strong A2 predictions, the grades could have been a contributing factor first time around.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by auburnstar
Just noticed this @NeverLucky 'decide to apply to Cambridge instead because you decided Cambridge was better' :tongue: :rolleyes:

Was hoping someone would notice that :lol:

Original post by Reality Check
This is a useful resource, but as @Doonesbury says there are some mistakes in Chapter 2. In particular, the second paragraph contains some errors. The standard offer for NatSci is A*A*A, and I don't think any student should be advised to 'take another A level in your gap year' if they've 'only' got 3. I suspect that for many applicants who've been rejected post interview, looking at how they could have improved their interview or any admissions tests would be more relevant advice than the A levels, because the college has already assessed those (assuming that the applicant met the predicted grades of A*A*A) and offered an interview on the back of them.

Yep, I've rewritten parts of that chapter and will update it the next time I come to writing.
Original post by auburnstar
Ah, awesome thread, thanks for tagging me!

My only suggestion at the mo is to break up the paragraphs if pos

I assume, although I could be wrong that A*AA is competitive for Oxford for those subjects asking AAA and A*A*A for those asking for A*AA. But of course, the more A* grades the better. Also the grades would be contextualised and as Never_Lucky suggests, extenuating cicrumstances would apply.

The Oxford and Cambridge attitudes to A-level grades are massively different. Without extenuating circumstances, in Oxford they are viewed very much as a requirement that is either met (allowing the application to progress further) or not met (meaning that the applicant is rejected pre-interview). Based on the LMH Oxford Q&A thread, is no advantage to exceeding the standard offer when applying post-qualification since decisions are made almost entirely from the admissions test and interviews.
Original post by Forecast
The Oxford and Cambridge attitudes to A-level grades are massively different. Without extenuating circumstances, in Oxford they are viewed very much as a requirement that is either met (allowing the application to progress further) or not met (meaning that the applicant is rejected pre-interview). Based on the LMH Oxford Q&A thread, is no advantage to exceeding the standard offer when applying post-qualification since decisions are made almost entirely from the admissions test and interviews.

Ah, really interesting - thanks for the info!! (Also mildly reassuring, I'm pretty confident for AAA/A*AA but A*A*A is a bit harder hehe)
@Forecast I asked LMH on the "AMA" page and they said "Although we take into account academic achievement, having achieved the standard offer demonstrating enthusiasm/suitability for course/suitability for our teaching as demonstrated through subject tests (if applicable) and interviews becomes more important."

So that reiterates what you suggested - that after getting AAA/A*AA it becomes much more a case of interview/subject test performance. I guess this is much more true of post-qual applicants because attainment is certain rather than based on predicted grades (which are notoriously glowing and unreliable anyways).
I've decided that I won't be reapplying for HSPS. Whatever I do during a potential gap year, I don't think I'd be able to return to such intense study after a fairly lax year.

Applying to Cambridge was definitely an experience, I'm very happy I did so and it was nice to have a dream to latch onto for two years.
Original post by jamestg
I've decided that I won't be reapplying for HSPS. Whatever I do during a potential gap year, I don't think I'd be able to return to such intense study after a fairly lax year.

Applying to Cambridge was definitely an experience, I'm very happy I did so and it was nice to have a dream to latch onto for two years.

Fair enough, I'm sure you'll do amazing wherever!

(The only thing to say is that Oxford/Cambridge is tough and intense whether you come straight from school or after a gap year but it's your life and I won't sway you :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending