Unpopular opinion; I do think Ed Sheeran is overrated Watch

AnxiousAtypical
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This may sound like an unpopular opinion and I'm aware this may offend people even though I don't if someone is offended but I do find Ed Sheehan to be overrated and overhyped. He's just like any other pop artist you'd find it the charts e.g. One Direction, Jessie J, Rita Ora, Katie Perry, Bruno Mars etc. I'm personally more into rock/metal/jazz/indie music and old school music from the 60s-90s but each of their own.
Jackieox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I quite like Ed Sheeran...and i think he's a bit different because he actually writes his own songs
queenofswords
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Talented? Yeah definitely, probably more than other pop artists. But nothing unique about his sound or lyrics.
jape
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He is overrated. That said, he's still not bad as far as pop music goes. Definitely first rate Top 40 material. But there's none of the boundary-pushing sounds you get with a Danny Brown or a Death Grips or even an Everything Everything. He makes enjoyable but unspecial pop tunes. Nothing wrong with that.
Amusing Elk
  • TSR Group Staff
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I kind of agree. While I think a few of his songs are well-written musically, more often than not the lyrics are dreadful.

A lot of people praise him because he writes his own songs (often completely on his own from what I've heard) but this should really be the standard for popstars at his level of success. The fact that being a songwriter is what separates him from other singers ("performers") at his level of fame is a pretty sad state of affairs.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All of that stuff is made with shifting as many units as possible being the most important thing. Accept this for what it is. I enjoy a lot of it but I understand what it's about.

A ten minute funk record isn't going to appeal to as many people as a three minute track with prominent choruses and catchy rhythms. So they make the three minute track.
Praefectus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Literally who?
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by queenofswords)
Talented? Yeah definitely, probably more than other pop artists. But nothing unique about his sound or lyrics.
(Original post by Amusing Elk)
I kind of agree. While I think a few of his songs are well-written musically, more often than not the lyrics are dreadful.
:ditto:
Glib
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He's a gift compared to most sh** being flow around today : -(
prazzyjazzy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great music (instrumentals) but I just can't sing along because the lyrics.

Spoiler:
Show

Also, Bruno Mars has some great stuff but its not as hyped up as his more popular releases. "Press Your Number" is such a bop, and both versions of the song are just yaas. Such an amazing collab with Taemin urgh mah haat mah soul

AnxiousAtypical
Rep:
?
Majority his fan base are people who keep up with the modern pop music on the weekly. Fair enough he writes his own songs, so does James Bay but I really like James Bay.
erwrwdssw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i k r what a gay
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jackieox)
I quite like Ed Sheeran...and i think he's a bit different because he actually writes his own songs
I agree.
username2571271
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really don't like him :hide: His songs are way overhyped and I don't really rate any of them (apart from You Need Me, I Don't Need You - thats the only decent one)

Basically like Adele, I get that they're talented but their music does nothing for me.......
kurt.2s
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He's definitely one of the better pop artists. But just because he doesnt do anything left field or special doesnt mean hes bad. He's talented and in some ways unique whilst still maintaining a mass appeal.
weird nerd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by prazzyjazzy)
Great music (instrumentals) but I just can't sing along because the lyrics.

Spoiler:
Show

Also, Bruno Mars has some great stuff but its not as hyped up as his more popular releases. "Press Your Number" is such a bop, and both versions of the song are just yaas. Such an amazing collab with Taemin urgh mah haat mah soul

OMG a shinee stan!!? I love the chorus in drip drop
prazzyjazzy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by k_popper)

OMG a shinee stan!!? I love the chorus in drip drop
DRIP...DROP...DRIP DROP...ON ME OOOOOOOHHH BABEHHH
YISS MY JAMMM.

Danger and Press Your Number are the kind of songs you can play on repeat and never get bored of. AND HIS DANCING HAS ZERO CHILL. Sexuality is my guilty pleasure

Such kings urgh
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Literally the most mediocre white man in existence
AnxiousAtypical
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Literally the most mediocre white man in existence
I think if he's wasn't ginger, he probably wouldn't be big as he is now.
lizzyc501
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jamierobinson94)
This may sound like an unpopular opinion and I'm aware this may offend people even though I don't if someone is offended but I do find Ed Sheehan to be overrated and overhyped. He's just like any other pop artist you'd find it the charts e.g. One Direction, Jessie J, Rita Ora, Katie Perry, Bruno Mars etc. I'm personally more into rock/metal/jazz/indie music and old school music from the 60s-90s but each of their own.
I think Ed Sheeran's overrated though statistically a musician in the same genre like John Mayer is still deservedly doing much better even though he might not get as much airplay nowadays. I don't think Jessie J's overrated, I can get through an entire album without getting bored, she hasn't been releasing very consistently and is a good live singer. Bruno Mars perhaps but Unorthodox Jukebox was pretty good. 1D and Rita Ora obviously overrated af, though you have to consider their popularity isn't so much based on their vocal abilities than their looks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.21%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.72%
No, but I want to start (171)
35.77%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.43%
No, I chose not to (138)
28.87%