This discussion is closed.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
VM423 - Donald Trump Motion 2017, TSR Libertarian Party
This House believes that the Government should invite US President Donald Trump to make an official state visit to the United Kingdom. As a nation that prides itself for its free speech, we find it completely unjust that Mr Trump should be denied a state visit on the basis of his personality and policies. A poll conducted by ‘YouGov’ in January showed that a greater number of Britons supported his visit than opposed it. Donald Trump may be a divisive and controversial character but we recognise that it would be a bad diplomatic move to block him from coming to our country.
Source:
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/01/britons-favour-donald-trump-state-visit-uk-against-poll-shows/
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This isn't blocking him just not jumping the gun to invite him, nay.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye. We should extend a hand to the new President of the most important nation in the world, especially given we are going to need to rely a lot more on the US given the June result.
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
RayApparently as the libertarians can't post here , they have asked me to inquire what the governments stance on the visit is!

Thanks.
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Aye. We should extend a hand to the new President of the most important nation in the world, especially given we are going to need to rely a lot more on the US given the June result.
Hear hear!
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Voting 'No' simply because I don't like the idea of the House forcing the government to extend an invitation - how awkward would that make my meeting with the POTUS? This, in my view, should not have gone to vote - it should have just acted as a prompt for the government to make a decision.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fleky6910)
RayApparently as the libertarians can't post here , they have asked me to inquire what the governments stance on the visit is!

Thanks.
It's an interesting issue. I do not actually approve of the real-life visit - not so much because Trump disgusts me but because I have no faith in Theresa May's ability to stand up for Britain and its values at a meeting between them. I'd have no problem with Jeremy Corbyn entertaining Trump because I'd know that the invitation did not in any way mean that we condoned his policies and I extend that to the government I lead. Like Shinzo Abe and Justin Trudeau, I'd like to think we could exchange pleasantries but keep our dignity.

There is no doubt that the POTUS will visit at some point. But it would be strange for that visit to be anytime soon given he is currently embroiled in scandal and, I'm sure, would like to deal with that first.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Voting 'No' simply because I don't like the idea of the House forcing the government to extend an invitation - how awkward would that make my meeting with the POTUS? This, in may view, should not have gone to vote - it should have just acted as a prompt for the government to make a decision.
When was the last time a Labour led government did what a motion asked them to? The Libers were silly and chose a motion over a petition.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
When was the last time a Labour led government did what a motion asked them to? The Libers were silly and chose a motion over a petition.
Well the draft of the Defence SOI commits to the thing in your motion and the draft of the Education SOI commits to the thing in the Tory motion. Perhaps we'll be unprecedented.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Well the draft of the Defence SOI commits to the thing in your motion and the draft of the Education SOI commits to the thing in the Tory motion. Perhaps we'll be unprecedented.
So the government after saying it will base its policy in what it thinks is needed is going to do something that it believed totally unnecessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
So the government after saying it will base its policy in what it thinks is needed is going to do something that it believed totally unnecessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll notice that the government didn't take any official stance in opposing your motion nor was there a huge deal of obvious opposition to it as there is with the Liber motion. The DPM voted in favour and the Defence Sec and I abstained. I don't think it's objectionable in those circumstances for the government to follow the suggestion of the House on that issue.

Do you find you're endless quest to find faults in things enriching?
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's ridiculous to suggest we don't offer him a state visit at any point during his term, but that doesn't need to be right now.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain.

Canon makes this motion null and void until such time that the Mhoc government issue a statement to the contrary. The invitation as per canon has been issued.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Abstain.

Canon makes this motion null and void until such time that the Mhoc government issue a statement to the contrary. The invitation as per canon has been issued.
That's already happened hence this motion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
That's already happened hence this motion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you link me to the Mhoc government's official statement.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstaining because the submission comes from an illegitimate body.
username2768016
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay. It would send the wrong message to British Muslims, refugees and immigrants to support Donald Trump's state visit.

It's a free country, so he should be more than welcome to make a visit to the UK. We shouldn't bend over backwards for him.
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ayes to the right: 19
Noes to the left: 16
Abstentions: 15
The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!
Turnout: 100%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
31.53%
The paper was reasonable (423)
48.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
12.08%
It was TERRIBLE (67)
7.71%

Watched Threads