The Student Room Group

I want to become an MP but I have a record of abusive messages. WHAT DO I DO?

I had anger issues as a teenager, I would regularly send absuvie messages to teachers and even my ex girlfriend at one point.

I have moved on, I have changed, and i very much regret these mistakes.

Unfortunately, it seems like my political career is a sinking ship waiting to happen. Is there anyway I can get away from this? Delete my facebook for example?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mvpmb
I had anger issues as a teenager, I would regularly send absuvie messages to teachers and even my ex girlfriend at one point.

Unfortunately, it seems like my political career is a sinking ship waiting to happen. Is there anyway I can get away from this? Delete my facebook for example?

That would be a start, although snapshots and backups would still exist containing said messages.
Prerequisite for high office, skeletons in closets.
Reply 3
Original post by Mvpmb

Hi, I hope you're well. I also aspire to become an MP one day or work for an MP and I can understand your problem. I acknowledge that one can make mistakes in life and as you've described above, I'm sure you have moved on. I don't think you're political career would be ruined to a significant extent but if you did go on to become an MP in the future, you would certainly have to apologise for the abusive messages made in the past and from then on think about your image in the public eye before you face further criticism. Btw, are you interested in joining the MHoC (Model House of Commons)?
If you haven't already done so, then write to everyone you sent these messages to with an apology and explanation. Then start working with/raising money for a charity that helps young people with anger problems, or something as similar as you can find. Then when you try to get into politics, do not try to hide your past - use it as a positive e.g. You overcame a serious problem, and now you are in a position to understand and help other people with problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by BringMoreCoffee
If you haven't already done so, then write to everyone you sent these messages to with an apology and explanation. Then start working with/raising money for a charity that helps young people with anger problems, or something as similar as you can find. Then when you try to get into politics, do not try to hide your past - use it as a positive e.g. You overcame a serious problem, and now you are in a position to understand and help other people with problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree, that would help them to overcome the criticism should they contest an MP election in the future.
If you make it to any interview stage, be completely honest and upfront about it right from the start. The interviewing panel will probably want to read every message, so it might not be wise to delete them. They will want to know exactly the extent of the abusive content. Only then will they be able to make an informed decision as to whether you might potentially be a liability further down the line or not.
Reply 7
Just to give you guys more context

I'm young but my engagement in politics is already quite profound.

I worked for my local MP zac goldmsmith before he got defeated, and I have been elected to be President of York Politics. I also busted my gut to get 100% in my politics Alevel which was something I was really proud of.

I think my problems with authority in the past will be easily forgotten. My main concern is this girl. I had issues with my mother so I've always been a bit un-predictable around woman. I had a very very bad realtionship over my A levels. Truth be told, she was in the wrong, but I responded very immaturely with a string of messages. it wasn't extreme, no death threats or harrasment, but I said some nasty stuff. I figure she has every reason to hate me and the media would gobble that kind of stuff up.

I'm not to worried about screenshots, because anyone could make a fake screen shot using fake profiles or photoshop, that would be easy to deny. I'm confident there is a way I could rid my facebook and email accounts so it could never be officially proven it was me.

Unfortunately its just really scary. To be an MP you have to self fund thousands of pounds. Could I really risk all that money to become an enemy in the eyes of the public the second I gain office?

The problem is that its my real dream, I don't want to give up
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I guess the question is

Assuming the accounts I sent the messages from have their name/photos changed and get formally deleted by facebook(You can request that, it goes beyond a regular deactivation)

Could this person still prove the messages where me without going through some expensive court process?

Im sure facebook themselves would have the capacity to trace it back to me. But they would need legal pressure to be bothered?
(edited 7 years ago)
You have already been given a lot of sound advice above.
One thing though, also have a back up dream. Back up plan.
If this falls through, do you have something else to aim for, that you would like to be.
Reply 10
Duly noted. Would you agree though that I should be alright If i can get everything deleted? Its hard to tell, I think i would probably be wise to seek out a tech savvy person.

Apologisng would obviously be the most logical option, the problem is my relationship with this person is beyond saving. I may try again in a few years when we have both moved on.

As for a back up plan, I completely agree. But once you get into politics, its a life dedication, its either worth trying or it isn;t.

Thank you for the advice in any case!
Oh...
Current MPs do a lot worse than swearing, man.
Original post by Mvpmb
Duly noted. Would you agree though that I should be alright If i can get everything deleted? Its hard to tell, I think i would probably be wise to seek out a tech savvy person.

Apologisng would obviously be the most logical option, the problem is my relationship with this person is beyond saving. I may try again in a few years when we have both moved on.

As for a back up plan, I completely agree. But once you get into politics, its a life dedication, its either worth trying or it isn;t.

Idk about deleting everything. As they say, once on the internet, it's there forever. You cannot completely delete it anyway.
To me, if everything was deleted, it would look fishy, or no? Like you've somehing to hide? Then when things come out into he open, what then?

Apologise. Sounds best method. You don't need to save the relationship. Just apologise.

Fair enough.
I wanted to be an MP, but I think it might be a waste of my talent.
Original post by Mvpmb
Just to give you guys more context

I'm young but my engagement in politics is already quite profound.

I worked for my local MP zac goldmsmith before he got defeated, and I have been elected to be President of York Politics. I also busted my gut to get 100% in my politics Alevel which was something I was really proud of.

I think my problems with authority in the past will be easily forgotten. My main concern is this girl. I had issues with my mother so I've always been a bit un-predictable around woman. I had a very very bad realtionship over my A levels. Truth be told, she was in the wrong, but I responded very immaturely with a string of messages. it wasn't extreme, no death threats or harrasment, but I said some nasty stuff. I figure she has every reason to hate me and the media would gobble that kind of stuff up.

I'm not to worried about screenshots, because anyone could make a fake screen shot using fake profiles or photoshop, that would be easy to deny. I'm confident there is a way I could rid my facebook and email accounts so it could never be officially proven it was me.

Unfortunately its just really scary. To be an MP you have to self fund thousands of pounds. Could I really risk all that money to become an enemy in the eyes of the public the second I gain office?

The problem is that its my real dream, I don't want to give up

Lets say you made it to MP and these e-mails surfaced. You could ofc deny them, but because they are actually true, then you would have committed possibly the more serious offence of being a liar. If that is pushed, then you have to lie again or get found out. You are being quite cagey tbh. If the girl has any sense about her and the e-mails were abusive then she will have already saved copies.

I doubt something as a child would come back to haunt you, unless it shows you to be a hypocrite.
Original post by Mvpmb

My understanding is that when political parties interview you for getting their nomination to a seat, they'll ask you if there's anything in your past that might pop up. This is an example of something you'd need to fess up to.

I don't think it's the end of your dream. York's politics course is good, and you're obviously doing well to make connections. Even David Cameron got busted for smoking weed in Eton (I think), and Clegg did some stupid things while drunk.
Reply 16
Exactly and you don't want to make a potential situation look even worse by hiding things, he/she should go out in the public eye to apologise for previous abusive messages and move on with life.
Reply 17
Original post by Jasaron
My understanding is that when political parties interview you for getting their nomination to a seat, they'll ask you if there's anything in your past that might pop up. This is an example of something you'd need to fess up to.

I don't think it's the end of your dream. York's politics course is good, and you're obviously doing well to make connections. Even David Cameron got busted for smoking weed in Eton (I think), and Clegg did some stupid things while drunk.

That's very true ...
Original post by Mvpmb

Please don't become an MP if your first and considered instincts on making a mistake are to try to delete/hide the evidence.
Reply 19
Look guys
I would absolutely love to live in a world where i could:

- Highlight the fact that I had serious family issues driving my teenage anger
- Did no real harm to this person
- Have made up with them, and moved on and advanced a range of charitable causes

Unfortunately the real world is not so sympathetic. I'm just being a realist. If I want to help people(which i genuinely do), I may have to hide some skeletons. Its pretty standard machiavellianism. I'm sure real politicians have done far worse.

Ultimately, this person could gain their own profit and fame from making accusations on me. I assume that would benefit their life far more than making up with me. again, im just being pragmatic.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest