Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    I see your point. China fu*ks up Tibet and America does nothing.
    yeah perfect illistration
    chinese action in tibet = immoral
    the USA has no interests in tibet = no action
    china powerful = no action

(Original post by Incomplete)
    yeah perfect illistration
    chinese action in tibet = immoral
    the USA has no interests in tibet = no action
    china powerful = no action
    No oil? No war!

ReputationRep:
    How far should America be allowed to meddle in other countries affairs, surely if Iran wants to develop a nuclear program they have a right to do so?

ReputationRep:
    How far should America be allowed to meddle in other countries affairs, surely if Iran wants to develop a nuclear program they have a right to do so?
    I seem to be the only one here who wants to discuss who gives the "right" for a country to do something. Do you agree with what i have written then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    It's irrelevant what country it is. The fact that you're even asking whether America killing another 10, 000 people to steal oil for no reason whatsoever but to satisfy greed, is "justifiable", amazes me, seriously.
    Look at my post above...... (i am not "pro-war")

I was asking the question because prior to the Iraq war i met many Iraqis who wanted America to step in and remove Sadam. I feel that people who have grown up in Iran (have family living there) will have a better understanding of its innerworkings and so will be more intimate with the subject than most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Isn't that a stupid question?

It's even less justified than the Iraq war, which is quite an impressive feat.
    I don't think so. The Iraq war was totally unjustified. But I believe there is a lot of evidence that Iran are seeking to own nuclear weapons and they already have part of the technology needed to build nuclear warheads. Also, they have the missiles to carry them. That is enough evidence. No need for Blair and Bush to make anything up.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be the only one here who wants to discuss who gives the "right" for a country to do something. Do you agree with what i have written then?
    Yes. I do not see why a countires size and power should dictate world events, America constantly berates countries such as Iran, invades Iraq and then lets massacares in Africa go unnoticed, it seems hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    If i could add a comment here, is it possible to avoid iraq, this is a very good thread so far about an situation in international affairs that is going to be key. Iraq is discussed on a large number of threads in this forum as people know the most about it, if you would like to discuss it I would personally recommend that you discuss it on one of them or make a new threads. I am sorry if this sounds stuck up but I have seen alot of threads on other stuff eg US presidents transformed to threads on iraq

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I do not see why a countires size and power should dictate world events, America constantly berates countries such as Iran, invades Iraq and then lets massacares in Africa go unnoticed, it seems hypocritical.
    they do it because its possible and its what the dominant power in the world except maybe in the 20's and 30's this century has always done.

ReputationRep:
    If a sovereign nation can claim a right to produce nuclear weapons, then surely other nations can claim their right to self-defence if they have a good reason to feel threatened by the country acquiring those weapons, or rather, the technology to build them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    If a sovereign nation can claim a right to produce nuclear weapons, then surely other nations can claim their right to self-defence if they have a good reason to feel threatened by the country acquiring those weapons, or rather, the technology to build them.
    the problem with this is that you havent defined what "good reason" means. To the US it may be a nation it considers to be a rogue one, to others it maybe the country having to be a neighbour. Its completely subjective.

ReputationRep:
    the problem with this is that you havent defined what "good reason" means. To the US it may be a nation it considers to be a rogue one, to others it maybe the country having to be a neighbour. Its completely subjective.
    Good reason, for me, is the nature of that country's goverment and its aims, it past deeds and what you can anticipate from them once they own these weapons.

ReputationRep:
    they do it because its possible and its what the dominant power in the world except maybe in the 20's and 30's this century has always done.
    Its very strange, Iran are not the deadliest threat on the planet, but what is the real reason behind Americas distaste for it? Oil? Nuclear weapons? im not either of these is the answer, does anybody know how much oil there is in Iran?

ReputationRep:
    Its very strange, Iran are not the deadliest threat on the planet, but what is the real reason behind Americas distaste for it? Oil? Nuclear weapons? im not either of these is the answer, does anybody know how much oil there is in Iran?
    First off, Iran is ruled by a bunch of fanatic muslims. To give you an idea, if women there wear their veils a little to high, or their veils are considered too short, they go to prison for two weeks. Needless to say, the judiciary is controlled by the clergy and you cannot appeal that decision. Do you want a government like that to acquire the deadliest weapon there is? I don't think oil is a factor in this. They've got the oil in Iraq now, the second largest oil reserve in the world. So what? Terrorists sabotage the pipelines, hardly any company will want to risk it's employees to go there and extract it.

If Iran does acquire nuclear weapons, then they will be one of the most dangerous nations on earth, along with North Korea.

ReputationRep:
    Good reason, for me, is the nature of that country's goverment and its aims, it past deeds and what you can anticipate from them once they own these weapons.
    But as i said before, these events are subjective so you cannot claim a right from them. If you have an event and there are two equally valid ways of interpreting the situation, you cannot have a right.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want a government like that to acquire the deadliest weapon there is? I
    If Iran does acquire nuclear weapons, then they will be one of the most dangerous nations on earth, along with North Korea.
    I do not believe that Iran would use the nukes themselves, this would be suicide. Maybe Americas fear stems from Iran possessing nukes and selling them to the highest bidder........

ReputationRep:
    But as i said before, these events are subjective so you cannot claim a right from them. If you have an event and there are two equally valid ways of interpreting the situation, you cannot have a right.
    Of course there are always two views. But in this case, you can't afford to be incertain. In order to protect us, our nations must make sure that Iran doesn't get any nuclear weapons, in my opinion. I am not in favour of a war with Iran. But if there is no other way to disarm them, it will have to take place. We cannot allow it, for our own security. Damn the oil. If they get those weapons, we'll have lost the race against time and we will not be able to take military action against them anymore. The same goes for any other nation that is ruled by a dictatorship-like government and seeks to acquire nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    The same goes for any other nation that is ruled by a dictatorship-like government and seeks to acquire nuclear weapons.
    China has many nukes.......

ReputationRep:
    China has many nukes.......
    Ok true, but like the Soviet Union they are a stable state and can be deemed rational to a great extent. I don't think the same about North Korea and Iran.

ReputationRep:
    Of course there are always two views. But in this case, you can't afford to be incertain. In order to protect us, our nations must make sure that Iran doesn't get any nuclear weapons, in my opinion. I am not in favour of a war with Iran. But if there is no other way to disarm them, it will have to take place. We cannot allow it, for our own security. Damn the oil. If they get those weapons, we'll have lost the race against time and we will not be able to take military action against them anymore. The same goes for any other nation that is ruled by a dictatorship-like government and seeks to acquire nuclear weapons.
    That is certainly a very good summary for reasoning to go there. The only problem that I have with action in Iran is that at the moment the whole of middle east is very instable and very sensitve to political change with particulary with US action in that country and I am trying to avoid mentioning. Hence inconcieved action could generate a new generation of jihad fighters who feel the west is just interfering to for personnal gain.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.