LLB (Hons) Law at City University London or BPP Law School?

Watch this thread
The Advocate
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have been offered a place on the graduate entry LLB (Hons) Law (2 years) at City University London and the LLB (Hons) International Commercial Law (2 years) at BPP Law School. Where would you recommend to study -- taking into account the teaching approach (mass production factory or not) and industry opportunities (Training Contract)?

I am 30 years old. I have completed an international business management, Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) with honours at the London Metropolitan University and I have been awarded an upper second class degree (2:1). I have 3 years experience as a business and legal affairs manager, a position which requires me to handle all aspects relating to business development and contracts management, including employment, real estate, sale, manufacturing and partnerships. I felt that I had reached a glass ceiling and needed to study law in order to progress within this area. Henceforth, I have decided to return to university in order to gain a better understanding of the law governing business and commercial transaction --- as a massive portion of the limited resources of small businesses are being eaten by legal fees. I believe that part of the work can be done in-house with the right knowledge and skillset. Ultimately, I want to work in business, but if it means that I have to spend some time working as a business facilitator (lawyer) before returning to work as a business executive (eventually as a CEO), I am up for the challenge. I would like to read about your thoughts on the above... Where should I study, City or BPP? And considering my background, would you recommend to complete an LLB, followed by the LPC or not? And do you think that securing a training contract at 30 years old, (well, I will be 33 by then) is too old? Thank you!
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
My 10p worth.
1. City because its a full uni, but look at the syllabus,
2. Yes to LPC, but get a TC and someone to pay for it.
3. 30 not too old, but it is competitive.

Am sure JSP will give you some good in depth answers.
The Advocate
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
My 10p worth.
1. City because its a full uni, but look at the syllabus,
2. Yes to LPC, but get a TC and someone to pay for it.
3. 30 not too old, but it is competitive.

Am sure JSP will give you some good in depth answers.
Thank you for the advice!
I appreciate it.
The Advocate
Rep:
(Original post by J-SP)
There's no issue with starting a training contract in your 30s. Recruited enough who are/were older than that.

I don't think it will really matter where you study a PG LLB, particularly out of those two universities, which are much of a muchness.

My only concern is your long term career goals. Few firms will be willing to train you up only for you to leave and go back to business. This is probably going to be your biggest obstacle, potentially alongside your A-level results (making some assumptions on those based on your UG university).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!

I am please to read that you do not view my age (30) and decision to return to university to study law, as being a point of concern. With regards to concerns relating to my commitment to the law, I sincerely do want to become a corporate lawyer, but also very much enjoy leading business negotiations and projects through to completion. Perhaps, the in-house legal environment may be more suitable to me instead of the law firm environment, but at least 5 years post legal qualification.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (92)
19.96%
The paper was reasonable (176)
38.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.81%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
16.05%

Watched Threads