The Student Room Group

Maths Mark scheme

So in the 9-1 maths mark scheme there are p1 marks, process marks, rather than method marks. For example:

P1: For selecting the positive value of x and applying Pythagoras to find the hypotenuse

Say if I did the right process but got the wrong answer, because of a wrong sign or number, will I still get the P1 mark?
(edited 7 years ago)
BUMP
I think you should get the p1 mark as its only the process and not whether you have the correct answer
Reply 3
Original post by CraigBackner
So in the 9-1 maths mark scheme there are p1 marks, process marks, rather than method marks. For example:

P1: For selecting the positive value of x and applying Pythagoras to find the hypotenuse

Say if I did the right process but got the wrong answer, because of a wrong sign or number, will I still get the P1 mark?

Do you have an example of a question you were looking at?

This depends. P1 are for a correct process and not really affected by accuracy.

However when you say incorrect sign, this suggests you're doing something like a2+c2=b2 a^2 + c^2 = b^2 , so mixing up the hypotenuse with other sides. That is a wrong process and so would not get the process mark.

You'll need to a give specific example if you want full clarification, though. Hope it helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by notnek
Do you have an example of a question you were looking at?

Original post by crashMATHS
This depends. P1 are for a correct process and not really affected by accuracy.

However when you say incorrect sign, this suggests you're doing something like a2+c2=b2 a^2 + c^2 = b^2 , so mixing up the hypotenuse with other sides. That is a wrong process and so would not get the process mark.

You'll need to a give specific example if you want full clarification, though. Hope it helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Copy of 1MA1 - specimen papers set 1 - 7-9 practice paper gold.doc [Compatibility Mode] - Word 1.png
Ok so for that question I worked out the positive value of x to be 1+61+\sqrt 6, however I incorrectly calculated the other side of the triangle to be 16-1-\sqrt 6, instead of 1+6-1+\sqrt 6 but still continued to find the hypotenuse by using Pythagoras theorem, which obviously lead me to the wrong answer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Copy of 1MA1 - specimen papers set 1 - 7-9 practice paper gold.doc [Compatibility Mode] - Word 1.png
Ok so for that question I worked out the positive value of x to be 1+61+\sqrt 6, however I incorrectly calculated the other side of the triangle to be 16-1-\sqrt 6, instead of 1+6-1+\sqrt 6 but still continued to find the hypotenuse by using Pythagoras theorem, which obviously lead me to the wrong answer.

Yes, you deserve the process mark if it is available. You have used the correct technique to find the hypotenuse.

Quick Reply

Latest