silver_spirals
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I've applied for Liberal Arts at both Exeter and Durham (along with Leeds, KCL and Bristol) and have similar offers from both but really struggling to decide which one to go for? Loved both unis and have been accepted to my first choice college at Durham (St. Mary's) but feel like I should go somewhere for the course rather than the uni itself??

I definitely want to study English and French and potentially philosophy/sociology/drama. I know both courses offer most of these subjects (although Durham doesn't offer drama) so from a subject perspective it should be similar? However I know that exeter have core modules etc as well..
I'm also really interested in doing a year abroad which I think both courses offer but is potentially more competitive at Durham?

Basically I was just wondering whether anyone had any advice about the courses at both exeter and durham and whether anyone had gone for one over the other and why? Thank you so much in advance
ionatrex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey!
I've applied for Durham and Exeter also, for starters yes the course is the most important, but so is the environment that you are in. Durham is the top in the country (currently) for English so that could be an incentive for you.

However Liberal arts courses do differ a fair amount from one uni to the other. Exeter does have core modules but I believe they could add to the overall experience of 'Liberal Arts', I don't know about you but what appealed to me is that Lib Arts refines your critical analysis skills of both data and text - which is made available through the core modules and not in your average course. Personally however I firmed Durham, a choice made from preferring collegiate system, city and it being higher in league tables for my particular subject interest (Archaeology).

Durham will allow you to have a conglomeration of subject modules, with world-class teaching and a combined honors feel to it, but no core modules. I spoke to one guy at the open day and they said something like:
It may be more competitive with studying abroad, but studying Lib arts should give you an advantage because its so humanities focused, especially if you take a language.

Hope this has helped
Remember, nobody is ever COMPLETELY and ENTIRELY sure of any important decision they have made in life.
katie_nicole
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by silver_spirals)
Hi, I've applied for Liberal Arts at both Exeter and Durham (along with Leeds, KCL and Bristol) and have similar offers from both but really struggling to decide which one to go for? Loved both unis and have been accepted to my first choice college at Durham (St. Mary's) but feel like I should go somewhere for the course rather than the uni itself??

I definitely want to study English and French and potentially philosophy/sociology/drama. I know both courses offer most of these subjects (although Durham doesn't offer drama) so from a subject perspective it should be similar? However I know that exeter have core modules etc as well..
I'm also really interested in doing a year abroad which I think both courses offer but is potentially more competitive at Durham?

Basically I was just wondering whether anyone had any advice about the courses at both exeter and durham and whether anyone had gone for one over the other and why? Thank you so much in advance
hi, I can see this is from a few years ago, but I'm in a similar position - I was just wondering what decision you made?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed