The Student Room Group

Pennsylvania college group wants pins to start conversation on 'white privilege'.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
A left-wing Milo?

Hardly.

I was thinking more of your shared desire to be on your knees in front of blacks.
I doubt Milo does. I think its just his variant of the "I can't be racist I have a black friend"

While you really do?

OK.
Not that I particularly have anything against black people of course, or think badly of anyone who does have such a desire, but it is not my sort of thing. I hope that doesn't reflect badly on me, it is just a personal preference and not at all a reflection of my racial biases.

Careful !

The Borg can smell your fear.
Not that I particularly have anything against black people of course, or think badly of anyone who does have such a desire, but it is not my sort of thing. I hope that doesn't reflect badly on me, it is just a personal preference and not at all a reflection of my racial biases.

I think you're a victim of internalised racism, my dearest commie friend. You should bleach it out or something :redface:
I do not have a fear of black people. It is just that I do not have the sexual desire to go on my knees before them. Again, I hope it is obvious that this is not a bigotry of mine, it is solely down to personal preference and does not reflect an inner racist complexion.

The Borg are your fellow lefties.

Once the get a hint of you homophobic racism, they will turn on you and devour you.
As I have stated twice now already, this is not a product of 'internalised' racism, it is just a personal preference that does not mean anything more than that.

You're racist at a subconscious level, is what I mean to say.
Reply 26
I think most people would agree that "white privilege" exists as a subconscious racial bias in certain circumstances. To say it is made up is to say that, in all cases, a white person and a non-white person are treated (and judged) without regard to their skin colour. I think most reasonable people would say that is not true.
Original post by pjm600
I think most people would agree that "white privilege" exists as a subconscious racial bias in certain circumstances. To say it is made up is to say that, in all cases, a white person and a non-white person are treated (and judged) without regard to their skin colour. I think most reasonable people would say that is not true.

Can you explain why Asian Americans out perform white Americans?
Reply 28
Original post by joe cooley
Can you explain why Asian Americans out perform white Americans?

At what, badminton?
Reply 29
The ironic thing here is that the level of white privilege in this forum is astounding.
Original post by pjm600
At what, badminton?

Thats a no then.

Didn;t think you would be able to.

Obviously ignoring question you'd rather not answer is one way of dealing with them.
Reply 31
Thats a no then.

Didn;t think you would be able to.

Obviously ignoring question you'd rather not answer is one way of dealing with them.

I presume you're trying to say that asian americans get better results in maths? What's the point in me answering if I'm just guessing at the question?

Anyway the answer is it doesn't matter. The point is that white people do not receive negative racial stereotypes to the extent that non-white people do. It is not a question of one ethnic group doing better at maths than another.
Who is more likely to be stopped at the airport - a white guy, or a brown guy?

Who is more likely to be questioned by police after being mistaken for a criminal?

If you yell "Allahu Akbar" at an armed policeman, you would probably live to tell the tale. Not so for a brown guy.

which group has proven to be more likely to commit terrorist atrocities at an airport?
In america which ethnic group is more likely to commit a crime?

In 2013, number and percentage of murder arrests by race were:

Black or African Americans 4,379 = 52.2%White Americans (including Hispanic Americans) 3,799 = 45.3%American Indians or Alaska Natives 98 = 1.06%Asian Americans 101 = 1.2%

Black or African Americans make up around 13% of the population yet in 2013 alone accounted for 52% of murder arrests.

Why are men far more likely to be searched than women? Is this inherent sexism against males or is it law enforcement using pragmatic methods that will help them prevent potential crime because statistically men are far more dangerous as a gender than women?
Original post by pjm600
I presume you're trying to say that asian americans get better results in maths? What's the point in me answering if I'm just guessing at the question?

Anyway the answer is it doesn't matter. The point is that white people do not receive negative racial stereotypes to the extent that non-white people do. It is not a question of one ethnic group doing better at maths than another.

Maths?

Asian Americans outperform all other demographic groups in the US on every level.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2015-03-02/why-asian-americans-will-soon-be-the-wealthiest-americans

How does that fit in with your white privilege theory?
Reply 34
Maths?

Asian Americans outperform all other demographic groups in the US on every level.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2015-03-02/why-asian-americans-will-soon-be-the-wealthiest-americans

How does that fit in with your white privilege theory?

From the source:

When looking at median family wealth (assets minus liabilities), the ranking of the four racial or ethnic groups did not change order between 1989 and 2013. White families ranked first, followed by Asian families, Hispanic families and black families.

In inflation-adjusted dollars, the median wealth of a white family in 1989 was $130,102. In 2013, it was $134,008. For an Asian family, the two medians were $64,165 and $91,440. For a Hispanic family, they were $9,229 and $13,900. For a black family, they were $7,736 and $11,184.

