Need advice on application to uni 2018....?

ReputationRep:
    Okay so here it goes this is my situation. I was in college last year intending on re doing my GSCE’s so I could apply for the Access Course, to get me into university as I had lost my certificates and was told I could redo them. But due to family circumstances I dropped out.

Anyhow I decided to get myself out of this funk and look at some other options to get me into university. So I have decided (if this is even the right thing to do) to do an access to higher education diploma online. It will give me 260 credits and can be studied between 9-12 months. I am looking to start this course in April as they want GCSE’s in Maths and English and off I have lost the certificates. I enquired on how to get them and was told I could get them back if I knew my exam board, dates and paid £43 and it would take 4 weeks. I got a B in English Language in school in 2009. I also got a level 2 City and Guilds Functional Skills in 2011 at college. I asked if these would be fine and the online course have said yes. Anyway after all that headache I should be looking to start this online course in April and would be looking on finishing the course in January/Feb/March/April LATEST.

So whats my options for University. When do I apply (thinking of applying for 2018). When do I give them my predicted grades. Who can I get to be my two references (since I will be studying online I will have a tutor which can be one) but who can I get to be the other one? The course I want to get on requires 144 ucas points. I will be studying 260. (I think).

Any help, suggestions, telling me im doing the wrong thing, what I should be doing, would be most helpful as I am stressing out right now.
    Thanks.
    (Sorry if ive repeated anything I haven't slept for a few days (insomina)
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps contact universities you're considering to apply to and ask them. Also perhaps contact UCAS directly? I don't think 2018 applicants will open till around September but I would recommend looking at universities and the courses they offer and contact them (if possible) with any questions. Hope that helps

When you fill out your UCAS application you will fill out your GCSE and A-Level results, it might be worth looking at the UCAS website in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply...I will be phoning UCAS tomorrow to see what advice they can offer. I did ask one of my potential ones and they said I would have to make an interview to speak with one of the advisors. So I will start chasing that up as well.
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StaceyH93)
    So whats my options for University. When do I apply (thinking of applying for 2018). When do I give them my predicted grades. Who can I get to be my two references (since I will be studying online I will have a tutor which can be one) but who can I get to be the other one? The course I want to get on requires 144 ucas points. I will be studying 260. (I think).
    You only need one referee. Your online tutor can be the referee, and should provide your predictions. You can apply via UCAS any time after September until January 2018.

If you get Distinctions in your Access to HE course you will have 144 points (equivalent to AAA at A-level). The points tariff was changed this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! That has put my mind at ease. I will be enrolling on the 24th of this month now if I pay £100 upfront to secure my place as there is limited funding for the 19+ Loan and this will secure my place while I wait for my certificates to come through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StaceyH93)
    Thank you!! That has put my mind at ease. I will be enrolling on the 24th of this month now if I pay £100 upfront to secure my place as there is limited funding for the 19+ Loan and this will secure my place while I wait for my certificates to come through.
    No problem, and good luck.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 17, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Electronic notes or handwritten notes?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.