The Student Room Group

12 Months to learn full A-level Maths Syllabus.

Chosen exam board - Edexcel
Past experience - B grade at GCSE Maths 3 years ago
The goal - To self-teach AS & A2 Maths within 12 months allowing 3 days a week of study to coincide with my part-time job.
Brief description:

So I've gone part-time at my job. I'm looking to self-teach myself the full A-Level maths - Mechanics route (edexcel syllabus). I don't really know where to begin with it all. I know about solomon past papers and some Youtube channels that help with revision, can you guys provide any other sources? What about textbooks? are there any good ones out there for self-teaching?

I've got until summer next year so a little over 12 months but I plan on spending a month to refresh my memory with the higher GCSE syllabus so I'm not jumping straight into A-level.

What do you guys think? Is this realistic? If I dedicate 3 days a week to revision?

All feedback is welcome, thanks for taking the time to read.
If you're consistent with it, definitely. I recommend using HegartyMaths on YouTube or in his own website. It's really helpful and the way he explains topics gets it to stick in your head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by EnglishNoobC
If you're consistent with it, definitely. I recommend using HegartyMaths on YouTube or in his own website. It's really helpful and the way he explains topics gets it to stick in your head.

Thank you! I'll check him out. Thanks for reassuring me it's not an unrealistic goal as well, I'm very motivated for this and I'm sure i'll stay committed to it.
Reply 3
Good luck with this!
I wouldn't bother spending a month revising GCSE, most of core 1 is GCSE revision apart from the last 2 chapters. I would recommend learning core 1 to 4 before the applied modules because learning the core maths will make the applied modules much easier. Also by the mechanics route do you mean learning m1 and m2? This would make sense if you want to go on to do some sort of physics thing after but in terms of getting the best grade you may be better off looking into stats and decision instead of m2 because it is quite difficult in comparison.
Reply 5
Exam Solutions too. Check him out. He's amazing at explaining complex problems really simply. Wouldn't have gotten my As in O and AS Level without him.

And I think, in 12 months, it's definitely doable. Provided you work hard of course.
Best of luck!
Reply 6
Original post by alfredholmes
I wouldn't bother spending a month revising GCSE, most of core 1 is GCSE revision apart from the last 2 chapters. I would recommend learning core 1 to 4 before the applied modules because learning the core maths will make the applied modules much easier. Also by the mechanics route do you mean learning m1 and m2? This would make sense if you want to go on to do some sort of physics thing after but in terms of getting the best grade you may be better off looking into stats and decision instead of m2 because it is quite difficult in comparison.

Hey thanks for the advice. Yeah, well the plan was to see how Maths goes and all being well, I'll self-teach myself Physics within a year as well (In a years time). I got a C in Physics at school, so Maths was definitely my stronger suit, however I would have thought learning Maths first gives me a head-start on Physics for when I decide to do it.
Thanks again for the structure.

Quick Reply

Latest