Although the financial patterns over this period have changed little for whites, for Hispanics and for blacks, they have changed dramatically for families headed by Asians. Asian families' median income already has surpassed that of whites, while Asians' median wealth soon will surpass the white median level, most likely because of the remarkable increase in educational attainment by younger Asians in recent decades.

Median Hispanic and black wealth levels are about 90 percent lower than the median white wealth level, yet median income levels of Hispanics and blacks are only 40 percent lower. The larger wealth gap could be due to Hispanics' and blacks' investing in low-return assets like housing, as well as to borrowing at high interest rates. Hispanics and blacks could also feel less of a need to save for the future because society's progressive old-age safety-net programs will replace a relatively larger share of the normal incomes they earned during their working years.

Whites and Asians have stronger balance sheets—a key factor in wealth accumulation—than do Hispanics and blacks. The balance sheets of the former show more liquidity and asset diversification and less leverage (debt as a share of assets).

On our financial health scorecard—designed to measure whether a family is making sound, everyday-financial decisions—whites and Asians fared much better than Hispanics and blacks. The gap was even wider when restricting the comparison to just middle-aged, well-educated families in each of the four groups.

Age and education would seem to be logical explanations for the persistent differences in wealth accumulation across the racial and ethnic groups. However, an analysis of the data indicates that these two factors play only small roles in explaining the gaps. In particular, holding constant the age and educational attainment of a family head, racial and ethnic differences in average financial-health scores correspond closely to differences in the groups' median wealth levels.

From the information prevented, you simply cannot say that therefore non-whites do not face any racial prejudice. That clearly does not follow.

In other words, the article is irrelevant.
Original post by pjm600
From the source:

When looking at median family wealth (assets minus liabilities), the ranking of the four racial or ethnic groups did not change order between 1989 and 2013. White families ranked first, followed by Asian families, Hispanic families and black families.

In inflation-adjusted dollars, the median wealth of a white family in 1989 was $130,102. In 2013, it was $134,008. For an Asian family, the two medians were $64,165 and $91,440. For a Hispanic family, they were $9,229 and $13,900. For a black family, they were $7,736 and $11,184.

Although the financial patterns over this period have changed little for whites, for Hispanics and for blacks, they have changed dramatically for families headed by Asians. Asian families' median income already has surpassed that of whites, while Asians' median wealth soon will surpass the white median level, most likely because of the remarkable increase in educational attainment by younger Asians in recent decades.

Median Hispanic and black wealth levels are about 90 percent lower than the median white wealth level, yet median income levels of Hispanics and blacks are only 40 percent lower. The larger wealth gap could be due to Hispanics' and blacks' investing in low-return assets like housing, as well as to borrowing at high interest rates. Hispanics and blacks could also feel less of a need to save for the future because society's progressive old-age safety-net programs will replace a relatively larger share of the normal incomes they earned during their working years.

Whites and Asians have stronger balance sheets—a key factor in wealth accumulation—than do Hispanics and blacks. The balance sheets of the former show more liquidity and asset diversification and less leverage (debt as a share of assets).

On our financial health scorecard—designed to measure whether a family is making sound, everyday-financial decisions—whites and Asians fared much better than Hispanics and blacks. The gap was even wider when restricting the comparison to just middle-aged, well-educated families in each of the four groups.

Age and education would seem to be logical explanations for the persistent differences in wealth accumulation across the racial and ethnic groups. However, an analysis of the data indicates that these two factors play only small roles in explaining the gaps. In particular, holding constant the age and educational attainment of a family head, racial and ethnic differences in average financial-health scores correspond closely to differences in the groups' median wealth levels.

From the information prevented, you simply cannot say that therefore non-whites do not face any racial prejudice. That clearly does not follow.

In other words, the article is irrelevant.

Although the financial patterns over this period have changed little for whites, for Hispanics and for blacks, they have changed dramatically for families headed by Asians. Asian families' median income already has surpassed that of whites, while Asians' median wealth soon will surpass the white median level

Where is the white privilege?
Reply 36
Although the financial patterns over this period have changed little for whites, for Hispanics and for blacks, they have changed dramatically for families headed by Asians. Asian families' median income already has surpassed that of whites, while Asians' median wealth soon will surpass the white median level

Where is the white privilege?

Average income by race alone is not an adequate measure of racial prejudice.
Original post by pjm600
Average income by race alone is not an adequate measure of racial prejudice.

Really?

One would expect the beneficiaries of white privilege to have a larger income than those they are "privileged" over.

Yes?
Now that is what should be happening.
On behalf of all white people everywhere, I apologise for how we have treated your people, and how we continue to treat your people.

Someone with that profile pic should know that classist discrimination is the real problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending