The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
NDGAARONDI
Yes they do.

So it is very much any country that is friends with America is allowed nuclear bombs. It just doesn't seem right that America should be allowed to dictate who has and doesn't have nuclear wepons.
randdom
So it is very much any country that is friends with America is allowed nuclear bombs. It just doesn't seem right that America should be allowed to dictate who has and doesn't have nuclear wepons.

Yea...we should just let EVERYONE have nuclear weapons....uranium for all!

*rolls eyes* There are some people (terrorists) who want nothing more than to kill (us). If you let any old country acquire and create the weapons these people (terrorists) will have stockpiles of nuclear weapons in which they can attack us with (crippling our economy, destroying our way of life, and pretty much killing everyone you hold dear)

The US is the world superpower and it dictates who should and should not have nuclear weapons because it is in their best interest.

In some idealogical world, everyone would drop their guns, diffuse their nukes, and start singing. But the world is not all friggin kittens and gumdrops. We live in the real world...and in the real world there are WMDs and the only way to ensure that our enemies do not use them, is the threat that we will use them right back.
Reply 102
randdom

When shall people get this. Israel, Pakistan and India are allowed to have Nuclear Weapons programmes because they have not signed the non proliferation treaty of nuclear weapons. North Korea, Iraq and Iran HAS signed this agreement and abused the rights they have gained under it to import nuclear technology and used it in WMD programmes. THIS is what it is all about. Had India , Pakistan and Israel signed the NPA then they would have gotn just as much shit as Iran and North Korea for having WMD programmes, but they have not. Israel, India and Pakistan has not signed this agreement because they are all in situations were they know they cannot afford to make such an agreement. They therefore do not sign it, and hence do not violate any international laws. Iran, however, deliberately broke the agreement and abused the rights it gained under it.
Reply 103
Jonatan
When shall people get this. Israel, Pakistan and India are allowed to have Nuclear Weapons programmes because they have not signed the non proliferation treaty of nuclear weapons. North Korea, Iraq and Iran HAS signed this agreement and abused the rights they have gained under it to import nuclear technology and used it in WMD programmes. THIS is what it is all about. Had India , Pakistan and Israel signed the NPA then they would have gotn just as much shit as Iran and North Korea for having WMD programmes, but they have not. Israel, India and Pakistan has not signed this agreement because they are all in situations were they know they cannot afford to make such an agreement. They therefore do not sign it, and hence do not violate any international laws. Iran, however, deliberately broke the agreement and abused the rights it gained under it.

Can I ask which government of Iran signed it. Weather it was the current one or a completely different one and when this treaty was signed.
Reply 104
randdom
Can I ask which government of Iran signed it. Weather it was the current one or a completely different one and when this treaty was signed.

I dont know, but it doesnt matter as the current government has not declared that they were to leave it. They abused its rights in order to violate it knowingly, and that is a serious violation no matter how you twist and turn it. Similarily North Korea declared they were to leave the agreement only AFTER they had abused its rights in order to build a WMD program. That is also a violation, and saying you want to drop the agreement afterwards does not mean the violation was never commited.
Reply 105
Jonatan
I dont know, but it doesnt matter as the current government has not declared that they were to leave it. They abused its rights in order to violate it knowingly, and that is a serious violation no matter how you twist and turn it...

All I am saying is that it seems wronge that the current government should be held to a treaty that they didn't want. I don't really think that it is the buissness of the international community to dictate what other countries do when they are not posing an imediate threat.
Reply 106
randdom
My only point to do with disarmenment was that if America have such a problem with nuclear wepons then they would call for mutual disarmenment or atleast a reduction in the number.

Obviously you have completely missed the fact that Russia and the US have both destructed several thousands of nuclear warheads during the years and greatly reduced its stock of nuclear weapons. That the US develops new ones is not because they increase the numbers of them, but because they want to incorporate present day technology into their defense and deterrant. On average the US is currently reducing its stock of nuclear weapons, criticism is due to the fact that they are developing new types to replace some of the older and outdated ones.
Reply 107
randdom
All I am saying is that it seems wronge that the current government should be held to a treaty that they didn't want. I don't really think that it is the buissness of the international community to dictate what other countries do when they are not posing an imediate threat.

So, let me be clear about this. Are you saying that if a country signs a treaty they should be free to rid themselves of their obligations under that treaty as soon as a new government takes office?

