The Student Room Group

Failed my driving test AGAIN!!! How many attempts did you take to pass?

Hey

So, I am getting totally fed up of these driving tests, I have now failed 3 times!

1st time, I was all in a panic so decided to stop before the end of the test.
2nd time, I failed for lane discipline, because I cut a corner (oops)
3rd time, I failed for touching the curb whilst reversing around a corner. (But whether or not the examiner should have been asking me to do that maneuver in the road he did is very, very questionable!!!)

I am getting fed up, having to pay out daft money for tests and lessons, only to keep on failing for silly reasons.
I'm yet to pull out on anyone, or run a light, or even get minors for poor observation/signalling or the like, it's all just daft little things. SO frustrating!

My instructor is also getting fed up of my failing it seems, because he just can't work out what is going wrong when the test comes, and why I haven't passed already.

At the moment, I am so close to just giving up and calling it a day, I'm honestly not used to failing anything, and driving would make family life a million times easier, but at this rate I feel like it might never happen! I need some motivation again, because I cannot face going through it all again.

So... just wondering how many attempts it took you guys to pass, and any driving stories you might like to share?

Cheers! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by PippaStu
Hey

So, I am getting totally fed up of these driving tests, I have now failed 3 times!

3rd time, I failed for touching the curb whilst reversing around a corner. (But whether or not the examiner should have been asking me to do that maneuver in the road he did is very, very questionable!!!)

I am getting fed up, having to pay out daft money for tests and lessons, only to keep on failing for silly reasons.
I'm yet to pull out on anyone, or run a light, or even get minors for poor observation/signalling or the like, it's all just daft little things. SO frustrating!

My instructor is also getting fed up of my failing it seems, because he just can't work out what is going wrong when the test comes, and why I haven't passed already.

At the moment, I am so close to just giving up and calling it a day, I'm honestly not used to failing anything, and driving would make family life a million times easier, but at this rate I feel like it might never happen! I need some motivation again, because I cannot face going through it all again.

So... just wondering how many attempts it took you guys to pass, and any driving stories you might like to share?

Took me once.

But keep going, my older sister is such a good driver, it took her 6 times. And like you her instructor could not work out why she kept failing.

Just keep practising. Even when you are walking about on the streets, think in your head what you would be doing if you were driving instead of walking. (checking left mirror then signalling).
Reply 2
also to me, it seem your problem is lack of concentration and lack of car control (hitting a kurb and cutting lanes). Maybe you are not ready to take your test.
Passed first time but was learning for ages. My examiner on the day was awesome and gave me easy show me tell me questions. He also told me to do reverse around corner for my manoeuvre which was my favourite one and for the independent driving part I was in a part of town with simple roads. My advice would be to be hesitant if in doubt, especially at roundabouts, and take a minor if you have to, but obviously not for the same thing. Lift the clutch up at roundabout at the wrong time will be an instant fail. You don't need to have the perfect pass, obviously it's great if you can get it though
Original post by neal95
Passed first time but was learning for ages. My examiner on the day was awesome and gave me easy show me tell me questions. He also told me to do reverse around corner for my manoeuvre which was my favourite one and for the independent driving part I was in a part of town with simple roads. My advice would be to be hesitant if in doubt, especially at roundabouts, and take a minor if you have to, but obviously not for the same thing. Lift the clutch up at roundabout at the wrong time will be an instant fail. You don't need to have the perfect pass, obviously it's great if you can get it though

As someone who just started learning and only had 3 lessons so far does that mean moving on from the biting point too early with bad timing is an instant fail?:holmes:
Original post by ForestShadow
As someone who just started learning and only had 3 lessons so far does that mean moving on from the biting point too early with bad timing is an instant fail?:holmes:

I reckon it depends on what the examiner thinks. If you lift it up and start lurching forward then the examiner will prevent you from getting in the path of cars with priority, so that would be a fail. If you moved forward a tiny bit and then corrected yourself so you weren't protruding out to much then it could be fine. They don't like to take chances though haha so best to try nail it and judge your distances and just take your time
Reply 6
First time.

However, I wasn't a 'natural' by any means. I prefer automatic cars tbh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by neal95
I reckon it depends on what the examiner thinks. If you lift it up and start lurching forward then the examiner will prevent you from getting in the path of cars with priority, so that would be a fail. If you moved forward a tiny bit and then corrected yourself so you weren't protruding out to much then it could be fine. They don't like to take chances though haha so best to try nail it and judge your distances and just take your time

ah thanks thats very helpful! so I have to ensure I hold my foot on the clutch very still then just at the biting point so I dont accidentally accelerate!
7 :u: not one of my proudest achievements :colondollar:
Reply 9
ah thanks thats very helpful! so I have to ensure I hold my foot on the clutch very still then just at the biting point so I dont accidentally accelerate!

Eventually your feet will get fast so you dont have to mess around like that. You can go from having you foot on the brake and finding the biting point by lifting clutch and pressing the gas instantly
Original post by freedom
Eventually your feet will get fast so you dont have to mess around like that. You can go from having you foot on the brake and finding the biting point by lifting clutch and pressing the gas instantly

ah thats good to know, Ive still only had 3 lessons so far but was doing 55mph in 5th gear in my 2nd lesson already cos the instructor said I was calm and in control, I still have some issues with car position, they say to find a marker like the screen wiper blade bits but the car Im using has a smooth screen blade so not many indicators, I just try to stay generally in the middle I guess.
Hey

If it helps I failed today too, 5th time. :colondollar:
Hey

You touched the curb..that to me shows you didn't have enough awareness of whats happening around you. It might have been quite a tight turn or a tight road but sometimes in the real world you will be in that sort of situation where you have to turn yourself round in quite a small space..
ah thats good to know, Ive still only had 3 lessons so far but was doing 55mph in 5th gear in my 2nd lesson already cos the instructor said I was calm and in control, I still have some issues with car position, they say to find a marker like the screen wiper blade bits but the car Im using has a smooth screen blade so not many indicators, I just try to stay generally in the middle I guess.

Yeah that's good, with regards to the positioning of the car. You will get used to the size of the car so your social awareness gets better.

Everytime I'm in a new car, I'm like you I can't position the car but after a few hours, I get used to it.
Original post by freedom
Yeah that's good, with regards to the positioning of the car. You will get used to the size of the car so your social awareness gets better.

Everytime I'm in a new car, I'm like you I can't position the car but after a few hours, I get used to it.

ah thanks glad Im not the only one, do find a marker in the new car whilst driving or do you just naturally adopt to the new cars size?
when i started driving, i was worried i was gonna hit something as the car size was wierd, you get used to it after some lessons, you know where you can fit and cannot fit. so it just comes natural after a while
Hey

Hey :smile:

It took me 3 attempts to pass my practical :redface:

The 1st attempt I failed because when I performed the turn in the road I kept stalling, and the examiner had to intervene (guess the nerves got to me). I was so gutted because I had done really well otherwise and would've passed if I hadn't have stalled.

The 2nd attempt had a guy sit in on the test observing the examiner, this made me feel SO nervous, and done really bad, when I performed the bay park apparently I didn't do enough observations, which I disagree with even now, stalled when I had to do a hill start, and stalled when I was almost back at the test centre. But that test was just a bad drive from me, I reckon I would've passed had I not have had the examiner who was getting observed.

And the 3rd attempt I passed with 6 minors :smile:, but even at this attempt I just didn't get my hopes up, purely because I feared for failing again, but I think I just didn't think of it as a test, and just pretended the examiner was my instructor :colondollar:!

Maybe (if not already) get your instructor to conduct mock tests with you as it may help? It could be the pressure of your nerves that are causing you to fail? My instructor did a mock test with me a week before my actual test and if I remember correctly I think I got like 5 minors, I think this also boosted my confidence for the test and I wasn't as nervous :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey

I passed 4th time.
I admit on one of my tests (my second) i deserved to fail as i made a lot of mistakes. I think it was just one of those days. But on the other 2 that i failed i failed on a silly mistake that i wouldnt normally make during a lesson.
So i feel your pain. Carry on though, you will get there in the end.
Reply 19
I passed first time after having 11 hours of lessons the last 2 of which were just before I took my test.

Probably lucky.

Keep on truckin' - it will be well worth it when you pass amigo.

Quick Reply

Latest