Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thunder and Lightning watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    She is unplugging the ariel cable from the telly and not just the power cable?
    no. just the power cable...or so I hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    i hate thunder and lighning- it makes me want to cry...i am in the office and the power keeps going off
    I love myself. Doesn't happen often and it's nice to see it back again.

(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    i hope he's ok.....i told him to stay in the car...
    :eek:
    Yes he will be. All cars are earthed which means that you will not get struck by lightning in the car, unless you do something stupid. There was an expierment on TV some time ago which proved it and some random guy got into his car and drove though a power station and got 20,000 volts hitting his car and he was absolutely fine.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    no. just the power cable...or so I hope!
    and if lightening were to hit the ariel (ie the highest metal object on the roof in most cases) how does she expect it to earth if she's disconnected the earth by pulling out the power socket - the energy/current will end up trying to earth itself in your front room.

IMO you should leave the power on (but with the TV switched off properly) but unplug the ariel cable....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    and if lightening were to hit the ariel (ie the highest metal object on the roof in most cases) how does she expect it to earth if she's disconnected the earth by pulling out the power socket - the energy/current will end up trying to earth itself in your front room.

IMO you should leave the power on (but with the TV switched off properly) but unplug the ariel cable....
    Clever girl! I never thought about that!

okay, it has started to pour it down over here (i'm in Mancheser - when is it ever dry?!) and I think I just heard some thunder...

ReputationRep:
    I think your relative safety in a car in a lightning storm has to do with the fact that the rubber from the tires is such a good insulator...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    Clever girl! I never thought about that!

okay, it has started to pour it down over here (i'm in Mancheser - when is it ever dry?!) and I think I just heard some thunder...
    I just went to get some chips 20 minutes ago and it was fine, now its pouring like the tropics. The thunder is getting closer too and the sky is greyer than I have ever seen it.

ReputationRep:
    As PQ said everything should be plugged in so its earthed. The arial should be plugged out though. Lightening tends to strike the nearest conductor it can find, so if you're in a city most houses will be fine, its only if you live in the countryside you will have a problem. If you live in a detached house on a farm for example and its thundering and lightening the chances are your arial will be struck, this has happened to my uncle a few times.

In the cities tall buildings tend to have lightening conductors on them which are designed so lightening will strike it and caurse(sp damn I am loosing it :mad: ) harm.

ReputationRep:
    Do those special anti-lightning plugs work? I've got all my hi-tech gadgets connected to these things but I don't really know how effective they are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Do those special anti-lightning plugs work? I've got all my hi-tech gadgets connected to these things but I don't really know how effective they are!
    Surge protection you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayG)
    I think your relative safety in a car in a lightning storm has to do with the fact that the rubber from the tires is such a good insulator...
    Not quite. Bear in mind that lightning can jump massive distances in the air, far greater than the distance between the chassis of your car and the ground

You are safe, because if lightening strikes the car, it finds the easiest path to ground, and roof, metal sides of the car, chassis, air gap ground, is an easier path than roof, air gap, you, the seat, chassis, air-gap, ground

If the roof was metal, the chassis metal and the sides glass, then it would be a very dangerous place to be.

ReputationRep:
    ooh!...i just saw a big lighting zig zag thing out of my window........well it looked pretty :rolleyes:

For all the lightning lovers..

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rsfloc3.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    Not quite. Bear in mind that lightning can jump massive distances in the air, far greater than the distance between the chassis of your car and the ground

You are safe, because if lightening strikes the car, it finds the easiest path to ground, and roof, metal sides of the car, chassis, air gap ground, is an easier path than roof, air gap, you, the seat, chassis, air-gap, ground

If the roof was metal, the chassis metal and the sides glass, then it would be a very dangerous place to be.
    ooh, okay - makes sense... thanks for clearing that up!

also, anyone know anything about ball lightning? Imagine a ball of lightning the size of an orange flying horizontally through your house somewhere and then disappearing a few seconds later... sounds kinda nifty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)

I take it 23 is the best then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)

what is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I just went to get some chips 20 minutes ago and it was fine, now its pouring like the tropics. The thunder is getting closer too and the sky is greyer than I have ever seen it.
    I know! The raindrops were the size of tennis balls!
    It doesn't help that I live at the top of a steep hill - the lightning is so close sometimes to my house, its scary!

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I take it 23 is the best then
    0-23=hours in UTC

ReputationRep:
    good to hear he's ok ruth and I hope the thunder and lightning didn't make you cry too much (did he phone you before he phoned his dad or was his dad just too inconsiderate to tell you?). I went for a walk in a thunder storm today. I love walking in really heavy rain - I find it very refreshing.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    I love walking in really heavy rain - I find it very refreshing.
    Sometimes the air feels fresher once it has rained heavily. No idea why. Anyone know? This is better than being muggy at night for sure IMO.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Sometimes the air feels fresher once it has rained heavily. No idea why. Anyone know? This is better than being muggy at night for sure IMO.
    It is actually cleaner and fresher after a thunderstorm.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.