DeadlineMerchant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi folks,

I've been tackling a problem question regarding conflict of jurisdiction and I'm struggling for info. It concerns a claimant (domiciled in Delaware, US) and two defendants, one domiciled in England Wales and its subsidiary in Texas. The subsidiary had a contract with the claimant but committed a tort which made the claimant unable to carry out the contractual obligations. The parties agreed in their contract that the courts in Illinois (USA) would be competent for any dispute arising out of the contract. The claimant has brought an action in London and I have to argue that the English courts have jurisdiction over the matter. I've tried applying the Brussels Regulation but I only seem to have argued that the courts in the US are competent.

Any ideas or pointers in the right direction?

Cheers.
Mimir
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you been given the Jurisdiction and Governing Laws clauses for the contract? That would be the first point to check.

Where the tort is committed is important. It is different in Tort and Contract (off the top of my head).

Being competent isn't the same as accepting jurisdiction. I'd need to check by CPR for you to be more sure.
DeadlineMerchant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
All we were told was that any dispute arising out of the contract would be settled by the courts in Illinois. However, since the tort is seperate to the contract this doesn't appear to apply at restrict the parties to the use of the Illinois courts. The tort was committed in Illinois, which would appear to indicate that the courts in Illinois would be competent under both the Brussels Regulation Art. 7(2) and common law, but I have to argue for the London courts to be competent. I've suggested that it would be more of a forum conveniens but need more convincing arguments.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads