The Student Room Group

Predict the grade boundary for GCSE Maths 2017 exams on the two tiers.

I'm guessing for the foundation tier it will be like this:

5: 60 marks
4: 49 marks
3: 39 marks
2: 29 marks
1: 19 marks

and for higher tier:
8: 70 marks
7: 64 marks
6: 57 marks
5: 44 marks
4: 36 marks
3: 19 marks

the grade 9 isn't on the grade boundary, only the top 5% of the grade 8 people would get it.

What do you think the grade boundaries would be like? The more grade boundary predictions the better, so that I could make a semi-accurate grade boundary

raw marks only.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think those are accurate at all...
A 5 on the higher tier would not be 44, it would be much lower (you're looking at around 25, 30 max).

For higher tier:
9: 74 marks
8: 63 marks
7: 53 marks
6: 42 marks
5: 25 marks
4: 16 marks
3: 9 marks
Reply 2
Original post by Quizlet
A 5 on the higher tier would not be 44, it would be much lower (you're looking at around 25, 30 max).

For higher tier:

really? I would have thought if it was going to be a low grade boundary, it would at least be little higher than that. like 14 marks for a grade 3 on higher tier. what do you think it would be like for the foundation?
Original post by Quizlet

For higher tier:

This puzzles me.
In my mocks, I got 50/240, which is about 21%. And that should've been a 4, no? I got a U however.

I nthe next mocks, I definitely need a 5 or 6.

This is was over 3 papers btw.
Total scores are the only thing that work in my mind so
(Higher Tier)
9: 218
8: 187
7: 152
6: 108
5: 64
4: 27

210 for an 8? That's even higher than my teacher (who has ridiculously high grade boundaries) has predicted! It's currently about 80% for an A* (192) and the exam is harder for most people and you're proposing it goes higher? Wow lol
Reply 5
Original post by Praefectus
This puzzles me.
In my mocks, I got 50/240, which is about 21%. And that should've been a 4, no? I got a U however.

Hmmm... 50 marks would scrape a 4 in our school.
I see a lot of Y11s getting low raw marks in these new spec maths GCSES. The grade boundaries are likely going to be low, due to these factors:

New spec, teachers often don't know what to expect completely, and this can lead to students being unprepared

Older years won't be resitting this exam, they'll be doing the old spec, therefore the average age of the taker drops. Older people naturally do better, with a younger lot, you can expect lower performance.
Reply 7
Original post by Lemur14
Total scores are the only thing that work in my mind so
(Higher Tier)
9: 218
8: 187
7: 152
6: 108
5: 64
4: 27

210 for an 8? That's even higher than my teacher (who has ridiculously high grade boundaries) has predicted! It's currently about 80% for an A* (192) and the exam is harder for most people and you're proposing it goes higher? Wow lol

I don't actually want it to be as high as I am predicting it to be, but it could be like that, i'm kind of a pessimist, so I could have predicted that worst case scenario a bit high.
Original post by Quizlet
Hmmm... 50 marks would scrape a 4 in our school.

Wow, so I got a 4 instead of a U?
Feels good man :smile:
Reply 9
This puzzles me.

you need to work very hard if your getting 50/240 at the moment to get a 5 or 6, I would have thought they would give you at least a grade 3 for 50 marks.
Wow, so I got a 4 instead of a U?
Feels good man :smile:

Depends on what paper, what exam board etc.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I see a lot of Y11s getting low raw marks in these new spec maths GCSES. The grade boundaries are likely going to be low, due to these factors:

New spec, teachers often don't know what to expect completely, and this can lead to students being unprepared

Older years won't be resitting this exam, they'll be doing the old spec, therefore the average age of the taker drops. Older people naturally do better, with a younger lot, you can expect lower performance.

I agree with you apart from the last point. If the older people are resitting the exam, it is almost always because they missed the "magic C" Therefore, they won't naturally do better, in fact if I remember the statistic correctly, 75% of people who miss the C the first time will never get it so that definitely doesn't show they will be doing better, and simply because we are younger than those who are retaking the results will be lower.
Also, what is "low" raw marks? Low is different to different people. For example, I got 71/80 in paper 1 for my mock and my teacher shouted at me because it wasn't good enough. My friend got 65/80 and she got a massive well done because it was a lot higher than last time. So low is subjective and before any grade boundaries have been set, should not be used to describe them.

Original post by Jenniferhhh
I don't actually want it to be as high as I am predicting it to be, but it could be like that, i'm kind of a pessimist, so I could have predicted that worst case scenario a bit high.

No one wants high grade boundaries lol. I don't honestly think that they could be that high and I'm a complete pessimist so that's something.
Original post by Quizlet
Depends on what paper, what exam board etc.

what exam board do you think makes the hardest questions and the hardest grade boundaries?
what exam board do you think makes the hardest questions and the hardest grade boundaries?

All exam boards make similar type papers, so I can't tell you accurately, all of the exam boards probably have the same difficulty/ similar grade boundaries.

BTW: The grade boundaries I posted were not for all three papers, but for one paper. :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
I agree with you apart from the last point. If the older people are resitting the exam, it is almost always because they missed the "magic C" Therefore, they won't naturally do better, in fact if I remember the statistic correctly, 75% of people who miss the C the first time will never get it so that definitely doesn't show they will be doing better, and simply because we are younger than those who are retaking the results will be lower.
Also, what is "low" raw marks? Low is different to different people. For example, I got 71/80 in paper 1 for my mock and my teacher shouted at me because it wasn't good enough. My friend got 65/80 and she got a massive well done because it was a lot higher than last time. So low is subjective and before any grade boundaries have been set, should not be used to describe them.

No one wants high grade boundaries lol. I don't honestly think that they could be that high and I'm a complete pessimist so that's something.

Low relative to what the raw marks typically are for grades.

Exam results typically show that people who resit do better than people who don't. I also had people in my year group resit GCSE maths to get an A. About 7 of them did that. If you look at the January exams for subjects, which are the months people often resit, you'd see they have high boundaries. People don't always resit to pass, and that's especially true at A Level where a significant number resit just to get A*
Most of the grade boundaries that have been predicted on this thread have been about the higher tier. what do you guys think about the foundation tier?
Foundation tier (predictions- all three papers added together):
5: 170
4: 135
3: 95
2: 65
1: 35
180 = 8
150= 7
This is what I think.
you need to work very hard if your getting 50/240 at the moment to get a 5 or 6, I would have thought they would give you at least a grade 3 for 50 marks.

That exam was 2 months ago. I've learnt A LOT of content between then and now. I need atleast a 5 in the next mocks in march to do higher for GCSEs.
Reply 19
I'm thinking
Higher Tier
9-215
8-192
7-167
6-140
5-117
4-95
3-70

Quick Reply

Latest