The Student Room Group

medicine a level options

Scroll to see replies

I want to do astronomy/physics-if you do all three sciences but not maths and just another subject is that a good idea? I love maths but due to the new specification i haven been doing well in exams:frown:
Reply 81
Original post by Misaki24
I want to do astronomy/physics-if you do all three sciences but not maths and just another subject is that a good idea? I love maths but due to the new specification i haven been doing well in exams:frown:

I suggest starting your own thread - this one is about medicine :smile:

However there's a lot of maths in astrophysics.
Original post by jneill
I suggest starting your own thread - this one is about medicine :smile:

However there's a lot of maths in astrophysics.

Okay thank you but before i do i would like to mention im good with the maths in physics and predicted A* so i just thought if it would be like non-science maths if that makes any sense :P but yea
Reply 83
Read this - contains entry requirements for all UK Medical Schools
http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf
does say here for some unis, for example cambridge ( which is a "top uni") says:

"Please note that the success rate for students offering three or more science/mathematics A levels has often been higher than those without."
So yeah, but read about the unis and then you will understand better, hope this helps:smile:
Do biology, chemistry and maths or psychology. Don't do physics, it's a waste of time. I don't even do medicine but it's sorta common sense you know???
Original post by iamtheone19
i hate maths and physics i want to go to oxbridge

unlucky
Medicine is highly competitive. No, 'highly competitive' is a HUGE understatement. When you apply for medicine you will be competing with thousands of other students the majority of whom have the best grades in the country and a lot more than just the best grades but experience and motivation unlike anything you have ever seen.

There is no room to make concessions when applying for medicine. 3 A-levels are not enough to get you into medicine at a top university. The fact that you think you will be in with a chance in medicine with just three subjects in a-level tells me that you are very far from being realistic.

You cannot get into medicine with three A-levels. You need to have at least 4 A-levels and you need to have A*s and A's in your GCSE's as well a great command of the English language, the AT's, great experience, a great personal statement and a great letter of recommendation from your school and these are just the fundamental basic requirements. Everyone else that you are competing with is going to have all those things and more. So to be in with a good chance at getting a place to study medicine at a good university you need more than those fundamental basics. Perhaps consider doing 5 A-levels. Consider doing extracurricular stuff. Aim for 100%s in all your module exams and fill those details in the UCAS application. Let the university know that you scored 100%s in all your modules for all your subjects. If you want to be in with a realistic chance at getting an offer from a top university then you have to consider doing a lot more than what is required from you on paper.

The most important thing are your grades and Biology. Biology is a must. Everything else is a plus. Chemistry used to be a requirement a long time ago. It is not vital but it does play its part in drug therapy as well as biochemistry which are an important part of medicine. Doing it at A-level is a plus. You are already doing maths and maths is important in medicine too. Physics isn't such a big deal but it does play an important part in medicine too, particularly radiology. Again its a plus. You want to make yourself desirable to the university you are applying to. A person who is going to have biology and physics and chemistry as well as mathematics in A-level is going to be a lot more desirable to a university than a person who only has biology and maths....but like i said your grades come first and foremost before everything else.....grades are the most important thing you can have. oh and don't bother applying to the top universities of medicine with three A-levels. You'll be wasting your time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CookieButter
Medicine is highly competitive. No, 'highly competitive' is a HUGE understatement. When you apply for medicine you will be competing with thousands of other students the majority of whom have the best grades in the country and a lot more than just the best grades but experience and motivation unlike anything you have ever seen.

There is no room to make concessions when applying for medicine. 3 A-levels are not enough to get you into medicine at a top university. The fact that you think you will be in with a chance in medicine with just three subjects in a-level tells me that you are very far from being realistic.

You cannot get into medicine with three A-levels. You need to have at least 4 A-levels and you need to have A*s and A's in your GCSE's as well a great command of the English language, great experience, a great personal statement and a great letter of recommendation from your school and these are just the fundamental basic requirements. Everyone else that you are competing with is going to have all those things and more. So to be in with a good chance at getting a place to study medicine at a good university you need more than those fundamental basics. Perhaps consider doing 5 A-levels. Consider doing extracurricular stuff. Aim for 100%s in all your module exams and fill those details in the UCAS application. Let the university know that you scored 100%s in all your modules for all your subjects. If you want to be in with a realistic chance at getting an offer from a top university then you have to consider doing a lot more than what is required from you on paper.

The most important thing are your grades and Biology. Biology is a must. Everything else is a plus. Chemistry used to be a requirement a long time ago. It is not vital but it does play its part in drug therapy as well as biochemistry which are an important part of medicine. Doing it at A-level is a plus. You are already doing maths and maths is important in medicine too. Physics isn't such a big deal but it does play an important part in medicine too, particularly radiology. Again its a plus. You want to make yourself desirable to the university you are applying to. A person who is going to have biology and physics and chemistry as well as mathematics in A-level is going to be a lot more desirable to a university than a person who only has biology and maths....but like i said your grades come first and foremost before everything else.....grades are the most important thing you can have. oh and don't bother applying to the top universities of medicine with three A-levels. You'll be wasting your time.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

"60% of applicants with A levels were doing/had done 3 A levels, 35% were doing 4 A levels and 2% were doing 5 A levels (though not necessarily all being completed in one academic year)."

You cannot get into medicine with three A-levels. You need to have at least 4 A-levels and you need to have A*s and A's in your GCSE's as well a great command of the English language, great experience, a great personal statement and a great letter of recommendation from your school and these are just the fundamental basic requirements. Everyone else that you are competing with is going to have all those things and more. So to be in with a good chance at getting a place to study medicine at a good university you need more than those fundamental basics. Perhaps consider doing 5 A-levels. Consider doing extracurricular stuff. Aim for 100%s in all your module exams and fill those details in the UCAS application. Let the university know that you scored 100%s in all your modules for all your subjects. If you want to be in with a realistic chance at getting an offer from a top university then you have to consider doing a lot more than what is required from you on paper.

No, no and more no.

Chemistry is required by the vast majority of universities, you can get away with not having biology at more universities but it's still pretty vital.

Doing extra a levels is of no benefit in medicine. You need AAA, AABB won't cut it, nor will ABBBB etc. Universities publish their selection criteria and use varying combinations of GCSEs, ukcat, bmat, a level grades and personal statement to decide who to invite for interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are trolling right? Most people do 3 A levels and you definitely do not need 100% on your modules. I'm suprised you mentioned all of this and nothing about having work experience,volunteering, doing wider reading etc.
Original post by iamtheone19
i have looked at oxbridge they said they need physics or maths should i just do physics and bio and them and history

You just looked something up, and still get it wrong? :lolwut:

I'll be honest - from reading this thread by far the biggest obstacle to you getting into medicine is lack of basic comprehension and lack of ability to do basic research.

You cannot get into medicine with three A-levels. You need to have at least 4 A-levels and you need to have A*s and A's in your GCSE's as well a great command of the English language, the AT's, great experience, a great personal statement and a great letter of recommendation from your school and these are just the fundamental basic requirements. Everyone else that you are competing with is going to have all those things and more. So to be in with a good chance at getting a place to study medicine at a good university you need more than those fundamental basics. Perhaps consider doing 5 A-levels. Consider doing extracurricular stuff. Aim for 100%s in all your module exams and fill those details in the UCAS application. Let the university know that you scored 100%s in all your modules for all your subjects. If you want to be in with a realistic chance at getting an offer from a top university then you have to consider doing a lot more than what is required from you on paper.

Virtually every single statement made here is some degree of wrong. Such degree of wrongness is surely deliberate.
Original post by Cherub012
Actually physics is more relevant than maths. Obviously you may struggle with physics without maths.

Original post by Chief Wiggum
I'm relaying what a Cambridge admissions tutor has previously posted on TSR.

Original post by jneill
Yep, it's certainly sensible. Just not "required".

Additionally, I have data from Oxford which suggests that having maths significantly improves BMAT score, whereas having physics actually decreased it on average (albeit nowhere near significantly).

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
If you plan on applying to a BMAT university, take physics and maths.

If anyone replies to this saying "oh, it's only GCSE" eat ****

Note point above re physics.

The BMAT IS based on GCSE content. Its just difficult GCSE content presented in a way where you have to work stuff out for yourself. In my experience, the substantial majority of people who make the claim you are are those who didn't do well and are making excuses.
Original post by nexttime
You just looked something up, and still get it wrong? :lolwut:

I'll be honest - from reading this thread by far the biggest obstacle to you getting into medicine is lack of basic comprehension and lack of ability to do basic research.

Virtually every single statement made here is some degree of wrong. Such degree of wrongness is surely deliberate.

Spoiler

Additionally, I have data from Oxford which suggests that having maths significantly improves BMAT score, whereas having physics actually decreased it on average (albeit nowhere near significantly).

The BMAT IS based on GCSE content. Its just difficult GCSE content presented in a way where you have to work stuff out for yourself. In my experience, the substantial majority of people who make the claim you are are those who didn't do well and are making excuses.

so what do you suggest i pick

Why would I make excuses over having 6.7 in S2? I did all 3 sciences, along with maths and I'm merely recommending having AS physics and maths so that they don't have to spend extra revision time going over the concepts and remembering the formulas again. Your experience is probably tied down to a few members on TSR
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Why would I make excuses over having 6.7 in S2? I did all 3 sciences, along with maths and I'm merely recommending having AS physics and maths so that they don't have to spend extra revision time going over the concepts and remembering the formulas again. Your experience is probably tied down to a few members on TSR

I literally just linked you to data from thousands of candidates, but I guess your experience must be from more than that. My bad.
I literally just linked you to data from thousands of candidates, but I guess your experience must be from more than that. My bad.

Data is one thing, interpretation is another. You were being presumptuous, thinking that I failed and were making excuses for it? Yeah, it is your bad.
Reply 97
Maths I would say is really important, especially when it comes to problem solving, also goes really well with chemistry. If anything I'd say OP should take maths biology chemistry AND Psychology (if you can hack it). Tbh if you get mainly A's and A*'s at GCSE you'd probably be okay with a 4 a level curriculum. If you're bent on taking just 3 a levels, bio chem maths. Note this is just my opinion
to go to oxbridge you need to chemistry and than two from maths/biology/physics and if you want to do four, just take three of those and do one of your preference.

The data shows a correlation. That's as far as you can take it.

Quick Reply

Latest