The Student Room Group

New Disability Student Allowance claimant

Hi I started my university course in Septmeber of last year, and after struggling with work was tsted for Dyslexia and recently received my assessment report showing I have Dyslexia and Visual Stress.

I have now received a letter to ask me to attend an assessment unit from SLC.

I am slightly confused as to why I had to give my bank account details, also am I claiming for 2016/17, as my parents purchased all electrical equipment, laptop printer etc already, and I bought myself an Ipad to help me during lectures, because I was stuggling writing the notes and found it easier to type them, so I really don't understand what the form was for.

Also do I need to apply for this each year, because it says I have to sort my student finance before the dsa, so now very confused.

Any help will be much appreciated
Original post by Ronanracer
Hi I started my university course in Septmeber of last year, and after struggling with work was tsted for Dyslexia and recently received my assessment report showing I have Dyslexia and Visual Stress.

I have now received a letter to ask me to attend an assessment unit from SLC.

I am slightly confused as to why I had to give my bank account details, also am I claiming for 2016/17, as my parents purchased all electrical equipment, laptop printer etc already, and I bought myself an Ipad to help me during lectures, because I was stuggling writing the notes and found it easier to type them, so I really don't understand what the form was for.

Also do I need to apply for this each year, because it says I have to sort my student finance before the dsa, so now very confused.

Any help will be much appreciated

The bank details are for if they give you a printing allowance, as you already have working equipment it's likely they ll give you software to put on it and perhaps 1:1 support. Once you have dsa it normally runs till the end of your course so you shouldn't need to reapply
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
The bank details are for if they give you a printing allowance, as you already have working equipment it's likely they ll give you software to put on it and perhaps 1:1 support. Once you have dsa it normally runs till the end of your course so you shouldn't need to reapply

Thankyou for the information, I hope I do get a printing allowance as I have gone through so much paper and ink as I cannot read from the laptop, and I have been printing everything. Would i be able to buy yellow paper as that is what is best with my visual stress, would this be paid on one go so I have to portion it out by dividing it by three one for each year.

Everything is backwards, as I am applying for the DSA before my finance for 17/18, will this affect my student finance application.

Regards
Thankyou for the information, I hope I do get a printing allowance as I have gone through so much paper and ink as I cannot read from the laptop, and I have been printing everything. Would i be able to buy yellow paper as that is what is best with my visual stress, would this be paid on one go so I have to portion it out by dividing it by three one for each year.

Everything is backwards, as I am applying for the DSA before my finance for 17/18, will this affect my student finance application.

Regards

Coloured paper is something that can recommend, it won't affect your student finance application. They don't give you the money in a lump sum you just send them receipts to claim it back
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Coloured paper is something that can recommend, it won't affect your student finance application. They don't give you the money in a lump sum you just send them receipts to claim it back

Thanks again, one more question I don't have any receipts for the stuffI have used so far so I assume that I will have to write that off.

Regards
Thanks again, one more question I don't have any receipts for the stuffI have used so far so I assume that I will have to write that off.

Regards

Unfortunately, yes. You're usually entitled to £x to spend on coloured paper year. You have a form to fill in and send back the receipts.

Quick Reply

Latest