The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU instead of A Levels?

I'm thinking of starting OU this September for English Literature. Due to medical stuff, it's going to be really difficult for me to go to college/sixth form, but I've worked well studying from home.
Is it true you can be 16 and start an OU degree?
I'm fairly academic and interested in English, but is it too big a leap to take from GCSEs?
Lastly, what sort of support do you get? I've heard there are online tutors who mark work, but do they provide advice and resources or are they just there to grade?
Will call them, but would love to hear from anyone who's had the experience:smile:
yes that is true. I'm 19 and currently doing a level 1 60 credit module in Bsc (hons) Environmental management and technology and i think its very manageable in terms of difficulty. I would say that you should have have a decent english and maths level e.g gcse or eqivalent (although maths could vary depending subject) as i think it would be of great importance on studying an English degree or any degree subject for that matter.
I would say the tutors are helpful and they do give advice and help if neccesary however i'm speaking from the experience of my tutor as others could vary but i'm pretty sure most of them are similar. Hope that helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
As the OU doesn't have any academic entry requirements, it's a good solution for those looking to get their degree if they don't have A-levels. However, if it's your intention to get level 3 qualifications or higher for application to a traditional university, it may not be the best path.

You may want to look into the National Extension College. It was founded as a pilot programme for the Open University. It can be much cheaper than OU study if you're self (or parent) funding. They also don't have academic entry requirements, but strongly advise relevant GCSE or BTEC qualifications.

You are right, though, in that the OU allows for students under 18 to study there. You can find their policy here. Basically, you'll need to discuss it with both the OU and your current school or college (if you have one) before enrolling.

I've seen people in the past say that there's a lot of variation in OU support levels from tutors. While my own experience tends to concur with that, the levels appear to vary from fairly low to non-existent.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest