Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I really wanna do medicine and go to the top uni I'm going to choose biology and chemistry i hate physics and maths but i wanna do history and sociology instead is that okey.

ReputationRep:
    nah mate just do maths , furthermaths, additional maths , biology, chemistry, physics, also complete an EPQ on something related and then also do something like BTEC Childcare because why not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamtheone19)
    I really wanna do medicine and go to the top uni I'm going to choose biology and chemistry i hate physics and maths but i wanna do history and sociology instead is that okey.
    Id recommend doing maths to be honest.
    Id double check on unis websites, but i think quite a few unis like maths for medicine, especially the top ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoahMal)
    nah mate just do maths , furthermaths, additional maths , biology, chemistry, physics, also complete an EPQ on something related and then also do something like BTEC Childcare because why not
    i hate maths and physics i want to go to oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Id recommend doing maths to be honest.
    Id double check on unis websites, but i think quite a few unis like maths for medicine, especially the top ones.
    i don't like maths or physics but i want to go oxford

ReputationRep:
    You really don't need to do maths for Medicine. As long as you do both biology and chemistry to full A-Level, your 3rd and 4th choice can be anything. I'm applying for Medicine for 2017 entry so I've looked at a lot of unis and none of them ask specifically for maths or physics. I'd recommend that you pick the A-Level that you will find genuinely interesting and you think you'll do well in so that you can achieve an A/A* in that subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliethecool)
    You really don't need to do maths for Medicine. As long as you do both biology and chemistry to full A-Level, your 3rd and 4th choice can be anything. I'm applying for Medicine for 2017 entry so I've looked at a lot of unis and none of them ask specifically for maths or physics. I'd recommend that you pick the A-Level that you will find genuinely interesting and you think you'll do well in so that you can achieve an A/A* in that subject.
    i have looked at oxbridge they said they need physics or maths should i just do physics and bio and them and history

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for medicine 2017 entry and I do biology, chemistry and a language. Almost every uni except oxbridge don't care what your 3rd subject is, as long as it's not critical thinking or general studies, and doing german at A-level has somewhat improved my application, as interviewers are really interested why I chose it and not physics or maths (which in my view would have less impact to my medical career than a language) At the end of the day, every uni is going to give you a medical qualification which will allow you to practice, so the uni you go to shouldn't be based on league tables. If you want to go to oxbridge for just the prestige, you might have your priorities wrong for medicine, as plenty other schools have the same teaching type as oxbridge. What would you rather, a place on a medicine course and going to Oxford, but not studying medicine, perhaps biochemistry instead? Also, you might spend 2 years of A-level studying a subject you hate (which is not enjoyable) and end up not even getting an interview for Oxbridge! Is it really worth doing maths or physics if you look at the bigger picture?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    i have looked at oxbridge they said they need physics or maths should i just do physics and bio and them and history
    You don't need maths or physics for medicine at oxford (cambridge is different depending on the college IIRR)
    https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...edicine?wssl=1
    "Please note that we have no preference for whether the third or fourth A-level subject (or further subject in equivalent qualifications) is a science or not."

If you want to go to oxford I'd recommend working on your research skills.

ReputationRep:
    i don't like maths or physics but i want to go oxford
    id double check oxfords website then to see what their requirements are then.

ReputationRep:
    Candidates are required to take Chemistry and a second science (Biology or Physics) and/or Mathematics to Higher Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mouse5dudley)
    I'm applying for medicine 2017 entry and I do biology, chemistry and a language. Almost every uni except oxbridge don't care what your 3rd subject is, as long as it's not critical thinking or general studies, and doing german at A-level has somewhat improved my application, as interviewers are really interested why I chose it and not physics or maths (which in my view would have less impact to my medical career than a language) At the end of the day, every uni is going to give you a medical qualification which will allow you to practice, so the uni you go to shouldn't be based on league tables. If you want to go to oxbridge for just the prestige, you might have your priorities wrong for medicine, as plenty other schools have the same teaching type as oxbridge. What would you rather, a place on a medicine course and going to Oxford, but not studying medicine, perhaps biochemistry instead? Also, you might spend 2 years of A-level studying a subject you hate (which is not enjoyable) and end up not even getting an interview for Oxbridge! Is it really worth doing maths or physics if you look at the bigger picture?
    well i want to go there so i don't know what should i do personally i love bio and them and history and 4th possibly sociology
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Candidates are required to take Chemistry and a second science (Biology or Physics) and/or Mathematics to Higher Level.
    Yes - so if you have Chem and Bio A level you can take what you want for your third and fourth subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Yes - so if you have Chem and Bio A level you can take what you want for your third and fourth subjects.
    what about maths

ReputationRep:
    Like mouse5dudley said, all unis apart from oxbridge don't require maths or physics. I agree with everything mouse5dudley said. Plus, in my opinion (and some would disagree with me), oxbridge's course structure isn't particularly modern or the most effective for learning to become a doctor and not a doctor in clinical research etc. I understand that oxbridge are consistently top of the league tables but there are PLENTY of amazing unis such as Queen Mary's in London that don't require maths or physics.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Plus quoting the subject requirements for IB isn't really appropriate.

"Candidates are required to achieve at least a grade A in both Chemistry and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics." is the A level advice

ReputationRep:
    That would be indeed be OK for every medical school except Cambridge.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    what about maths
    What about it?
    Which part of this statement "Candidates are required to achieve at least a grade A in both Chemistry and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics." and this statement "Please note that we have no preference for whether the third or fourth A-level subject (or further subject in equivalent qualifications) is a science or not" are you struggling to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    That would be indeed be OK for every medical school except Cambridge.
    but i want to go cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't say physics is really that necessary but you need to consider maths. History would be good to pick as a fourth subject but don't do sociology, it's not facilitating and top universities look at it as a weaker option.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.