Tony Blair wants to stop Brexit

Watch
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Tony Blair has called for the British people to "rise up" against Brexit.

The ex PM has stated it is his "mission" to persuade the public to try and prevent Brexit as they were "without knowledge of the true terms of Brexit".

Lib Dem's Nick Clegg has said he agrees with every word, but Nigel Farage has called Blair "yesterday's man" and Ian Duncan Smith has called the comment arrogant.

Read more on the story here

Should Tony Blair be getting involved? Do you respect his opinion as an ex Prime Minister? Do you trust him?
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Speaking as a Labour member, I don't trust Tony Blair - of all people! No thanks. I wish he'd keep his nose out, considering how fantastically(!) he did as PM.

As much as I dislike the decision, the referendum is done. The people voted for the country to leave the EU, so that's what we're going to have to do. There is absolutely zero point to 'rising up' or taking on a 'mission' to prevent Brexit. It's done, we're leaving the EU and that's final — there would be uproar if the referendum (advisory in nature or not) was overturned. It simply wouldn't happen.

I maintain that this country would be far better off in the EU, but the majority of those that voted in the referendum don't agree with me - and that's democracy. Those 'rebelling' really do need to get over it, unfortunately. There's nothing we can do now except see what happens.

</rant>
SinsNotTragedies
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If anyone can do it it's Tony Blair, a well-respected and loved figure
STEMisSuperior.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
but muh democracy

A referendum has no legal bearing and frankly I think going against the will of some uneducated plebs isn't a bad thing. We should strive to do what is rational and best for this country and brexit goes against that.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How would people react if Leave had lost and they were campaigning for this?
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can someone please install a mute button on Tony Blair?
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is happening you can't stop it, just let it happen and hope it goes well for everyone
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
If anyone can do it it's Tony Blair, a well-respected and loved figure
:lol:

How long will it be before he says we should all just "move on". "It's time to move on. Hi. I'm Tony."
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
Tony Blair has called for the British people to "rise up" against Brexit.

The ex PM has stated it is his "mission" to persuade the public to try and prevent Brexit as they were "without knowledge of the true terms of Brexit".

Lib Dem's Nick Clegg has said he agrees with every word, but Nigel Farage has called Blair "yesterday's man" and Ian Duncan Smith has called the comment arrogant.

Read more on the story here

Should Tony Blair be getting involved? Do you respect his opinion as an ex Prime Minister? Do you trust him?
He had his chance to campaign before the referendum.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
He had his chance to campaign before the referendum.
The referendum was a farce, there was no serious attempt to inform the British public of the real consequences of departure and there was a huge and completely distorted media focus on the insanely distorted ramblings of certain political 'figures' like Johnson, Gove and Farage. Those three told repeated huge lies, as did the Brexit campaign generally, which were not confronted by the media. People did not in many cases actually vote on the issue but as a protest against the government. The referendum did not ask the correct questions and was out of kilter with our constitutional history.
goat_boy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is it time to call Blair mentally ill?
astutehirstute
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
but muh democracy

A referendum has no legal bearing and frankly I think going against the will of some uneducated plebs isn't a bad thing. We should strive to do what is rational and best for this country and brexit goes against that.
And there we have it.

The Remain case in a nutshell. If the referendum goes our way it is final and binding. If it doesn't we ignore it because the seventeen million and are a half people who voted to leave are uneducated plebs.

Democracy muh indeed.

:rolleyes:
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I agreed with pretty much everything he said. :indiff:
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
The referendum was a farce, there was no serious attempt to inform the British public of the real consequences of departure and there was a huge and completely distorted media focus on the insanely distorted ramblings of certain political 'figures' like Johnson, Gove and Farage. Those three told repeated huge lies, as did the Brexit campaign generally, which were not confronted by the media. People did not in many cases actually vote on the issue but as a protest against the government. The referendum did not ask the correct questions and was out of kilter with our constitutional history.
Of course, had the result been the other way the referendum would no doubt have been a triumph of democracy...
astutehirstute
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You are an intelligent person, and your heart seems to be in the right place. So it mystifies me how you can be SO clueless on this subject. So totally removed from the public mood, so out of touch.

The country has moved on now, it is time you moved with it.
astutehirstute
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
I agreed with pretty much everything he said. :indiff:
What part of democracy don't you like?
jape
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tony Blair couldn't stop himself being politically murdered by Tom Watson, of all people. I'm not going to lose any sleep on behalf of Nigel Farage.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The referendum was a farce, there was no serious attempt to inform the British public of the real consequences of departure and there was a huge and completely distorted media focus on the insanely distorted ramblings of certain political 'figures' like Johnson, Gove and Farage.
As opposed to most election campaigns, which largely consist of sober exchanges of factual information and hard-headed, neutral analysis on all sides.

There are reasonable arguments against referenda but I'm afraid 'people didn't vote with enough information or for the right reasons' proves too much, assuming you don't want to hold every election result ever to be invalid.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by astutehirstute)
What part of democracy don't you like?
The bourgeoisie part of it

The bit where the plebs get conned into creating a tax haven of their home.

Which part of democracy do you not like when you deny them 350million a week for the NHS? Like Blair said, that didn't last the weekend post referendum. The Benninite part of brexit we were promised isn't happening is it?
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My heart bleeds for him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (139)
29.83%
No (327)
70.17%

Watched Threads