The Student Room Group

Trump's bizarre rambling press conference - is he losing the plot?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Without meaning to be patronising to him, TorpidPhil's comment was revealing and probably expressed very widely shared sentiments among Trump's supporters. I doubt whether many of them expect consistently accurate citations of statistics and factual details from him (although I'm sure some of them do expect that). When people say Trump is 'honest and real' they mean he is willing to actually take a position. They like his 'bluntness'. Even if a given position is based on a false understanding of the facts that is viewed as preferable to the usual political prevarication and obfuscation.

I personally think there's something to this. The media has been especially important in forcing politicians to speak in a very rehearsed manner, which comes across as fake. I don't blame the politicians for this, but I do think it is fairly obvious that this trend would lead a lot of people to appreciate someone who at least seems like he just says what he thinks at any given moment.

But the public is fickle. Ultimately it will pick on a single misleading statement to bring a politician down. That is why the journalists kept asking him in different ways about pre-election contacts with the Russians. If those contacts exist, Trump is doomed.
I've heard reports about Trump having dementia... would not be at all surprised. I bet the GOP are privately terrified.

Original post by joecphillips
Trump could personally find the cure for cancer and you would still find something to complain about, is this your plan for the next few years making a daily post on here about how bad trump is?

Trump could personally shoot every cancer patient in America and you would still defend him. You usually have so much to say about Trump, but over the past few days you've been extraordinarily silent. Run out of alternative facts?
(edited 7 years ago)
I just love the way the guy works. Not afraid to stand up to the fake news media. Tells the facts like it is. I'm loving it
Original post by nulli tertius
But the public is fickle. Ultimately it will pick on a single misleading statement to bring a politician down. That is why the journalists kept asking him in different ways about pre-election contacts with the Russians. If those contacts exist, Trump is doomed.

Maybe, but he's been involved in a large number of scandals and made no end of misleading statements already. Each time everyone has predicted his downfall and each time everyone has been wrong. I just don't know why his support would crumble this time rather than on the 50 prior occasions on which he did the exact same thing.
Seriously, are the Borg going to be in panic mode for the next 4 or 8 years?

Trump refuses to be cowed by the MSM and treats them with the disdain they deserve.

Who knows, an honest media may be one of Trump's greatest achievements.

Also, the SJW meltdown continues to amuse.
Topical: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-media-trust-poll-fox-news-235168?cmpid=sf

Voters are nearly split on who they trust more, the Trump administration or the media, according to a new poll released Friday, with a slim plurality having more faith in the president's officials to “tell the public the truth” than the reporters who cover them.

The Fox News poll found that 45 percent trusted “government officials” under President Donald Trump to tell the public the truth over news outlets. Some 42 percent trusted news outlets over Trump officials, with 10 percent trusting neither.

The results were vastly skewed along partisan lines, with 81 percent of Republicans trusting the administration over the media and 79 percent of Democrats deferring to news organizations over the White House. Twice as many independents trusted the president's team over the press, 52 percent to 26 percent. Sixteen percent of independents trusted neither.
Original post by AlexanderHam
Indeed, good point. I don't think the US has ever had a president who is so lacking in general, historical and literary knowledge.

You're probably right, but you'd be surprised. I admit my research is only on one case study, namely the Bosnian War, but it's always striking how simplistic and basic the understanding of not only Clinton, but various Western leaders and diplomats, was regarding the war and its nuances. In a way that's OK - the President can't be an expert on everything - but what is surprising is how many think they are experts.
Machiavelli's The Prince has interesting, yet influential themes on politics and the truth...
Original post by BrainyBengali
He never had a plot to start with... He's an open book with nothing but blank pages :biggrin:

Since the 80s... To the Donald: your life is a mystery... mine is an open book. If I could read your mind, I think I'd take a look! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending