OCR M4- misinterpreted question? Watch

MaffsIsFun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sorry to ask so many Mechanics questions - self-teaching M3/4 on a gap year for STEP is throwing up more obstacles than I imagined!

The question giving me trouble this time is: A bag of rubbish is thrown off a ferry travelling at 12ms^-1, with a horizontal velocity of 6m/s at 50 degrees to the direction of motion of the ship. If it lands in the sea 3 seconds later, what horizontal distance does it appear to travel before hitting the sea as observed by a person standing on the harbour wall?

I interpret this to mean that the ship must be travelling at 50 degrees to the horizontal. So we just want to add the horizontal components of both velocities and then multiply by 3. e.g 3 *(6 + 12cos(50)). However this is NOT the answer of 49.5 given by the textbook. Am I misinterpreting the situation, or is there an error in the solutions ... ?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MaffsIsFun)
Sorry to ask so many Mechanics questions - self-teaching M3/4 on a gap year for STEP is throwing up more obstacles than I imagined!

The question giving me trouble this time is: A bag of rubbish is thrown off a ferry travelling at 12ms^-1, with a horizontal velocity of 6m/s at 50 degrees to the direction of motion of the ship. If it lands in the sea 3 seconds later, what horizontal distance does it appear to travel before hitting the sea as observed by a person standing on the harbour wall?

I interpret this to mean that the ship must be travelling at 50 degrees to the horizontal. So we just want to add the horizontal components of both velocities and then multiply by 3. e.g 3 *(6 + 12cos(50)). However this is NOT the answer of 49.5 given by the textbook. Am I misinterpreting the situation, or is there an error in the solutions ... ?
Solution is correct.

Your interpretation of the ship travelling at "50 degrees to the horizontal" is the problem. In that postion, it would be just about to capsize, I'd think.

Everything of relevance is taking place on the horizontal plane. If you imagine the set up of the ship heading North say, and the bag is thrown on a bearing of 050 degrees (the situation doesn't give you bearings, but the example will hopefully show you what the general set up is). And they're looking for the horizontal distance travelled by the bag.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (46)
10.07%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (138)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise