What virtues are the most important for being a good person?

Watch
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
It's easy to believe oneself to be a good person, but it's not always easy to understand what that means.

A good person has positive characteristics that make them good, but people disagree which of these virtues are the most important. That leads me to ask the question:

After thinking about it a little, I think wisdom, compassion and integrity are among the most important, but would like to hear others' thoughts.
prazzyjazzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Acceptance, empathy, honesty. Empathy to relate to others, acceptance to respect others whether you relate or not, and honesty to communicate effectively.
Michael_Fishy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Integrity. The ability admit you are wrong, respect for others until they've done something to not deserve it. A sense of right and wrong. Sensitivity to the needs and wants of others. Someone who puts the welfare of others before themselves.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The ability to treat other people with decency, and to be there for others.

This is understandably rare, however.
John10101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To give lots of money to charity and let others know how much and how frequent you give to charity's
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by miser)
It's easy to believe oneself to be a good person, but it's not always easy to understand what that means.

A good person has positive characteristics that make them good, but people disagree which of these virtues are the most important. That leads me to ask the question:

After thinking about it a little, I think wisdom, compassion and integrity are among the most important, but would like to hear others' thoughts.
I d agree with compassion and integrity
It's not so much a virtue but being self aware; knowing how your actions can affect others is something I think I good person does.
Cherub012
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Being grateful - something I struggle with.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think a significant one is empathy. A lot of positive attributes and actions can stem from understanding another person's feelings, or at least recognising that how you act can impact upon them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
r3035
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
getting instagram likes

getting into oxford/cambridge and then telling everyone about it

doing charity work to get a knighthood
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Forgiveness, kindness, love, acceptance.
ForestShadow
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by miser)

being kind hearted and willing to learn

kind heart comes first, your motives must be pure and ethically/morally correct

next is willingness to learn any new thing and apply a kind heart to it
ForestShadow
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by r3035)
getting instagram likes

getting into oxford/cambridge and then telling everyone about it

doing charity work to get a knighthood
ILoveExo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Love and everything that follows.

The 12 fruits of the holy spirit.
Asolare
Report 3 years ago
Empathy is probably the most important.
miser
Rep:
?
(Original post by ForestShadow)
being kind hearted and willing to learn

kind heart comes first, your motives must be pure and ethically/morally correct

next is willingness to learn any new thing and apply a kind heart to it
I like your answer, thanks for sharing it. If one isn't willing to learn, actions motivated from kindness might not be as effective.

Thinking about what you wrote, maybe it can be seen that being kind-hearted gives one the will to help others; wisdom the means to; and integrity the strength to even when faced with adversity. I think you're right that there's a natural priority - the will to help motivates one to find the means, and finding the means motivates one to become capable of enacting them.
moodle30
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Take the seven deadly sins and reverse them....

Sloth, Greed, Wrath, Lust, Gluttony....etc etc
AYNTDIS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Patience, compassion, determination, empathy, courage and faith.

Faith is the most important. If you wait for evidence before believing certain things then you limit the potential of all the other qualities. Courage requires the faith that you will succeed, empathy requires the faith that you can comprehend another, determination requires the faith that success has meaning, compassoin requires faith in love, patience requires faith in the will of yourself or another.
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by miser)

Why re-invent the wheel? Aristotle had already done this work:

Name:  Aristotle_GoldenMean_from_bcresources.jpg.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  65.0 KB
miser
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
Why re-invent the wheel? Aristotle had already done this work:
Of course there are many virtues, but I was interested in understanding which ones people believed were the most important. Discussion promotes exchanges of views and ideas, which is beneficial for encountering and considering new perspectives.

Besides, everyone must decide for him or herself how it's best to live, so in this case I believe the wheel must necessarily be re-invented.
Mathsmad123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mental toughness
Empathy
Communication
Compassion
Motivation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.76%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads