_jesstsr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am considering taking up and EPQ to continue into my second year of sixth form, and was considering basing it on genetic engineering as I have heard it has to be relevant to your university course. Could you give me some more in depth knowledge into what the EPQ is based around? I am unsure of how to present the EPQ/the requirements are/ what you actually need to do? I have just been recommended to take up the opportunity as it is useful to get into university. I think I am going to do a Biology degree.
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by _jesstsr)
I am considering taking up and EPQ to continue into my second year of sixth form, and was considering basing it on genetic engineering as I have heard it has to be relevant to your university course. Could you give me some more in depth knowledge into what the EPQ is based around? I am unsure of how to present the EPQ/the requirements are/ what you actually need to do? I have just been recommended to take up the opportunity as it is useful to get into university. I think I am going to do a Biology degree.
Hi _jesstsr,

I did an EPQ with AQA, and with AQA, there are 2 formats you can pick from for your project:

1 - a 5000 word essay, or
2 - an artefact (e.g. a sculpture, piece of music, short video etc) and a 1000 word report

In addition to the essay or artefact plus you report, you also do:
  • A log book - this is a document in which you write about your project, e.g. what you've done so far, what you plan to do next, what has gone well/badly and any comments your supervisor has given you. There are templates with instructions available online, so it's not something you have to create from scratch.
  • A 10-15 minute oral presentation - this is about your project, e.g. what your topic was, what you researched and found out, why you decided to do the EPQ, any skills you gained from it, setbacks you encountered etc.

The project is largely independent, as you complete the research, essay/report, log book and presentation yourself. However, you also need to meet with your supervisor throughout your project to gain feedback (to put into the log book) and to ask for help if you need it.

Generally the topic you choose is related to the degree you want to do afterwards, and/or is something which interests you. Topics which contain an element of debate or argument (i.e. where you can research and write up arguments for and against a topic to answer your overall question) are usually the best, as essays which are purely or mostly descriptive don't tend to gain very high marks.

The mark scheme for AQA EPQs can be found here. Each exam board will be slightly different in terms of work required and marking criteria, but hopefully this will give you a general idea of what's assessed.

I hope that helps
_jesstsr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Hi _jesstsr,

I did an EPQ with AQA, and with AQA, there are 2 formats you can pick from for your project:

1 - a 5000 word essay, or
2 - an artefact (e.g. a sculpture, piece of music, short video etc) and a 1000 word report

In addition to the essay or artefact plus you report, you also do:
  • A log book - this is a document in which you write about your project, e.g. what you've done so far, what you plan to do next, what has gone well/badly and any comments your supervisor has given you. There are templates with instructions available online, so it's not something you have to create from scratch.
  • A 10-15 minute oral presentation - this is about your project, e.g. what your topic was, what you researched and found out, why you decided to do the EPQ, any skills you gained from it, setbacks you encountered etc.

The project is largely independent, as you complete the research, essay/report, log book and presentation yourself. However, you also need to meet with your supervisor throughout your project to gain feedback (to put into the log book) and to ask for help if you need it.

Generally the topic you choose is related to the degree you want to do afterwards, and/or is something which interests you. Topics which contain an element of debate or argument (i.e. where you can research and write up arguments for and against a topic to answer your overall question) are usually the best, as essays which are purely or mostly descriptive don't tend to gain very high marks.

The mark scheme for AQA EPQs can be found here. Each exam board will be slightly different in terms of work required and marking criteria, but hopefully this will give you a general idea of what's assessed.

I hope that helps

Thank you! This helps a lot. I was thinking something to do with gene therapy, stem cells and possibly the idea of designer babies as it's quite a controversial subject. Is it an equivalent of an AS level or half an A level?
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you! This helps a lot. I was thinking something to do with gene therapy, stem cells and possibly the idea of designer babies as it's quite a controversial subject. Is it an equivalent of an AS level or half an A level?
You're welcome! The Extended Project is equivalent to an AS Level (i.e. half an A Level), however unlike AS Levels, you are able to gain an A* in an EPQ
Grespino
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
as I have heard it has to be relevant to your university course.
I'm studying for my EPQ now, it doesn't need to be relevant to your uni course. Most of the time it just is as most people do an EPQ on something they are interested in which so happens to quite often their uni course which their applying for.
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Doesn't have to be relevant to your uni course, I'm doing civil engineering but my EPQ was under astrobiology.
Grespino
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Vikingninja)
Doesn't have to be relevant to your uni course, I'm doing civil engineering but my EPQ was under astrobiology.

astro biology... hmm that sounds like quite a ... strange field,

whats it about seems very interesting
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Grespino)
astro biology... hmm that sounds like quite a ... strange field,

whats it about seems very interesting
My title was "Will we ever be able to colonise planets outside of our Solar System?".

It was the largest in my college at 8500 words.
Grespino
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Vikingninja)
My title was "Will we ever be able to colonise planets outside of our Solar System?".

It was the largest in my college at 8500 words.
holy moly, you should probs put it on GitHub? or something like that you might get some credit for it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads