The Student Room Group

BTEC hurting chances for Uni

Does having a level 3 BTEC hurt your chances at getting into a top university?
Do you have 3 A-levels as well?
Reply 2
Original post by Wiseguy_24

No, I've got offers from York and Surrey, York currently 20th in league table and Surrey is joint 11th
Not at all, unless it's a course that doesn't accept them like maybe some at Oxford or Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Not at all, unless it's a course that doesn't accept them like maybe some at Oxford or Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, so universities don't look at level 3 BTECs as lesser qualifications in comparison to an A-Level?
It partly depends on the course tbh. My friend and I both do BTEC, i've been given offers Early childhood studies whilst my friend has 3 rejections for paramedic science (which is fairly competitive).
If you are going to do a BTEC, it might be a good idea to do an A-level alongside. I know there was a particular course at a certain uni that i really wanted to apply to but didnt because they stated all aplicants doing a BTEC must have an A-level alongside.
If you do 3 alevels and a btec alongside it you'll be fine. If you want to go Oxbridge or a top uni like UCL or Imperial, they will not consider you with say, A btec and 2 alevels.
It would all depend on the course you want to do.

For my course universities, including the top ones accept my BTEC qualification.

If you want to do BTEC, i would advise you to do an A level on the side just to be on the safe side.

BTEC is not bad at all on its own anyway and i think they are more valuable now since the introduction of exams in some BTECS

Explore your options, speak to a careers advisor, friends, family etc about this.
Original post by Wiseguy_24

Some will snub, some will offer with one A-Level, a few only BTEC (they lieing really, just to get government and left wingers happy)

Do an A-Level your passionate about to boost yourself up here what I'm doing...

Extended Diploma in Applied Science (working at D in first year, one of very few in my class)
A-Level Maths (working at A in AS-Level)

Planning on doing Mathematics BSc

Try to get as much volunteering as well, and you should be able to get in some top universities such as Queen Mary (top 100 worldwide), Birkbeck University of London (top 250 worldwide), University of Kent isn't a top one but for me its a huge debt releave, £26,500 of debt will be removed out of the £50,000 on average now?

Quick Reply

Latest