Or, do I misunderstand you?
Reply 108
Jonatan
Obviously you have completely missed the fact that Russia and the US have both destructed several thousands of nuclear warheads during the years and greatly reduced its stock of nuclear weapons. That the US develops new ones is not because they increase the numbers of them, but because they want to incorporate present day technology into their defense and deterrant. On average the US is currently reducing its stock of nuclear weapons, criticism is due to the fact that they are developing new types to replace some of the older and outdated ones.

That's right. They need fewer but more powerful ones.
Reply 109
randdom

You dont think that a council of theocratic fundamentalists supporting terrorism sitting on a bunch of nuclear warheads is not an imediate threat? Btw, if Iran is not to be held accountable to these laws, then why are you critical towards the US? Surely if it is ok for Iran to keep nuclear weapons in order to scare the americans, then it should be perfectly ok for the US to respond by heavily sanctioning trade with Iran? You talk about double standards, yet you have more problems with teh fact that the US try to prevent Iran from developing nukes, than the fact that Iran is developing nukes.
Reply 110
Howard
So, let me be clear about this. Are you saying that if a country signs a treaty they should be free to rid themselves of their obligations under that treaty as soon as a new government takes office?

Or, do I misunderstand you?

I think he means it only applies if the new government comes to power through a bloodshed of a revolution where all opposition is crushed with an iron fist.
Reply 111
yawn1
It wouldn't take more than a dozen nuclear missiles to destroy this world!

Hmm really? Where did you pull that stat from? It is a great myth that using nuclear weapons will destroy the world. The fact is, it won't, sure it will destroy large swathes of land, but the earth is a big place.
Reply 112
AntiMagicMan
Hmm really? Where did you pull that stat from? It is a great myth that using nuclear weapons will destroy the world. The fact is, it won't, sure it will destroy large swathes of land, but the earth is a big place.

depends what you mean with destroy. A few dozen 50 megaton hydrogen bombs could extinguish most life on the surface, but physically destroying the planet would require an ammount of energy equivalent to what the entire sun produce during 3 days. Now, that is not peanut ammounts of energy. It would correspond to having an arsenal of nukes with a collected weight close to that of Jupiter.
Reply 113
Jonatan
depends what you mean with destroy. A few dozen 50 megaton hydrogen bombs could extinguish most life on the surface, but physically destroying the planet would require an ammount of energy equivalent to what the entire sun produce during 3 days. Now, that is not peanut ammounts of energy. It would correspond to having an arsenal of nukes with a collected weight close to that of Jupiter.

I'll ask you the same question. Where did you pull those figures from? How many nuclear weapons do you think have ever been detonated on this planet? 2? 3? The answer is closer to thousands. Yet we are all still happily sitting here debating this subject.

And also what do you think is the average destructive capability of a nuclear weapon these days? 50 Megatons? 100 Megatons? The answer is nearer to about 10-20 kilotons. With maybe the very biggest being somewhere near half a megaton.

The simple fact is that there is a lot of FUD out there about nuclear weapons. They are really just larger versions of conventional weapons with some radiation effects as well. It would be literally impossible to eliminate life with nuclear weapons simply because the entire surface of the planet is covered with life. And no military commander is going to waste his time nuking desserts and rainforests, they may make a concerted effort to target large cities and military installations, but that is not going to cover the entire planet.
Reply 114
AntiMagicMan
I'll ask you the same question. Where did you pull those figures from? How many nuclear weapons do you think have ever been detonated on this planet? 2? 3? The answer is closer to thousands. Yet we are all still happily sitting here debating this subject.

And also what do you think is the average destructive capability of a nuclear weapon these days? 50 Megatons? 100 Megatons? The answer is nearer to about 10-20 kilotons. With maybe the very biggest being somewhere near half a megaton.

The simple fact is that there is a lot of FUD out there about nuclear weapons. They are really just larger versions of conventional weapons with some radiation effects as well. It would be literally impossible to eliminate life with nuclear weapons simply because the entire surface of the planet is covered with life. And no military commander is going to waste his time nuking desserts and rainforests, they may make a concerted effort to target large cities and military installations, but that is not going to cover the entire planet.

You know if you speak in a cellphone for one and a half hour the ammount of radiation passing through your head corresponds to putting your head in the microwave for 10 seconds. Does this mean its the same thing? Hardly. Just as there is a different between giving someone 500 slight pufs, and socking them for all your worth straight in the face, detonating one nuclear weapon at a time is far different from fiering an arsenal of 10 000 in a nuclear war. The US and Sovjet sit on enough nukes to completely destroy the prospects for human life several times over.
Reply 115
Jonatan
You know if you speak in a cellphone for one and a half hour the ammount of radiation passing through your head corresponds to putting your head in the microwave for 10 seconds. Does this mean its the same thing? Hardly. Just as there is a different between giving someone 500 slight pufs, and socking them for all your worth straight in the face, detonating one nuclear weapon at a time is far different from fiering an arsenal of 10 000 in a nuclear war. The US and Sovjet sit on enough nukes to completely destroy the prospects for human life several times over.

I still maintain that not all human life will be destroyed in a mass global nuclear war. Sure if you told everyone to go and stand in neat circular areas around preset "death zones" then you might be able to destroy all life. But otherwise life will go on.
This is all amusing. The simple fact (that's been stated many a time here) is that, regardless of their moral righteousness, the United States is THE global superpower. As a result they will do what is necessary to propagate and maintain their political beliefs as well as ensuring their own security and dominance. That doesn't mean it's right or wrong (regardless of the argument), it's simply a fact we have no choice but to live with (unless someone intends to challenge that).

For those that wish American dominance would end, don't fear, no empire has ever lasted forever :biggrin:, time is incredible.
LifeWired
For those that wish American dominance would end, don't fear, no empire has ever lasted forever :biggrin:, time is incredible.

Yes that is true. Many people overlook this. I bet in the times when Britain was the superpower people were asking will it ever end!

No idea who has remained the largest superpower thus far though.
Thing is, will USA lose its superpower status in our lifetime? I'm not sure myself.
NDGAARONDI
Yes that is true. Many people overlook this. I bet in the times when Britain was the superpower people were asking will it ever end!

No idea who has remained the largest superpower thus far though.
Thing is, will USA lose its superpower status in our lifetime? I'm not sure myself.

That is a point, I must admit that the USA is a very stable superpower all considered, that is one of the advantages of democracy. Although some might consider China a threat, I doubt that to be the case since there are economic factors to take into consideration and there has been much progress politically (internally and externally).

It's quite interesting you raise the issue of the British Empire, I'm reading a book on the rise and fall of the british empire which is particularly interesting. It did span many centuries and it's evident to this day. Since we're all apparently such an objective bunch (no sarcasm...) I'm sure we'll be comfortable for the forseeable future :rolleyes:
vienna95
of course. for the reasons laid out in the preceeding posts.

we cant trust anyone, but the US is the lesser of our evils and we trust them more than we can trust Iran. its realpolitik.

thats an amiable view, but one evil leaders will not hold. for our safety we have to prevent the use of Nuclear weapons by holding more of them. you dont see the use of nuclear weapons because no-one is willing to use them while the US continues to produce them. Europe doesnt have any because we know the US feel obliged to protect us. that is a far more scandalous position.

Oh please! Well apart from your views in preceeding posts being utterly biased towards the US administration, you have no substantiation. But hey that is fine in this case, because we all have our views on this.

U.S.A (Although a great country) is a greater evil if not the greatest. It makes one wonder why so many hate the american admin? Why only the Us admin? Many countries in the West can boast democracies and freedom (Sweden, Denmark, Germany etc). And US is not one of them. Freedom of speech is limited to speaking what s widely accepted. Pretty much refutes the purpose of freedom of speech

Its also biased to suggest that we should take the word of an administration who had no problems dragging us all to war just because they did not agree with the U.N or the other member countries on this matter. I am sure the victims of Vietnam war, The afgan war and the Iraqi war would fail to agree with you.

U.S. has never done anything without selfish motives. It did not care about Saddam's terror regime. It cared about oil and revenge for 9/11. If they cared about sadaam they had more than 3 decades to get rid of him. Same applies to afgans under Talibaan regime. They put Talibaan in power and decided to take them out. It had nothing to do with female oppression in Afganistan. Vietnam war, oh yes depsite knowing long in advance they could not win the war they kept sending young americans to war and eventually suffering the same result - defeat.

U.S has more blood on its hands than anybody else.

When I say U.S, I mean only and totally the American administration. The American constitution has gone out the window. How democratic. That was the foundation. Trustworthy? Hardly. Trust is earned and they have not earned that or made an attempt to do so. Tyranny however they excel at. Do as we do or get killed. Agree at gun point. How amicable and democratic indeed.

Latest

Trending

Trending