Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There is a big thunderstorm at the moment and my boyfriend just phoned up to say that his car had been struck by lightning... :eek:
    he is ok but his car has broken down and he is waiting for the aa man

i hate thunder and lighning- it makes me want to cry...i am in the office and the power keeps going off

i hope he's ok.....i told him to stay in the car...
    :eek:

Ruthie xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    There is a big thunderstorm at the moment and my boyfriend just phoned up to say that his car had been struck by lightning... :eek:

i hate thunder and lighning- it makes me want to cry...i am in the office and the power keeps going off

Ruthie xx
    my god how scary :eek: he wasn't on a major road i hope?i broke down on the corner of a motorway junction the other day, thankfully i'djust come off the m'way, but i was terrified i'd get rammed into because cars don't realise how near the roundabout is to the end of the slip road.

speaking of thunder and lightening, just seen/heard some right now! oooh scary

ReputationRep:
    The otherday there was massive thunderstorm..never experienced one like it before. It was at night and the whole sky would light up and you could actuall see the lightening...like the zig zag bit...and it wouldnt stop raining, it was literally like buckets of water falling down. Apparently there is another one tonight...im getting my camera out!

ReputationRep:

Ruthie xx
    if hes in the car its ok...nothing will happen. luckily he wasnt out of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    my god how scary :eek: he wasn't on a major road i hope?i broke down on the corner of a motorway junction the other day, thankfully i'djust come off the m'way, but i was terrified i'd get rammed into because cars don't realise how near the roundabout is to the end of the slip road.

speaking of thunder and lightening, just seen/heard some right now! oooh scary
    no he was in the middle of the country and managed to pull into a layby thingy.....

i went all shaky and faint when he told me cos i thought something had happened to him
    luckily nothing did tho- and he should be safe in his car...

he phoned the aa and they said they would be there by 5.05 so hopefully they will be there soon....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    The otherday there was massive thunderstorm..never experienced one like it before. It was at night and the whole sky would light up and you could actuall see the lightening...like the zig zag bit...and it wouldnt stop raining, it was literally like buckets of water falling down. Apparently there is another one tonight...im getting my camera out!
    i've seen lightening zig-zags, last year i think. they're amazing- it was like a big silver branch flashing in the sky. so pretty

ReputationRep:
    i know.....
    stupid lightning....
    don't know why it would make his car break tho- cos on top gear they did this experiment in a power plant where someone in a car was hit with 100 times the voltage of lighning and they survied and the car worked after....so i don't know if it was just a coincidence that the car stopped working at the same time it was hit by lightning...probably not....the one on top gear had its engine turned off but my bf was driving so that different i suppose.....

ReputationRep:
    i know.....
    stupid lightning....
    don't know why it would make his car break tho- cos on top gear they did this experiment in a power plant where someone in a car was hit with 100 times the voltage of lighning and they survied and the car worked after....so i don't know if it was just a coincidence that the car stopped working at the same time it was hit by lightning...probably not....the one on top gear had its engine turned off but my bf was driving so that different i suppose.....

ReputationRep:
    i know.....
    stupid lightning....

ReputationRep:
    i know.....
    stupid lightning....
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The story of someone who was hit by lightening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabas...?thread=249705

ReputationRep:
    oops lots of posts- sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    The story of someone who was hit by lightening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabas...?thread=249705
    i definitely hope he stays in the car now..... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i definitely hope he stays in the car now..... :eek:
    call him and tell him.

ReputationRep:
    call him and tell him.
    i did and he said he would....
    *crosses fingers*
    the aa people should be there now anyway....

ReputationRep:
    U should unplug ur telly coz if lightning strukes - BOOM!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ovalorbit)
    U should unplug ur telly coz if lightning strukes - BOOM!
    my mother is obsessed with doing that. As soon as it starts to thunder she turns off all the lights and unplugs the telly and she closes all the taps. :rolleyes: Well I guess it is better to be safe rather than sorry!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    my mother is obsessed with doing that. As soon as it starts to thunder she turns off all the lights and unplugs the telly and she closes all the taps. :rolleyes: Well I guess it is better to be safe rather than sorry!
    She is unplugging the ariel cable from the telly and not just the power cable?

ReputationRep:
    it was like that a week ago down here

ReputationRep:
    I love thunder and lightning storms... especially at the beach. When I was little I started a tradition that whenever we were on vacation and it stormed at night I would sneak out of the room and sit on the top of the lifeguard tower on the beach! Its absolutely beautiful and well worth the risk, IMO. And not to tempt fate or anything but Ive never been struck! *crosses fingers*

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.