Geography - Homework: All help appreciated

Watch
DebbieRose
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Unfortunately I missed the last 3 weeks of school due to serious health issues and my geography teacher set this work for me to catch up over the half term but I am struggling. So I would very much appreciate some help answering theses questions. Thank you

1. Discuss and decide the part played by weathering and its influence on the rate of coastal retreat

2. Which forms of weathering are likely to have the greatest impact in different parts of the UK?

3. Explain the significance of weathering and mass movement in relation to the coastal system?

NOTE: Please no silly or unkind responses.
Laurenthellama
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey! First of all, I hope you're okay! And second, I don't know which exam board you're on but hopefully I can still help

1. Discuss and decide the part played by weathering and its influence on the rate of coastal retreat

•For this question I would focus on the different types of weathering (mechanical, chemical, biological) and briefly outline what each of those means, then state how weathering weakens cliffs which can then lead to cliff collapse and mass movement down the side, causing coastal retreat.

2. Which forms of weathering are likely to have the greatest impact in different parts of the UK?

•I think for the second one, you could talk about the different sediment around the UK (limestone in the Yorkshire Dales, granite in Dartmoor, Clay in Loughborough Neagh in Northern Ireland) and then link the different sediment to how resistant it is because then you'd be stating that the least resistant rocks are more susceptible to high rates of erosion, whereas more resistant rocks experience little erosion.

3. Explain the significance of weathering and mass movement in relation to the coastal system?

•Lastly, you could write about how weathering results in erosion, then mass movement takes place when the eroded sediment slides or slumps etc. down a cliff which is then transported elsewhere. You could include information about sediment cells (including a definition, the inputs and outputs - which are in balance - and possibly examples of sources and sinks).

Really hope this helps a bit!
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Laurenthellama)
Hey! First of all, I hope you're okay! And second, I don't know which exam board you're on but hopefully I can still help

•For this question I would focus on the different types of weathering (mechanical, chemical, biological) and briefly outline what each of those means, then state how weathering weakens cliffs which can then lead to cliff collapse and mass movement down the side, causing coastal retreat.

•I think for the second one, you could talk about the different sediment around the UK (limestone in the Yorkshire Dales, granite in Dartmoor, Clay in Loughborough Neagh in Northern Ireland) and then link the different sediment to how resistant it is because then you'd be stating that the least resistant rocks are more susceptible to high rates of erosion, whereas more resistant rocks experience little erosion.

•Lastly, you could write about how weathering results in erosion, then mass movement takes place when the eroded sediment slides or slumps etc. down a cliff which is then transported elsewhere. You could include information about sediment cells (including a definition, the inputs and outputs - which are in balance - and possibly examples of sources and sinks).

Really hope this helps a bit!
Hi DebbieRose and Laurenthellama,

This is a great answer

The only thing I would add is that question 2 is asking which forms of weathering are likely to have the greatest impact in different parts of the UK, so you'd also need to mention which types of weathering are most likely to affect each rock type. For example, in coastal areas with limestones, chemical weathering is likely to be the most effective, however in areas with harder, more resistant rocks like granite, the dominant weathering processes would likely be mechanical/physical
DebbieRose
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Hi DebbieRose and Laurenthellama,

This is a great answer

The only thing I would add is that question 2 is asking which forms of weathering are likely to have the greatest impact in different parts of the UK, so you'd also need to mention which types of weathering are most likely to affect each rock type. For example, in coastal areas with limestones, chemical weathering is likely to be the most effective, however in areas with harder, more resistant rocks like granite, the dominant weathering processes would likely be mechanical/physical
Leviathan1741 & Laurenthellama Thank you both very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (40)
7.91%
Confident (66)
13.04%
Indifferent (73)
14.43%
Unsure (126)
24.9%
Worried (201)
39.72%

Watched Threads