The Student Room Group

Can't get a part time job

I have been trying for over a year to get a part time job. I desperately need it because my parents refuse to pay for anything for me and I constantly have to miss out on things due to a lack of money. I have applied and been rejected from 78 jobs in the last two months. I have work experience as I have done a year's volunteering at a charity shop and I used to help out at a local Scouts group. I have good grades and would be willing to work all of the hours I possibly could. It's so demoralizing to see people younger than me getting jobs with no experience whatsoever - some of them don't even have CVs. I'm so frustrated because I feel that I am hardworking and I always do everything to the best of my ability, so why won't anyone hire me? I've been to see the careers adviser at my school and he said that my CV is perfect and that my references are good ones and he doesn't know why no one has been willing to hire me yet. It's jobs which I have the perfect amount of experience for, then I find out they've given the job to someone in my school who has absolutely no experience. Why is it so much harder for me to find a job than everyone else? No one else I know has had to apply for more than 20 before they got one. I'm just about ready to give up, if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.
Reply 1
I read John is 3 times more likely to get a job interview than Mohammed. There are so many factors in recruitment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Have you attended interviews? if so it could be your technique

If there's a questionnaire you may get some answers wrong, my mum used to sit with me and check

Are you overqualified? you say you have loads of experience so maybe your looking at jobs beneath you

Are you using your friends? Most people don't like getting their friends jobs as they become essential liable for them but good friends will try and at least get you an interview.

Hope this helps in some way:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending