Am I being paranoid or could this 'tonsillitis' be more serious? Watch

Mazzii342
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know nobody is a doctor here or whatever, but maybe I just need somebody objective to look at the whole picture. A weekish ago I had the worst sore throat imaginable. I went to the walk in center two days later when I realised my tonsils were inflamed and had white dots on them. I also had the 'flu'. I was given antibiotics to take for 10 days.

I'm now over half way through my course and my tonsils look as bad as ever. I've also developed a never ending cough and two cyst-like things in my mouth- one on the side of the roof of my mouth, and the other at the back of my throat near my tonsils. I'm getting really worried now. The medication is doing nothing, and I'm taking so many pain-killers because it hurts so much, and am getting less than three hours of sleep a night.

Could this be more serious like throat cancer? Why is it only getting worse? Maybe I'm a hypochondriac, I'm always looking up symptoms and making up stories in my head of what I have. But usually my anxiety stops me from actually going to a doctor, I literally never approach one, except for now- that's how much pain I'm in. Shall I go back? Or shall I just chill and wait till the 10 days are up and if it hasn't gotten any better, go back then? I wan't sleep and to go to work and to swallow again! If this is throat cancer I'm not in the mood to deal with it I have so much to do! Thanks
NadiaRoseX
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I had an extremely bad case of tonsilitis a few weeks ago, where I struggled to move and was completely exhausted, but with antibiotics I was feeling better by around the fifth day. The doctor said it was the worse case he'd ever seen, and I didn't have any cysts or anything, and I know it might make you anxious to go back to the doctor, but I think in this siutation you should, as its better to know if there's anything wrong with you rather than istting at home and thinking the worse. Hope you feel better soon!! x
carajayne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go back to the doctors. If antibiotics aren't working and your throat is getting progressively worse then there's other antibiotics you can try. I regularly get tonsillitis and I'm always told if it gets drastically worse to go back.
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mazzii342)
I know nobody is a doctor here or whatever, but maybe I just need somebody objective to look at the whole picture. A weekish ago I had the worst sore throat imaginable. I went to the walk in center two days later when I realised my tonsils were inflamed and had white dots on them. I also had the 'flu'. I was given antibiotics to take for 10 days.

I'm now over half way through my course and my tonsils look as bad as ever. I've also developed a never ending cough and two cyst-like things in my mouth- one on the side of the roof of my mouth, and the other at the back of my throat near my tonsils. I'm getting really worried now. The medication is doing nothing, and I'm taking so many pain-killers because it hurts so much, and am getting less than three hours of sleep a night.

Could this be more serious like throat cancer? Why is it only getting worse? Maybe I'm a hypochondriac, I'm always looking up symptoms and making up stories in my head of what I have. But usually my anxiety stops me from actually going to a doctor, I literally never approach one, except for now- that's how much pain I'm in. Shall I go back? Or shall I just chill and wait till the 10 days are up and if it hasn't gotten any better, go back then? I wan't sleep and to go to work and to swallow again! If this is throat cancer I'm not in the mood to deal with it I have so much to do! Thanks
Are you sure the sores in your mouth aren't just ulcers? It's quite normal to get them, especially when you're ill. As for the antibiotics not working, give it another day or two and if it's still no better, do go back. It could be that you just need a different one, or a longer course. It does sound like tonsillitis though. Don't worry yourself about throat cancer or anything like that until you've seen another doctor and they start to worry about it too, which is unlikely. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids and rest as much as you can
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
high doses of antibiotics can allow the spread of candida ( thrush ) in the mouth and throat.

next time you see the doc ask him if that might be the cause of the white bits.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Oral-th...roduction.aspx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (11)
8.8%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (13)
10.4%
No, but maybe I will look into it (33)
26.4%
No and I wouldn't consider it (68)
54.4%

Watched Threads