What temperature do I use to calculate enthalpy of combustion??? (Bomb Calorimetry)

Watch
callumburns98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have just completed a bomb calorimetry lab experiment and now need to calculate deltaH for the combustion.

Using the equation: deltaH = deltaU + deltan.RT

I am confused regarding what temperature to use? Do I use the final temp, initial temp, change in temp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Image
EternalLight
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by callumburns98)
I have just completed a bomb calorimetry lab experiment and now need to calculate deltaH for the combustion.

Using the equation: deltaH = deltaU + deltan.RT

I am confused regarding what temperature to use? Do I use the final temp, initial temp, change in temp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Image
Try this link. http://www.dartmouth.edu/~pchem/75/pdfs/BombCal.pdf Scroll down to page 5 (Questions and Calculations)
pagey2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take the final temperature away from the initial temperature and then use this change in temperature to work out your enthalpy
Dusky Mauve
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's the change in temperature because you are working out the enthalpy required to raise the temperature by that many degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
14.55%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
14.55%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
10.91%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
38.18%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
18.18%

Watched Threads